240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

My car stinks! no idea what it is.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:20 PM

My car stinks! no idea what it is.

There is a serious problem with my car that I cannot explain. I push my car outside to start it up. I let it sit for a couple of minutes then drive it back in and shut it off as soon as I can.

After 20 minutes my house reaks of gasoline. I have to keep all of my windows open just so I don't get fumed to death. And if I take the car around the block I come out of it stinking of gas! My eyes are burning at moment and I have my garage wide open.

I have no gas on the ground. I do have an exhaust leak where the header meets the resonator and I can see fumes coming from under my shifter on a cold day when it runs. But that doesn't explain why my house smells after I turn it off.

If anyone has ANY idea. This really sucks and I would like to fix this problem as soon as possible!
Old 04-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Über User

probably a mix between those gas hogs of a carbeurator you have and a straight through exhaust.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:39 PM
I have a present for you...

Webers are notorious for spitting gas. If your floats are sticking the bowls will overflow into the back. Your fuel pump could be over powering the needle valves and not letting them close. It doesn't take much gas to stink up a car/garage/house.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:52 PM

hmm ok, is there anyway to fix this?? or is this just the way they are.. I don't want to keep having to air my house out because of my car.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Über User

instead of airing out the house, air out the garage, after a drive leave it open and get some fans.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:29 PM

If you don't have a switch on the pump get one. Turn it off as you pull in and let it run out of gas at an idle so you don't lean it out. You only need 4-6 psi so make sure you regulator is working and you don't have to big of a pump.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:37 PM

thanks for the info, id have to get it checked out.. I don't know if this is a related problem but if the car has been sitting for longer than 4 hours or so. I have keep feathering the gas to get it to start.

I had an old 85 carb camaro that you needed to give just a tiny touch of the gas pedal to get going. With my 260z, you need to keep it half throttle for roughly 15 seconds just to keep it from stalling!

After starting the car I typically have to wait a minute before driving it before I can put the choke down and the car can drive without hiccuping. After all of that it runs fine. Any suggestions? Do you think this is related to the smell problem.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Über User

could be, did you tune/get tuned the carbs recently? i do think i remember keeping the triples tuned can be a tedious and reoccuring task.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:54 AM

Webers are more suited for racing but you can get them to work on the street. Featerhing causes the accelerator pumps to squirt and bring the speed up. It could be they need a quick r&r and adjustment. They are not that difficult to understand if you get a book and the syncronizer from MSA.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:20 AM

When I purchased the car, the owner said the carbs would need a tune soon. The throttle wasnt closing all the way so I attached a second spring so it would close.

Im assuming they just need to be tuned, i know a good mechanic that could do it, hes a little expensive but I never had any carb issues with my camaro, so I have no idea how to fix this myself. But if this is a reoccurring thing for these carbs i'd like to know how to do it so i dont keep spending money.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Hoov for Pres!

If they are dumping fuel, normal causes are dirty float needles, and old hard needle rubber, or possible a bad seat. Seriously doubt the seats for the float needles are bad. By guess, is that there is some debris on the float needles.
That, and anything over 5spi will not help. Too much pressure will bypass the floats capabilities to seal incoming fuel, and all the extra fuel will some out the throttle bodies of these carbs. They are not Holleys. There is no vent tube per-say. I have some minor linkage problems myself that I need to address. One being that they do not want to close properly. May not be a big problem on the track to idle high, but around the street, that's just a waste of fuel. I need to look into the problem further, because I am not sure what is binding them. The throttle stop screws are fine. And the heavy spring being used to make them return makes the throttle linkage stiff, and even bends the clevis on the linkage on the carbs to the shaft from the throttle.

It's not too hard to balance the carbs if you have a good balancing tool.

And, and old trick for motorcycle with multiple floats that are leaking is to run them dry, and the let the fuel rush in a few times. This will help clear the floats. BUT! Will push the debris into the rest of the carbs, possibly clogging jets.
Taking them apart and cleaning them is not to rough. And, probably a better idea. If all you have messed with was the Edelbrock or Holley on your Camaro, then you might want to read up on the Webers. I have not found a Weber yet that was hard to work on. Nothing to be afraid of, but if you would rather get a mechanic, then find one you can trust.

Good luck