240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

I have some leads...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 10:55 AM
The Evil Twin

Re: I have some leads...

If you can...

buy the 280Z with no engine, and try to get one with less rust. Pay more attention to the body and if you can buy it cheaper without the engine do so. Then buy the 280ZX turbo that seems to have the best engine and least amount of miles. Put that engine into the 280Z.

Old 10-31-2002, 12:47 PM
The Evil Twin

Re: I have some leads...

Well, that swap is one of the easier engine swaps. The only thing easier would be swapping from a 2.4L to a 2.8L in a 240Z with carbs. but yes, the engine will bolt right up to the 280Z transmission, or you can use the 280zx tranny. ( I have heard that the ZX transmisison is longer, but I have also heard that it is the same length ) The ZX Turbo 5-speed is a Borg Warner T5 transmission and does have a different output shaft. Therefore you will have to use that part of the shaft and have it connected to your existing driveshaft. The 280Z transmission should do fine. (hopefully it is a 5-speed) Look for a more detailed writeup on this on the internet.

The engine mounts are the same which is another reason the swap is easy. The wiring harness is different as well as the turbo computer. But since the 280Z has its own harness, you just remove it and re-install the turbo harness along the same lines. Not everything is the same of course. The turbo engine has a few more sensors to connect and it has some outputs to extra guauges. You might want to install aftermarket boost guage and oil pressure guagues anyway. Besides that, there isnt' a whole lot of custom work to do, just some figuring out.

There are many pictures on this board of the first gen Z's with a turbo engine in it. Check out the rides section at the top of the screen. 70-78

After you have it in and driving really good (after your tune-up) you can do some research into turbo upgrades, intake/exhaust upgrades ect to get more power.