240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Looking into buying a 260Z, LOTS of questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 08:18 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by MattD1zzl3
Can i expect this car to break reguarly every few months, requiring expensive repairs?
Only if you treat it like crap...

When i was getting a Z28, this was a foregone conclusion! Also, on a british buying guide i found, i see a "260" and a "260 2+2", with 10 less horsepower, and 1 second slower to 60MPH, which one am i getting?
FOR THE LAST TIME... THIS IS NOT A CHEVY Z28. And there's 2.2 billion websites and books that talk about Z's (history, body, engine, drivetrain, etc)... just gotta pop up that website called Google.

How easy are they to work on? Full of weird angles that are hard to get a wrench into?

Another RELATIVE question... I'd say valve adjustments & timing chains are easy... you might say changing a tire is easy.

Apparently you're going to ask EVERY question known to man about buying a car, before you even go look at it. Just go check it out, look it over good.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 PM

Fine i'll shut up, the thread title doesnt warn you of the nature of my situation enough i guess

I've just never bought a car like this before ,and i'm spazzing out. Forgive me. You guys have been super helpful, thanks a million!
Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 PM
The Good Twin

It's understandable to have a lot of questions... but we can talk about the "what ifs" all day. Checking out the car will answer a lot of your questions, I'm sure.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:53 PM

My not shutting up about the Z28 and fear of mechanical problems comes from being exposed to THIS engine bay:

Doesnt that look like FUN? *twitch* *twitch*
Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 PM
The Good Twin

LoL... Chevy V8's are about as simple as they get. I love it when people think Domestic motors are "super" complicated.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Stupid Hurricanes...

i have one of those summit stickers whats so special?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:08 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by 260zturbo
i have one of those summit stickers whats so special?

Buahahahahhahahaha!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 09:42 PM
West Coast!

aww come on the sticker adds at least 20 whp!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:10 PM

I had a Z28 before my Z.. and my conclusion is I wish I sold it off years ago and bought this sooner

This car is easier to park, better on gas, so far it's easier to repair and the parts are a little cheaper. Around here seeing a Z is very rare, nobody has them.. so it's unique and turns a lot of heads.

I can't bash the camaro too much, it was fun while I had it but I was missing out on this.. so go check the car out in person. search it high and low for rust. In the wheel wells, under the battery tray, frame rails, under the carpet where the spare tire is. That's how I found out my car use to be blue.. lol If the guy selling it doesn't like you snooping around it's because he is hiding something. So be careful but best of luck!
Old 01-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Über User

on my turbo 260 only thing ive had to do was stop the old shitty oil pan from leaking, ended up just getting a newer oil pan. and clean the connections on the EFI harness.....

oh and fix the mess the PO made of the engine harness when he preped it for a V8 swap
Old 01-19-2008, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
LoL... Chevy V8's are about as simple as they get. I love it when people think Domestic motors are "super" complicated.
Its not about being complicated, more about it being jammed into a engine bay thats not designed for it, with a super big and obstructive frame, its a pain in the *** to work on.

(For example, I belive there are bolts that you need to get at between the back of the engine and the firewall. You have about

|____| <--- This much distance to get something in and remove it, and 10,000 hoses and metal bits are also blocking you.)
Old 01-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Über User

thats cause 90's camaro's are pieces of **** to change anything even the header you have to DROP the engine. you cant even pull that ****. on our cars you got about 6 inches of space to get past teh intake manifold on the drivers side and on the passengers side you can almost step into the engine bay. search google for engine bay pics.

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 01-19-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:12 PM

Try not to be so insulting to other people man, you can not like a car without being a dick about it. No reason to start problems and make this a more unpleasant place.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Über User

dont be so sensitive not like im calling your girlfriend a dog face. plus i fixed the post to what i MEANT for it to say.

also, even from an economic stand point, do you know what the only thing the US is good for? they make good cigerettes, weaponry, and airplanes. THATS IT! the rest of the worl and even me thinks everything else the US makes is pretty much crap. i love my country. but they sure need a lesson in how to make things. oh and even though we were the inventors of the airplane, we were TERRIBLE creators and designers for that even until the early 1940's when we figured out the turbo and supercharger and england gave GE a turbine engine.

Last edited by snwbrderphat540; 01-19-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:54 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ It's all politics. We invented tons of stuff, but everyone else "improved" our ideas and took them as their own.

Anyway Matt... We're just messin w/ ya cuz you're bragging about a car we don't care about. You'd get the same response by joining a Ford Mustang forum and bragging about your Z28. Actually... they'd prolly hunt you down and mess you up. YIKES!
Old 01-19-2008, 08:37 PM

I didnt really think i was bragging, i was mentioning it as a base because its the only car i've had experience with mechanically. Sort of a "This is what i'm used to, harder or easer, less or more reliable? Less or more expensive". Everything is relative, otherwise nothing you all would say would have any real meaning.

In e-mail contact with the guy, waiting for him to call me back so i can set up a meeting.

Gonna have to spend about $130 in gas to get a Big v8 van up there with a trailer. I dont trust it to drive 4 hours from orlando to miami.

I know this is another question and i said i was going to stop, but how bad are they on insurance, because i'm afraid i'm a 22 year old with 4 points :P I know i cant get real coverage until i'm 25, but i'll have to make due with bare minimum legal coverage. I just dont want to spend 120+ a month for liability.

EDIT: And as a pilot, i can tell you for sure that nobody on the planet makes better airplanes then the US... **** airbus.

EDIT EDIT: Omfg snw is a pilot too.

Last edited by MattD1zzl3; 01-19-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:48 PM
The Good Twin

I know this is another question and i said i was going to stop, but how bad are they on insurance, because i'm afraid i'm a 22 year old with 4 points :P I know i cant get real coverage until i'm 25, but i'll have to make due with bare minimum legal coverage. I just dont want to spend 120+ a month for liability.
Another relative question... I pay $26/mo for my Z... Fubar pays $350/mo... It depends on your insurance.

Recent insurance thread: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showt...ight=insurance
Old 01-19-2008, 09:29 PM

Don't know if you read my response or not. but here it is again in simple terms so you don't have to ask it again.

I've owned the camaro and the Z.

Everything is better with the Z. cost of parts and repairs, cost of insurance, gas.. lots more engine bay room to work in, much lighter, doesn't have two child seats in the back that nobody can fit into. etc. list goes on.. not to mention you can fit almost any motor into it.

If you build up the camaro it is great for a straight line.. and it did have more leg room and comfy seats.. otherwise drop your camaro motor into a s30 and call it a day.. I wouldn't.. but IMO every part on the Z is better then the camaros.

My camaro was an 85, my friend still has a 98.. and the late 90's are a pita to work on compared to 80's. GM should have given a free engine lift with the purchase of a new 93+ camaro.

If you want any other z vs camaro info send me a msg, here is a picture of mine just before I sold it

Last edited by Black260z; 01-19-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:47 PM
Über User

I didnt really think i was bragging, i was mentioning it as a base because its the only car i've had experience with mechanically. Sort of a "This is what i'm used to, harder or easer, less or more reliable? Less or more expensive". Everything is relative, otherwise nothing you all would say would have any real meaning.

In e-mail contact with the guy, waiting for him to call me back so i can set up a meeting.

Gonna have to spend about $130 in gas to get a Big v8 van up there with a trailer. I dont trust it to drive 4 hours from orlando to miami.

EDIT: And as a pilot, i can tell you for sure that nobody on the planet makes better airplanes then the US... **** airbus.

damn straight im a pilot. lol. its to fawking cold here to fly though. and i just got a job at my school's airport. you just get a private? or what? i just started my IFR training. simulators are WIERD! haha.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 AM

Sorry, dropped out of existence over the weekend. No connection while moving cables and wires around. Hear back from the seller yet?

Insurance is all over the map with company, region, record, etc. The points won't help, but I don't know if FL is an expensive or cheap insurance state. It's worth shopping around as there's a lot of variation between companies. I pay zero insurance on mine because I'm doing a full rebuild so it hadn't been on the road in a few years until December, when I was finally able to drive it around the neighborhood a bit (illegally without plates). These cars are brain-dead easy to work on, super durable (unless you really treat it like crap, like Nismo said), and have tons of room. Open the hood, and you can see the ground all around the engine, no joke! The only tight space I can think of is maybe a little bit behind the dash, but even that's not bad.

The 2+2 thing you asked about was a variant that had a slightly stretched body and a nominal back seat (great for toddlers, and that's about it). The one you're looking at isn't a 2+2. There are some more pictures on zhome.com and probably around here, too. You'll know a 2+2 when you see it. They're supposedly considered less desirable because they are heavier, etc. Some people really don't like them. I wouldn't make a 2+2 my first Z, but I'd like to get one sometime after I finish my '78 and then rebuild my long-suffering truck.

Like Nismopick said, you could "what if" about it forever, time to go car shopping, and let us know what you find!
good luck,
Dave
Old 01-21-2008, 09:35 AM
I have a present for you...

You guys should try Hagerty classic car insurance. I pay $130 for min coverage and I have a clean DMV record. Yeah $130 a YEAR!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by theramz
You guys should try Hagerty classic car insurance. I pay $130 for min coverage and I have a clean DMV record. Yeah $130 a YEAR!
Not to threadjack, but I'd like to know some more about this, if you can share some info, theramz? It sounds like your situation would be pretty similar to mine, and I'm hoping to have to get insurance on mine in another month or two.
Does Hagerty have any kind of mileage or useage restrictions?
Can you do a declared value coverage (within reason, of course)?
If you've had to do any claims with them, how was the service, etc.?
thanks,
Dave
Old 01-21-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm a Registered User!

My not shutting up about the Z28 and fear of mechanical problems comes from being exposed to THIS engine bay:
Doesnt that look like FUN? *twitch* *twitch*
I think this will help you understand the engine-bay size of the Z.

(People are constantly putting Chevy 350's in them.)

SBC:

Original Engine:

I'd almost say you could stand in there with the engine.... maybe even sleep in there
Old 01-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Poor kid, no ruler

Haha, I was looking at that one the other day.

Good to see another guy from FL here.

Last edited by raythenegr0; 01-22-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Stupid Hurricanes...

idk if i would sleep in the engine bay but if i had a engine like this

http://www.martyricon.de/cool/cool/o...-1970-gto.html i prob wouldnt let it out of my sight......these cars are a blast and you can pretty much fit anything you want in them as long as you have the patience and money.

Quick Reply: Looking into buying a 260Z, LOTS of questions.