240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

A real life Devil Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 10:23 PM
Banned

Dont have one i'll check youtube.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Banned

Hey guys i'm also wondering where else i can get a RB26DETT engine at besides ebaymotors? (prefered a R34 engine if possible)
Old 07-06-2006, 07:14 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsu...ZViewItem...if you really wanna recreate that z it would be nice to have it RHD like this one....man i would give up both my z's and my left nut for this
Old 07-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Banned

Nice but i already found the engine i'm going to buy http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-ca...x-com-eng.html
Brand new R34 engine in a S30 !
Old 07-08-2006, 11:43 AM

Well from my understanding i own a 71 240z and form the research and info ive been given they weigh a few pounds lesss. and im running 200 hp on it FLAT! and lets say its like .... a HORSE pulling 20 pounds :P do the math. haha but yeah a 71 and under weight about 200-400 pounds less than the 72 + thats without gutting. now if u gut it out. DAmn... you're talking busniess. but i mean u dont want a car so light that at high speeds whont have stability on the road u whotn be running fast. youd be FLYING LOW. dangerous stuff. but damn..... 800 hjp in a car so light its exagerating. KEEP IT REAL i rather have 300 hp in a 2000 pounda and spend $400 than have a 500 hp car weighing 3000 and vosting $ 20,000

the weight of a ca aloe is a major factor. and the holes in the pockets.... well... lets say gas aint so cheap now on days.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Banned

Thats why some people add body kits on their cars it improves downforce.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Big Poppa

but remember, the only thing touching the road is your tires!! and the brakes better be good too, whatever you can accelerate, you gotta slow down too
Old 07-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Banned

Exactly but braking at very high speeds is something that should be done with caution because braking hard can disrupt your weight and if you dont know what your doing it can end up in disaster . If i'm over 160 i usually engine brake with a bit of regular brake to not disrupt my cars balance.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Big Poppa

exactly, and brake fade is really bad at high speeds, unless you have the proper gear, like drilled or slotted. with my car i can go 200kph (whatever that is in mph) and really stop quick and safe cause of the better rotors, especially with my new rims and tires!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 12:10 AM

hmmm... a little practical knowledge of racecraft would bring a few things into light about who can outrun who....

Most road course tracks on the east cost have straights less than 1500' long... many are uphill.. a few have been modified(Road Atlanta) to reduce speeds built on going downhill....

Turns are where you spend most of your time around the course...

A lightweight car with a similar power to weight ratio WILL ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS.... always... "outrun" the heavier/more powerful car...

You guys can toss out everything you know about cars from the drag strip...

A Road Course is what the 240Z excels at...
You take a track prepared 240Z with original driveline out to the track with an experienced driver... and you will have a car that runs at the fornt of the pack... mildly modified 240Zs run in B street prepared...

There are a lot of expensive cars in BSP... check it out on SCCAs website.... Corvettes included...

With a few more modifications you can end up in E-mod... which has some MIGHTY POWERFUL and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ cars...

I have literally HOURS of in car video of me passing all kinds of expensive hardware..... ( I confess... I have more track experience than a lot of the Porsche drivers I pass)...

Here is a video of me passing a Mustang and a highly modified 350Z at VIR earlier this year... We are ALL on slick tires in the advanced run group..

Here is a 135 MPH run down the straight at Roebling Road

Here are a few shots at track....
Old 07-10-2006, 09:12 AM
Banned

Of course handling is a major concern of mine i never increase HP without improving handling. But yeah the thing i like most about the 240Z is its light weight which makes it a very good car in the hands of a pro tuner and driver. I hope when i fully tune this car that it can reach 300 KPH.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:21 PM

A few more points....

I have 3 240Zs... all of them are streetable track cars...
I have owned Toyota Mr2s from 1st and second gen....also tracked
I had an IROC in the late 80s.... Fun car... REALLY FUN CAR... fell apart
89 Honda Prelude.... really tame car...
92 Acura Integra... really tame car...
87 BMW E-30... as friggin fast as the Z... at least... but more expensive to operate...

In all cases the biggest track speed increases were obtained using track tires...
In all cases the second biggest difference was made by reducing weight...

some cars are easier to add horsepower than others... but this rarely pays off in track times...

Brakes don't do much by themselves to reduce times... what they do accomplish is improved driver confidence...

Running around a narrow track at the limits of traction requires BIG *****... ANYHTING you can do to improve your confidence without using drugs is going to improve your times...

Going fast around a race track hinges upon maximizing corner entry speeds... this requires great skill, a stable car, and HUGE *****.... Engine and brakes are the least important improvements to be made.... unfortunately they are all that armchair racers think about...
Old 07-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bjhines
A few more points....

I have 3 240Zs... all of them are streetable track cars...
I have owned Toyota Mr2s from 1st and second gen....also tracked
I had an IROC in the late 80s.... Fun car... REALLY FUN CAR... fell apart
89 Honda Prelude.... really tame car...
92 Acura Integra... really tame car...
87 BMW E-30... as friggin fast as the Z... at least... but more expensive to operate...

In all cases the biggest track speed increases were obtained using track tires...
In all cases the second biggest difference was made by reducing weight...

some cars are easier to add horsepower than others... but this rarely pays off in track times...

Brakes don't do much by themselves to reduce times... what they do accomplish is improved driver confidence...

Running around a narrow track at the limits of traction requires BIG *****... ANYHTING you can do to improve your confidence without using drugs is going to improve your times...

Going fast around a race track hinges upon maximizing corner entry speeds... this requires great skill, a stable car, and HUGE *****.... Engine and brakes are the least important improvements to be made.... unfortunately they are all that armchair racers think about...
QTF if you are not brave enough to push it and really use your brakes when entering a corner you dont need them. Skill over power everytime.

Last edited by BlackCrow; 07-10-2006 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Big Poppa

what my dad ALWAYS tought me at auto-x, brakes are for ******, people always walk up to me and ask "why dont you use your brakes much" i always say "they slow me down" all you got to do is be smooth and your car will not let you down or break traction
Old 07-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Banned

What if your going 320 KPH and theres a corner 200-300 meters away? But yeah usually brakes are used when not needed. I usually use engine braking.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:44 PM

Don't get me wrong... you need good brakes... just look at the nose dive my car takes at the end of the straight in the Roebling video... I have improved the brakes on that car.... but...

The shorter stopping distances big brakes will allow does not add up to that much of a difference in lap times..... as long as you can still enter the turns at optimum speeds...

It is just a lot harder to maximize entry speeds when you aren't sure how quickly it will bleed speed... the larger brakes allow you to use a smaller margin of error at the braking markers... and you don't need a confidence/test stab before the actual braking zone...

my car in the videos....

my brakes... drums in the rear BTW....

The brakes on the Wangan Midnite car are a good choice for the street... they would work well on track except that the rest of the car is so heavily modified.... might as well go all the way... big brakes are relatively cheap improvements.

Turbo... especially a carburated turbo system would be prone to sudden failure on track... I have seen more turbo cars blow engines on track than I care to think about... go check out a club event near you... less than 5% of the cars will have turbos... ask around about the turbo attrition rate at past events.... you will find that virtually every forced induction car anyone has run has blown up once a season... at least... many of them don't make it through one event... I know of 3 350HP+ turbo Z32s that have died the first time they were ever run on track...
I have video of a Porsche GT3 dumping his oil all over my windshield and the track... Subaroos and Mitsu's are well represented in Auto-X but are rarely seen on track... even then... I think those are some of the best engineered turbo cars to come around at an affordable price...

Last edited by bjhines; 07-10-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:44 PM
Banned

I have this on my Z33 http://www.injectedperformance.com/V...?ID=372&VID=36
I was thinking of getting it for the my S30.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:00 AM

Arizona Z car

http://www.arizonazcar.com/brake.html

Modern motorsports

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/ca...products_id=55

I am using the 12.2" Arizona Z car kit on my Hybrid 240Z...

You wan't to use as small a wheel as possible on the S-30s... big wheels make it impossible to properly lower the S-30 chassis... you don't want the lower control arms to point up at rest.... try lowering a 240Z with 17" wheels... it won't happen without relocating lower pivots...
Old 07-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Banned

Hey thanks i was looking for a good brake kit for the S30.