240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

75 280z fuel pump not turning on

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 03:19 PM

75 280z fuel pump not turning on

Just picked up a 75 with all the original efi system, stock air filter, coldstart, smog pump even. I got new gas in it, new oil, and new filter. Turn the key forward and like two lights come on on the dash(fuel light not being one of them). Try to crank it over, engine turns, cant hear fuel pump pumping and lines dont feel pressurized.

I know, I'm going to check power at the pump first, then trace my way back after checking relay and fuse, but my question is:

Are there any super super common things that would keep the fuel pump from going after its been sitting for 14 years?

The guy i bought it from, who was a family friend who has no reason to lie, said he drove it into storage (right after doing a nice burnout). So it did run, and it also passed emissions.....not todays "if obd says its ok its safe for the environment" kind of emissions, i mean the one where they actually analyzed the exhaust contents and see if it was safe for the environment and IT PASSED. This was 1996 though, so a good long time ago.

Besides what I mentioned above, I'm going to replace fuel filter for fun. Let me know if there is some wierd valve that likes to stick after sitting for a while that would keep the pump from wanting to move.

I'm guessing its electrical though since it should come on no matter what when you're cranking.

Let me know!
Old 06-02-2014, 05:40 PM

Guessing bad ignition switch contact (esp if switch original), blown fuse, blown fusible link, open circuit somewhere, bad fuel pump. '75 is way before my time. See what the 280 pros here think. Problem is not terminal tho, so you and your Z will run again!
Old 06-02-2014, 05:54 PM

Bad relay

Some Z's have up to 3 relays involved in operating the fuel pump. From my experience, just sitting, especially in a humid climate relays can freeze up. My Lights / key warning dinger was just a click for months while I worked on it. Once I started driving it, it slowly worked it way back to a full ding ! So sometimes repeated use will refresh them, but you might need to replace one.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:09 PM

Fsm

In the EF section of your manual on page 15/67 of the pdf covers the fuel pump.

Download a PDF version of the manual

XenonS30
Old 06-13-2014, 09:36 AM

I'm always so slow to respond to check back on these.

I also was so excited to buy the car that I didnt even realize it was actually a 77. It doesnt make a difference to me as I found out the year change before i bought anything, but if anything its better cuz it was two years after there introduction of the efi and lsd so they had some kinks worked out hahaha

I have since replaced the pump, sand blasted and then re painted/protected the entire fuel pump mounting assembly, replaced with stainless steel hardware and anti-seize, and bought and installed a new pump. Still didnt prime when in the on position, but turned on when in the start position and I eventually got it to start. (after 15 years of sitting and just changing the pump and gas it was still able to start....thats awesome in my book)
Just need to figure out why it didnt prime and then replace all the exploded fuel hoses on or around the rail that happened during idle haha (might be a sign of bad fpr but i think its more age/condition of hoses than anything). I'm not going to get super into getting this engine to run perfect as I'm doing a v8 swap after all the body work is done, but I just wanted to have a working original backup plan in case i need to sell the car in original condition. Its a numbers matching california (complete with smog pump and floor temp sensor/dash light) 77 280z coupe so i think I'm in a good place right now lol
Old 06-13-2014, 10:53 AM

Cool

Good to see you got her running, since she is complete, if and when you pull the motor, keep all the bits together, some other z guy missing some little thing will thank you I'm sure. V8 swaps can be a easy way to big power, cubic inches rule in that domain. Since it is an s30, there are tons of fun parts to bolt underneath to help put all that v8 power to the pavement.

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/280z
These guys have an inventory to drool over, I never considered robbing a bank, but I might to get these toys !