240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Newbie needing an opinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 08:26 AM

Newbie needing an opinion

Hey guys,

I have been doing a lot of research and am trying to figure out what this car would be worth.. I don't know a whole lot about it until I go to take a look at it on Friday but I want to know what I should be keeping an eye out for. I don't even know what year it is. It needs floor pans, exhaust and paint but the body looks fine from what I've seen so far. The frame is good. The car runs fine. (this is coming from the seller so I don't know until I actually see it).

I will be doing a trade for my daily driver (just picked up a sunflower for a new daily driver). But I want to make sure this is going to be a fair trade and that my love for this car isn't clouding my judgement.

I can do body work and paint it at my shop.

Basically, if you were selling this car, what would you ask for it?

Thanks guys, I'm sure most of you get these questions all the time.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:19 PM

There's not a lot of info in those photos or your post for that matter.

Looks like a 240 or an early 260. Have to agree, paint may be required.

OK, it runs, but how many miles are on it? What's the interior like? Has the motor been messed with? I see an air dam has been added.

You say there's rust in the floors which really says there's rust somewhere else too. Rockers? Doors? Where else? I see a sun roof, another place which could leak and produce rust.

You really need to get more information.

Then you ask us what we'd sell it for. You really want to know what we would purchase it for!

If you are expecting a reliable daily driver right away, get something else.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:43 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

$500 if it runs maybe?
Old 10-17-2014, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by rogerz
$500 if it runs maybe?
At five bills, you might be able to do well by selling the parts, even if it doesn't run. Still, I wouldn't go over $800 if it turns out what we can't see is in decent shape. There are likely better cars out there requiring less work.

Last edited by beg3yrs; 10-17-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:55 PM

Congrats on your choice of cars. There's nuthin' like a Z!

But some Zs are better than others, depending on what you can do or want to do with it. My best advice is that a smart shopper is a comparison shopper. You are not likely to find a Z that old that doesn't need a lot of work - and work takes time and costs money, po$$ibly lot$ of money. If you are up for that, buy what turns you on and go for it. But compare prices before you commit. Best place to search is Craigslist. They will let you search for Zs in lots of cities and states near you and across the country. Get a feel for what the Zs you like are selling for before you decide.

Good luck!
Old 10-20-2014, 12:03 PM

Well she is mine now! Guy wasn't lying, it needs floor pans bad. But other than that, the engine bay is almost rust-free with the exception of under the battery tray. Frame is good, rockers, body panels are all good (a little bubbling). The engine runs great (it has new gas in it). Shock towers are good, areas around windows/sunroof are good. The brake lines look great in the engine bay, but the brakes don't work so their probably rotted somewhere. Interior is all there, seats are slightly ripped. It won't be a ton of work to get the body work done on this.

When I start stripping this thing down is there anything engine-wise I should be paying special attention to? I won't be driving this thing other than a couple of months in the summer but I would like to make it as reliable as possible without breaking the bank.

Thanks for your input guys!
Old 10-21-2014, 09:11 AM

First of all, congratulations! Welcome to the world of Z drivers.

I'm no expert on the internals of motors but ... there are a few things you can do.

You say the motor sounds good. That's important. No ticking, banging, whirring or whatever is nice. If you do hear that, other folk on the forum have more and better experience than I.

Even if the oil looks good, it won't hurt to change it. If you're ambitious, pull the oil pan and clean out the sludge in it. If you do this, you'll need a new gasket. Be sure to change the oil filter too.

Check and change your air filter if it's dirty.

Make sure your battery is sitting on a tray to catch any drips. Leaking batteries are the main reason that area of the Z is so rust prone. If you want, get one of those fancy gel batteries that won't leak. You should at least do some kind of rust treatment in that area to stop any more rusting. At best, get the rust all out of there, replace any metal that is too thin then prime and repaint.

Floor pans are important. Not cheap but even more expensive to let them go further. Do it right. One of my cars had fiberglass floos installed by a PO, right over the rust - bad.

I realize you've only asked about the motor - sorry for the digression ...