240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

PO cut the fuel rail?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:43 AM
Pez

PO cut the fuel rail?

Didnt really notice this before until I started this year's fall Z project, but the PO has hacked the fuel rail:

The masked nibs you see there are (from right) #1 and #2 injector. You cant see in the pic, but there are marks from a hacksaw where he took a couple tries at it. Perhaps he was impatient and was trying to take it off and decided to hack saw it. Anyway, these two cuts are not supposed to be there per the FSM, and if they were, they would have the proper nib style ends to securely hold a fuel line clamp.

While I'm not too concerned about leaks (it hasn't leaked in the 24 months I've owned it), I am a bit concerned that here is a section of fuel rail that is not secured to the manifold by anything other than two short pieces of fuel line hose.

If this was your L28, what would you do, if anything?
Old 10-01-2014, 11:53 AM

2 options

I would say there are 2 ways to go here, find a stock "trombone" fuel rail and use it, or have a custom rail made. Not sure if a rail from an 81 280zx would be compatible with your car, but I will soon have one available, I have ordered a custom fuel rail and it will be ready and shipped in the next day or so, so after I install it ill have no need for the old one. Not sure of the fit, perhaps Nismopick or one of the other Z guru's could give a definitive answer, I would give it away for just shipping charges, say about $ 20 shipped. Tips are excepted, you can always donate to my favorite charity "me"....

Jeff Thompson is the guy fabricating the rails, not sure what his sign on is here, but he is in several FB forums, like https://www.facebook.com/groups/164690436882353/
Old 10-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Pez

I see what you are saying, but if I can beg the question a bit, WHY does it need replaced?

A large question is WHY did PO cut it in the first place, but he long ago stopped responding to my texts....
Old 10-01-2014, 10:36 PM

reasons

I would say one reason, or concern with a rail in so many pieces, it just adds to the amount of possible connections that can leak, if all you need to do is put a few short pieces of hose in to get it all working, and you are good with that, it should be fine. I can kind of understand why it was cut up, when I 1st got my car, a lot of the rubber lines needed replacing, taking the fuel rail off in one piece involves removing a lot of stuff, it was most likely done in frustration, to speed up removal. You might want to get a flare tool, put some flares on the cut ends, so you don't have a fuel leak.. which turns into a 3 alarm fire.. bye bye car at that point. More of a safety issue if not done properly, that would be my major concern really, no leaks !
Old 10-02-2014, 05:45 AM
Pez

Yea, I will see about making some proper ends. It seems odd to me that I never noticed the extra set of hoses before. Now is the time to do it since I have the manifold and rail off.

Cheers.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:39 PM

I got a 280 fuel rail I'll give you as we'll I'm going aftermarket too just pay shipping and it's yours
Old 10-04-2014, 07:56 AM
Pez

Originally Posted by Turksspeedwerks
I got a 280 fuel rail I'll give you as we'll I'm going aftermarket too just pay shipping and it's yours

Fantastic! PM sent.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:08 AM

new to z driver

Where can I find an aftermarket fuel rail setup for my 260z? I'm running dual webers and need a show quality fuel line / rail. I don't mind making one but due to time restraints, I would rather just buy one ouright. I appreciate any suggestions, ideas, pics or information. Thank you for your help.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:04 AM
I have a present for you...

Originally Posted by k5ride
Where can I find an aftermarket fuel rail setup for my 260z? I'm running dual webers and need a show quality fuel line / rail. I don't mind making one but due to time restraints, I would rather just buy one ouright. I appreciate any suggestions, ideas, pics or information. Thank you for your help.
Go here Braided Stainless Steel Lines
and make a real nice fuel feed for not much $.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by k5ride
I haven't ever heard of anybody making a fuel rail for a dual Weber setup. They were usually just plumbed in with the stock fuel rail. The problem with an exposed fuel rail is that you'll pick up heat from the exhaust, and you might experience vapor lock. It's less likely with the Webers, but it could still happen depending upon your mixture and how well you're getting heat out from under the hood.

If you want one, you'll probably be making it out of stainless.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:27 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and link.