240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

rear end ready to blow? hi speed braking

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:10 PM

rear end ready to blow? hi speed braking

well ive been noticing when breaking from about 60-100mph down and not even hard braking per say i get this feeling coming from the ***.
i would comparte it to like... a big od jeep roling down the highway at 65mph with deep tred micky thompsons.....or a reallly broken whele bearing...or the worst balanced tire ever. but everything is fine under inspection later even the u-joints....i think.
now when on the normal city streets its fine unles it a hard HARD brake from god 50+mph down
i also feel a less intense but similar vibration from the car, under heavy acceleration at about 4800+ rpm's and climbing.
any idea guys?

my second question is i have a greatly fluxiating oil psi gauge,,, like no lbs at 4krpm sum times and 50lbs on idle... any ideas...thanks a milion guys.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:12 PM
The Good Twin

Have you checked the brake rotors?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Über User

yeah, if its when your breaking, i would think break rotars.... ummm.... replace all break's with brake's lol. why would you think rear end if its during braking (spelled it right that time )
Old 05-09-2007, 05:48 AM

well heres the thing all the brakes are brand new, on the whole car.
this was one of the things he was all but hurt over not selling me the car for les than 1400 kuz he took his car to brake masters and had them put in new everything, or maybe they told him he needed new everything, i mean the lines, calipers master cilinder and booster, pads rotors everything, is shiny new ive checked it all. cept the inside of the rotors, but i mmean hes got recipts and everything.
im leaning more towards suspension and drive train.
and im telling you guys i feel the same vibe's under hi rpm acceleration as i do hi speed, just 10 times worse braking from hi speeds. and it seeems to be coming from the back driver side setup.
carrier bearing? next time im gona toss it into N and break, give the driveshaft enuf time to stop spining????? maybe i can eleiminate that.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:11 AM
The Good Twin

Brake rotors...

Just because they are new doesn't mean they can't be the prob. Maybe he warped them... maybe he bought cheap rotors... maybe the rotor surface isn't completely flat...

I'm not saying it's absolutely the brake rotors, but it's got the common symptoms. If it were the differential, driveshaft, or other suspension parts, you'd feel it almost all the time.

I suggest getting under the car & checking everything up close & personal.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:15 PM
I have a present for you...

Raise the front and check for loose suspension parts by working the wheels side to side and up/down. Do the same for the rear, all the u joints. If it checks good you can take it back to the brake shop and complain. If they are reputable they should at least check it for you.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:24 PM

koo guys im gona go take a peek right now that i got sum time.
in between re-coating these loavers i scored with crisp black paint.
m praying it's just the rotors.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:57 PM

proud to say u joints and whele bearings all around are perfect. i poped of the rear drums, didnt see anything abnormal other than a blue burn, kinda like a flywhele after alota burnouts, only way i can describe it.
pads looked evenly worn....
however the shocks, i can lift them about an inch maybe a lil more with just basic force..... any 1 know the spring rate there supposta have?

tomorow im gona take the car to the brake shop that did the job, see what they think.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Über User

DOH! its an S30 the rears are drums, where those ever replaced? i bet they are shitty now, also , where your wheels on tight? all the lug nuts on nice and tight
Old 05-09-2007, 09:44 PM
I have a present for you...

The Z's aluminum drums have an inner steel braking surface. I think someone drove your car with the parking brake on. If they are blue then are surely out of round now. This explains the shake during hard braking. It sounds like the shocks are junk which explains the vibes and high speed. You've got some work to do. If you can't do it yourself your in for a large repair bill. The drums you can easily replace yourself. I you want to do the shocks we can walk you through it.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:53 AM

yes the drums were replaced.
everything was but im reallly not the best with drums, i could say the pads had a bit o wear on em. but it looked even
the shocks/struts i can do my self im just over it .
Old 05-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
Originally Posted by Cronicus
my second question is i have a greatly fluxiating oil psi gauge,,, like no lbs at 4krpm sum times and 50lbs on idle... any ideas...thanks a milion guys.

check yer sending unit. iffn it aint that--change yer pump.