240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Newbie needing advice....Picture attached!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 03:42 PM
tah

Newbie needing advice....Picture attached!

Well i'm now one of the lucky few. I just bought a one owner 72 240 yesterday. The cars in Chicago and I'm in Virginia so I'm flying there next Friday and driving it home. That's why I need advice.

Basically I have three questions,

1 What tools (light duty) would you NOT leave home without. The car is beautiful and runs very well but I want some tools just in case!

2 What kind of highway mileage should I expect?

3. Approximately what RPM's will I be seeing at 70, 75, 80 mph?

Here's a shot of my new toy!

Edit: Also, what octane fuel are you guys using?
Attached Thumbnails Newbie needing advice....Picture attached!-front.jpg  

Last edited by tah; 07-31-2004 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:48 PM

First of all congrats on the nice looking Z!!

Tools: screwdrivers, pliers, wire snips/cutters, duck dape, socket wrench set, combination wrench set, hammer

MPG: from what I've heard some where around 20, I haven't hit the highway enough to know personally

RPM: depends upon the tranny/diff combination and how fast you are driving but you should visit this website to calculate the RPMs for your configuration
Old 07-30-2004, 07:23 PM
tah

texasz: thanks for the reply. The link you gave me shuts down IE when I try to go there.

As for the tranny/diff setup, I'm assuming the car has a completely original driveline. I was hoping someone with a 72 could tell me the RPM's they see on the highway.

I'm a little surprised these cars "only" get ~20 mpg. I guess that's 32 year old non injected technology for you?

Here's another Pic!
Attached Thumbnails Newbie needing advice....Picture attached!-left-rear.jpg  
Old 07-30-2004, 08:26 PM
I have a present for you...

welcome new guy

Wow! That's a real nice one. I bought my '70 in Anaheim, Ca. Filled it up and drove to Bishop, Ca. Took 8 gallons to fill it back up, a distance of 280 miles!
I couldn't believe it, my wife was following me in our Toyota (31 mpg). It took 9 gallons!
Old 08-02-2004, 10:46 AM
The Evil Twin

Yes, nice looking Z. I have heard that 20 mpg is more of a city milage for a 240Z. They do get better milage on the highway even with the 4-speed. The rear gear ratio is very high. 3.36 according to that web site.

70 - 3200 rpm
75 - 3400 rpm
80 - 3660 rpm (slow down!)

you'll get your best gas milage going 65-70 but that is quite a long drive. I would think you'll see anywhere from 24-28mpg on your drive.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:01 PM
tah

Thanks for the replies, I'll be back. Seems like a friendly place to get help and advice!
Old 08-03-2004, 11:46 AM

VERY nice car... i use 87 octane for now, but that's at stock compression in my 240
Old 10-11-2004, 09:45 PM

The 72 factory manual says to use 93 or 95 octane. The engine will tach up to around 4000prm @ 90 MPH. That is of course if you have a radar detector you trust.

I get 22mpg highway....far worse in town driving like an ahole....

You will likely not have the correct speedo gearing if you have low profile tires...speedos always read too fast.

GET AAA or some kind of roadside towing service. old car with some worn out parts...some are replaced many times.

Have the rear end and tranny drained and refilled....to check for any big problems looming and the extra insurance for making the long haul.

Pick up another set of points, a feeler gauge, hayes manual, and a dwell meter....performance coils added to these cars can greatly reduce the number of miles the car can go on a set of points.....big surprise when you stop for food and come out 20 minutes later and the car refuses to start.

GET A FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check the fuel rail and the lines to the carbs.
pick up an extra fuel filter or install it before you leave.....the low pressure fuel pump makes these cars very sensitive to restrictions in fuel flow.

Check wheels and feel lug nuts for high heat after the first 20 minutes of driving highway speeds.....you should be able to touch and hold on to the lug nuts. This could be brake or bearing problems....

If the parking brake does not work then likely the rear brakes wont work.

Check that the wipers work or rainex the windshield.

Keep a towel on hand to defog the windows...if the humidity is high...no AC=NO defog....

It would be nice to check the waterpump...since this is notorious for taking out radiators. you need to remove the belt to do this...might as well put on a new belt.

If you have the oil changed....don't put high viscosity oil in it...I use 5W30 in the south east....Fram filters are not as well made as Mobile1 filters( or most others)....I wont use Fram for fear of bypass problems. Synthetic oils are great in the engine...but not in the transmission.( they are too slippery for old-school synchros)

Have your mechanic check the driveshaft universal joints for play or excessive wear....I have had them fail...even with no play evident before they gave out.
The experience will shake you to your core...literally @ 90mph. Imagine a giant electric toothbrush strapped to your butt.

Ride with the windows up and the vents OPEN( there are 3 vents).....otherwise you will need an oxygen mask to make a long journey alive. Early Z cars are notorious for fumes in the cabin. Open windows actually make the problem WORSE. They allow air to rush out...and pull fumes in through every crevice in the back of the car.

I can think of more....but give that a shot...you will be pretty safe.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:12 PM

Congrats! Very nice car! You know that those OEM Headlight covers are impossible to find and go for around $300 a pair! Nice extra to have on your new ride.

ZCurves
Old 01-25-2005, 12:06 PM

What am I doing wrong

I have a 1973 240z and I am only getting 12 MPG with 70% highway/ 30% city driving. What am I doing wrong? How can I improve this?

BTW, Nice 240. I have covers on my lights but they don't look as good as those. Mine are cracking pretty bad. I also like the color.