240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

Can I sit at this table with y'all?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 02:38 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Can I sit at this table with y'all?

I feel like one of the cool kids now. $200 and a Ford Festiva later:

Crank, No start, but does idle with constant engine starter spray, so, fuel system revamp here we go!

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 09-03-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:19 PM
The Good Twin

ooh! Keeping it n/a?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:34 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by NismoPick
ooh! Keeping it n/a?
Possibly, the frame rails on my zx are in pretty rough shape, if they prove unsalvageable, idk =/

Plus my friend has a decently sized Holset he may sell me to upgrade on my ET

But right now she shall stay L28E
Old 09-04-2011, 08:46 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Just going over routine check, found that all 7 (coil too) spark plug contacts on the rotor cap are rusted, enough that I busted one of the wired trying to get it out even after letting it sit for a while in PB blaster, also the TPS connections are corroded, same with the AFM, let them sit in PB/Toolboxbuddy for a while.

Also found out, didn't notice this until today (after hounding this car for about two months) that four of the injectors are black, and two are green. All six of my turbo injectors on the rail, are black. I also remember reading somewhere that N/A = Green, T = Black, correct?

I need to take the screws out (as they are stripped, hex screws incoming), to get everything cleaned.

All plugs are good, dirty, but they have no concerning flags (Like... coolant..)

No other real updates now. Will probably drop the gas tank to fabricate an almost replica from sheet metal/what I find to be safe, as that tank is toast...

Sending unit, rest of the tank is identical
Old 09-07-2011, 12:23 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Whelp, I went through, checking everything, the plugs were rusted at the dizzy cap (and at the coil too D= ), so I replaced the Cap, wires, and brought over my MSD coil from my S130, cleaned everything, got the broken injector bolt fixed, found out which injectors worked, which didn't (All were firing before I bolted them in, now #1 and #2 are not firing )

But it idles, kinda rough, but its an idle without dieing

Also found out that the alternator is shot. So I'll be replacing that with my old one that I have, should still be good.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:09 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

I think this is my first video proof of one of my Zs running

http://youtu.be/8ZgWGQwgdXM
Old 09-09-2011, 02:55 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Found kind of an issue today, the Z will start, idle regularly, but then the RPM will drop and eventually it will die, no matter how much I mess with the idle screw or the TPS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MCR-CkOzs8
Old 09-10-2011, 04:04 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

One thing I noticed in the other video. Is your tachometer is about 250rpm's off or so. When the car is off it is above zero. Anyway, did you try adjusting your AFM? Maybe you need to richen it a little. It would be cool if you were closer. I bet I could help you more being there.

It sounds like in the beginning it runs real good. Then as soon as it warms up, it seems to bog down, and idle erratically. So I am sure your cold start valve is working properly. But yeah check your AFM, and see if it is good inside. Also turn the gear counter-clockwise some. And see if that helps. Good luck man. Oh, and I am jealous. lol I want an S30 pretty badly.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:07 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by WildmaN
One thing I noticed in the other video. Is your tachometer is about 250rpm's off or so. When the car is off it is above zero. Anyway, did you try adjusting your AFM? Maybe you need to richen it a little. It would be cool if you were closer. I bet I could help you more being there.

It sounds like in the beginning it runs real good. Then as soon as it warms up, it seems to bog down, and idle erratically. So I am sure your cold start valve is working properly. But yeah check your AFM, and see if it is good inside. Also turn the gear counter-clockwise some. And see if that helps. Good luck man. Oh, and I am jealous. lol I want an S30 pretty badly.
I am using a different AFM, its one that I picked up from the salvage yard, I can try switching meters. The one that was on there didn't have the same number of pins on the meter as the plug did, but the one on there now has the same number of pins as the plug, but I can try using the other one. And also, the other one did not open all the way, it opened about halfway and then would stop, I can grab part numbers. They're both for L28 N/As but one is a 1979 S130, but I'll grab numbers later.

It was just timing, I've wanted an S30 for a long time, and just so happenstance that a Festiva Fanatic had a Z and me, a Z fanatic had a Festiva.

I'll also be heading to AZ next July for a family reunion, and I KNOW that there will be tons of downtime, so I may take a cruise <.<

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 09-10-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Primer Grey FTW!

It's worth the drive to meet WildmaN, I met him in august. He is an awesome guy!
Old 09-10-2011, 02:12 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by evandubya
It's worth the drive to meet WildmaN, I met him in august. He is an awesome guy!
The place we're staying is about a 20 minute drive from Mesa I believe.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:06 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

I have an intake/exhaust gasket for my L28ET, will this fit on the L28E that's in my 77?

Gasket needs to be replaced pretty bad, just wondering if they're compatible? I would think so..
Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 PM
The Good Twin

If the exhaust ports are square, then it should.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:13 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by NismoPick
If the exhaust ports are square, then it should.
Well, they're not, but I lay the gasket over the head, and it looks like it will work.

Right now I'm in financial "oh ****" mode, so I'm working with what I have, and it looks like there won't be any restriction.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:12 AM

Fun Times

Grats on the new project, Keep us posted as you restore her. Always glad to see an old Z saved from ruin. Post more pics as you progress.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:06 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by WanganDevilZ
Right now I'm in financial "oh ****" mode, so I'm working with what I have, and it looks like there won't be any restriction.
Fix n flip yo! Cash in ya pocket.