300ZX (Z32) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

New Member in need of Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:04 PM

New Member in need of Help!

Hey guys I just got a 1990 300 n/a automatic and it does have some issues was hoping maybe you guys can help. This being my first import i could really use it lol.

She has 90k on it and i have no idea on previous maintenance. when i first fired it up i let it run till good and warm took it down the road and and it would just stall almost shutting down couple time it did but would fire right back up. the radiator hose was sucked closed! So i let it cool pulled the cap and had a lot of pressure hose opened up. Took back up the road seemed to be doing alot better but still not right. checked the hose agin to make sure and it was good and about the same temp as before!

Pulled the gas cap and it was vapor locking bad left the cap of drove it back and seemed to be good.

someone has changed the shifter from stock so the button for the over is just kinda laying there (for now) But the car will not go into drive no matter what could that button have anything to do with it.

I could really use any helpful advise or tips and ideas on this car would be greatly appreciated.

Also has anyone tried a v8 swap in a 300 like a ls1 ?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 PM
Pr0n Addict

yeah, people do v-8 swaps, but they are even harder than a turbo swap. it's just a big job. most people would prefer a turbo swap. and better than that is to sell the N/A and get a turbo car.

as far as the problems, with a new car, a tune up is always good. on hot days, gas caps often have pressure on them. it's not vapor lock. if you get vapor lock in that car you're really doing something. new spark plugs, connections checked, air filters cleaned or replaced, ECU diagnostic, checking injector resistances, coil pack resistances, TPS setting, all things to check on a new car with problems. with more details, we can narrow down your problems.

as for the over drive, yes, that switch could be the problem. that's a big job, that i don't have any knowledge of.

that's a jspec isn't it? good stuff. that's the only good part of that body kit!
Old 11-15-2008, 02:11 AM

anyone have any ideas where to start as far as it not shifting into 3rd gear?