240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

New member. Old car. (56k, no)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 AM

New member. Old car. (56k, no)

The Story

I bought it one mile from where my parents live, when I was 17. I bought it from the original owner's best friend. He was getting rid of some of the cars to buy a vacation home in the Caribbean. Among his collection was a 996 GT2 that he would regularly drive.

The car had 70k some original miles on it. It was a L24 (2.4 inline six) with a four speed transmission. It had all sorts of crazy built in late 70's radar detectors, with detectors in both front and rear. It came with an extra wheel and literally every single receipt, note, service, window sticker, etc. He had already disconnected all the emissions stuff (airpump) and had switched the shitty emissions carbs to Weber DGVs.

Unfortunately, I think my mom threw it away as "junk."

A family friend and guy we went to church with built and raced Z's. I told him I wanted to learn, so he made me hang out in the garage and taught me how to do various things.

Initially, I just redid the brakes (new rotors, Hawk pads, Goodrich braided lines, Turbo master cylinder), suspension (eibach springs/tokico struts, all sorts of energy suspension bushings, a rear sway bar, strut bar (front and rear). Then I went autox'ing. They had a g-track set up and I had some r-compounds on.

Oil starvation (from the g-track) toasted the engine.

So then I bought a junkyard L28 (from a 280z) with flat top pistons. I had my e88 head rebuilt, cleaned, etc. I sent the block to an engine shop, they dipped it, resealed it, painted it, installed the ARP rodbolts, etc. Slapped the engine and head together. I also picked up a late model five speed and a 3.90 rear end to replace my 3.43.

After we put the engine in, we switched the points distributor to a Mallory Unilite setup, added a Crane ignition system, etc.

I purchased Motorsports Auto headers and exhaust system, we sprayed and wrapped the headers and part of the exhaust and built a custom heat shield.

I dropped the Weber DGV carbs in place of some early model SU side draft carbs, I had Arizona Z Car send me a rebuild kit and different needles/nozzles, threw airhorns on and then eventually added K&N filters.

Interior we added, a custom harness bar, Corbeau seats, a new tach, harnesses, stereo, push button start, d-shapped wheel, etc.

Various other things, upgraded the oil system and fuel system. Dropped the gas tank, had it dipped, cleaned and checked for leaks, added a Holley fuel pump and RRFPR. Bought a new oil pan, added the Turbo oilpump, replaced any hoses we could with new ones.

Obviously, their were other things, wheel bearings, etc, etc that were replaced.

The reason it hasn't been driven in two years is because after college I moved to Minneapolis. I lived in Uptown with a single parking spot (uncovered) and refused to park it outside. So my parent's, thankfully, let me keep it at their place. With the assumption that I would eventually move it. Now that I own a house, I can, BUT, the contractor has taken over my garage currently AND I want to give it a full going over and spend a few days with a mechanic tuning it, checking fluids, etc, so I don't find my *** stranded in Black River Falls, Wisconsin.

So that's mostly, the story. Or what I can remember at this point.

The Pictures

Yes the car is freaking dirty. It has sat unmoved (for the most part) for the last two years beside my dad's 73 (orange).

Old 11-27-2007, 08:07 AM

And a few more...

This is the one area of rust on the whole car:

Old 11-27-2007, 08:10 AM

Oh and don't bash the fart can. I didn't want a vertical mounted muffler or stacked twin tips. So I will have to figure that out eventually.

Next up are a set of Konig Rewinds, new tires, and some coilovers (although I am pretty happy with the current set up). And then finally uniting the car with my new house/garage.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:05 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Wow man, that is a tight looking 240z, you got there. Your father's is pretty sweet also. Both are verry clean, and in great shape. Good job taking pics also. And welcome to Zdriver man. You have come to the right place.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

great looking cars.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:49 AM

Nice. Anymore picture of how the harness bar is mounted?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by veyenyl
Nice. Anymore picture of how the harness bar is mounted?
Unfortunately, not handy. As I am back in Minneapolis now.

But it is mounted where the existing shoulder mounts (for the factory 3pt belt) go. Surprisingly sturdy and the SCCA didn't seem to have anything against it.

It is removable. It is just bolted up.

What wheels are you running on your Z (the one in your sig)?
Old 11-27-2007, 11:29 AM

Those are 15" graphite Konig Rewinds.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by veyenyl
Those are 15" graphite Konig Rewinds.

hmmmmm!

I was going to do the 16's. But the 15's look pretty damn good. I thought they had a polished lip?

I hate to be the total new guy, and I am sure I could search.

But where did you buy them? Those are EXACTLY what I am looking for. Are the rear's spaced, any clearance issues?

I looked at your Cardomain page and just posted a picture of your car on my Saab board (9-3ss is my daily), nice pictures, it says that it is "lowered" but on what, gc coils? Springs?

Looks great. You have done what I want mine to eventually look like.

Awesome!
Old 11-28-2007, 05:46 AM
I have a present for you...

Nice! The only thing better than a Zcar done right is two of them! Glad to see someone that isn't making a mess of a classic, if you know who I mean.

Last edited by theramz; 11-28-2007 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:10 AM
Political n00b crusher

A couple very nice 240s!!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Über User

very nice... what-er the plans once you get your hands on her? also, fart cans are sometimes the only solution, specially when you dont want an inline muffler and a 3" inlet one at that... kind-of a need in my book for a turbo car (which i know this isnt but im making ref. to mine) only thing i could complain/say would be to Re-hang the muffler... its to low. thats why it looks a little off. tuck it up and it flows good with the car. like this :

this was the best i could find
Old 11-28-2007, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Topher
I was going to do the 16's. But the 15's look pretty damn good. I thought they had a polished lip?

I hate to be the total new guy, and I am sure I could search.

But where did you buy them? Those are EXACTLY what I am looking for. Are the rear's spaced, any clearance issues?

I looked at your Cardomain page and just posted a picture of your car on my Saab board (9-3ss is my daily), nice pictures, it says that it is "lowered" but on what, gc coils? Springs?

Looks great. You have done what I want mine to eventually look like.

Awesome!
The full graphite is not as common since most people want the polished lip. Contact http://www.technotoytuning.com/ . He should be able to get you full graphite or full bronze. 15x7 0 offset. No clearance issues with 225/50s.

It only says lowered cause I really don't know for sure what springs I have . I inherited them with the car.