240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Could be a bad fuel pump? 77' 280z

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 03:37 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Could be a bad fuel pump? 77' 280z

Haven't purchased the 280z yet, but I'm working with the owner so I can drive the thing to my garage to save on uhaul tow dolly costs.

The car has spark, and we tested the AFM, the fuel pump is kind of shakey. Most of the fuel pumps I've had ran smooth and didn't vibrate as much.

What he has going on (car needs a new fuel tank) is this:

There is an aquafina bottle of fuel in the engine bay, with a hose coming from the fuel pump into the bottle, the fuel pump goes to a T-splitter, and one of the branches goes to the incoming fuel to the FPR, and the other side of the T goes to the return fuel line, as you can see by my finely illustrated diagram

The car DOES start momentarily with engine starter fluid, I will T/S the issue tomorrow with all/any ideas here.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:32 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Something makes me think that the fuel pump is faulty, cause the one that he has shakes... alot, which is what my Rx7 fuel pump started doing once it started crapping out, like it wasn't getting enough power

One thing, should I have the other hose (coming from fuel rail) go back into the bottle of **** Fuel, instead of going right back into the flow of gas?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:51 AM

From what I gather, someone stuck an aftermarket fuel pump under the hood. That could mean that the stock fuel pump at the tank is not working. I take it this car has not been converted to carbs. What you need to do is confirm the stock fuel pump is working or not, if not then find out what pressure the aftermarket pump is putting out. Fuel injection needs a high pressure pump.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:29 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by 240ZGL
From what I gather, someone stuck an aftermarket fuel pump under the hood. That could mean that the stock fuel pump at the tank is not working. I take it this car has not been converted to carbs. What you need to do is confirm the stock fuel pump is working or not, if not then find out what pressure the aftermarket pump is putting out. Fuel injection needs a high pressure pump.
Car is still FI, I will lift up the *** and see if the pump is still there and use that one if possible.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:35 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

IMO that doesn't look like it would be a fuel pump for this car. It looks like an in-tank pump

Old 07-01-2011, 11:37 AM

Go to motorsport or black dragon and look up the parts like the fuel pump. Look at a picture so that you know what to look for. Motorsport shows a fuel damper that to someone that does not know what to look for looks like a fuel pump. Do the research
Old 07-01-2011, 11:05 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

I got the car to kind of start, it would idle around 300, and if we touched the gas it would want to die, mainly because we were opening the throttle body without the fuel pump being connected to the correct power source, so it was getting more air than gas

I will set the car up with a stock fuel pump and my quasi-gas tank, basically the set up here, except with the fuel pump being connected to my little red gas can instead of the cars actual gas can, and we'll see if it works, if not, probably clogged injectors

Finally started a Z myself for the first time in over two years

So basically right now everything is *normal* except for the pumps power source, it isn't being controlled, but that will be fixed here in a couple days.

Originally Posted by 240ZGL
Go to motorsport or black dragon and look up the parts like the fuel pump. Look at a picture so that you know what to look for. Motorsport shows a fuel damper that to someone that does not know what to look for looks like a fuel pump. Do the research
Completely aware of the difference of the dampener and the pump.

I'll have to consult the book on this one, I'll have to splice wires, as the wiring to the fuel pump from the relay is starting to fray and needs replaced. There may also be a relay issue, as the pump currently on the car does not turn on, or it may be the pump itself, we shall find out.

I'm excited for Z

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 07-03-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:14 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

My threads are never exciting.

no power from Fuel Pump relay

my heart is crush't

how would I go about rigging it without the relay so that the fuel pump reacts to the TPS as far as speed goes?

Or am I going about that wrong, that the fuel pump stays at the same speed, and its the injectors that change pace...

Edit: How do I make it with the car? Show her a good time? I never screw on the first date

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 07-11-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:21 PM
I have a present for you...

It's the pressure regulator that reacts to useage not the tps. The fpr keeps the constant 35psi required. You can operate the pump via a toggle switch.
Check that fuel pump intake filter-http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuelpump/index.html
Old 09-13-2011, 08:24 AM

That fuel pump under the hood is the same type/style as the aftermarket pump i have by my fuel tank. And it works perfectly fine. However if the owner is concerned with the fuel tank try adding an inline filter; my tank was terrible and i swore on the fuel pump until i took a good look at the filter and it was clogged. Even a slight restriction in the fuel system causes failure
Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 76 2+2
That fuel pump under the hood is the same type/style as the aftermarket pump i have by my fuel tank. And it works perfectly fine. However if the owner is concerned with the fuel tank try adding an inline filter; my tank was terrible and i swore on the fuel pump until i took a good look at the filter and it was clogged. Even a slight restriction in the fuel system causes failure
and also experience with my 280 2+2 is that that your symptoms are very similar to those i faced. Raise idle speed too, that's done with a small screw on the intake manifold towards the air filter