240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Upgrading turbo--or not...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 01:26 PM

Upgrading turbo--or not...

Alright, here's the deal. I'm wanting more power but less lag (doesn't everybody?). Right now, I'm spooling up at about 2800rpm and pulling strong through maybe 4500rpm. With the digital tach it's hard to tell where it's at when the revs get high. Should I stick with the stock turbo and maybe rebuild it, or should I go with a different turbo. I was thinking possibly a T28 ball bearing unit. I'm not wanting a quarter-mile-car. 400hp would be nice, but I'm not really looking to get that. I'm wanting a daily driver that I can take out on the road course and be competitive with. Am I on the right track with the T28 or should I try a different route? Thanks!

Kel

Old 04-10-2002, 12:01 PM

Re: Upgrading turbo--or not...

Everything is basically stock at this time. The only mods besides suspension are a K&N cold air induction, a Ractive straight-through muffler, and manual boost control (turned all the way down). I have a Starion intercooler which I started to install but removed it when I learned it wasn't a very good intercooler to run. I'm still waiting on a second opinion on that matter. I thought any intercooler was better than no intercooler. The rest of the exhaust is stock along with the turbo which I'm guessing has around 200,000 miles on it. I've done no porting or upgrading of the injectors either. Some 420cc injectors are also on the to-do list. The motor does not appear to have ever been rebuilt so I'm assuming the miles are high on it too. I'm not ready to do a complete rebuild right now so I'm not looking to rev much higher than 5500-6000rpm. I know I need to get an intercooler on there before I start turning the boost up along with an RRFPR to keep up with the fuel demands. Am I heading in the right direction with the T28 ball bearing turbo?

Kel

Old 04-11-2002, 12:10 PM

Re: Upgrading turbo--or not...

OK, so upgrade the entire exhaust-- Here in Tennessee we don't have to worry much about emissions. The laws are there, but rarely enforced. I will probably run without a cat.
Now, once the new exhaust is in place, I should see a difference in spool up with the stock turbo, right? Here is my concern, is the stock turbo efficient enough to run higher boost levels to get me in the neighborhood of 300 wheel hp? Assuming the intercooler is installed and the fuel system upgraded to meet the demands of the boost. From a cost standpoint, I would rather just stay with the stock turbo if it will perform to my expectations. If not, then I will shop for a better turbo. What is a ballpark figure for refurbishing the stock unit, or is that even an option?
I really appreciate your input and advice. As you can see, I'm really quite ignorant on this subject, but thanks to the people on this site, and some magazine articles, I'm starting to learn a little bit. Thanks!
Kel