240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

'71 240z compared to an '81 ZX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 04:56 PM

'71 240z compared to an '81 ZX?

Okay, so both of the Z's I've owned were '81 280ZXs. I've been having a lot of problems with my current one and am almost to the point of giving up on it. Even if I do get it running again, everything else is shot too. Only reason I've held onto it so long was purely sentimental. At this point the thing is just wearing tire spots into my driveway, I'm sick of it, so I've kind of maybe decided to start looking for another one. A guy in my father's Z club (my father recently bought a '75 280z after hearing me talk up the Zs for so long) has a '71 240 for sale that's pretty cheap and actually really solid. I'm thinking about getting it...

Now, I've always had the S130s, never even driven an S30. I like the styling of the ZX a little better and it seems a little more sturdy to me. I know it's heavier, but TBH I really don't like extremely light cars (yeah I know about the whole power to weight ratio thing, it's not all about that though), they seem kind of rickety and squirly to me. I feel as though a car with just a little more weight to it will stay planted on the road better if you hit a bump while cornering. I've also heard that S30s aren't even very stable in a straight line at high speeds because the aerodynamics produce a lot of lift.

Basically I'm asking if anyone's ever had both the S130 and S30, or at least have some experience with/ knowledge of both? The 240z is a little small for my taste and I don't really like carburetors, but I can live with it. Does the S30 really handle that much worse than the S130? Are there any good ways to upgrade the brakes and suspension for cheap? Everyone says the 240 is faster because it's lighter and no emissions, is this true? Does anyone know any big drawbacks about the 240, or advantages for that matter?

Sorry about the long post, I'm just looking for some opinions. This is a big decision for me and I just want to be sure I'd be making a good move. If anyone has any input at all good or bad, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

(Merry Christmas by the way!)
Old 12-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Ruff Ryder

The 240z is actually not much smaller then your s130, it's like a s130 with stiff suspension and carbs. But the actually appeal of driving a 240z over a 280zx is just that much better, especially when you drive it somewhere and you get a line of people telling you how they like it.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Political n00b crusher

240Z= sports car

280ZX= sporty luxury car

Depends on your priorities.....do you want sportiness or more luxury? The 240Z is definitely more agile with better handling and a total sports car feel, whereas the 280Zx is more comfortable and a better cruiser with more luxury features.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:07 PM

Well the luxury aspect is definitely a nice thing to have, my red one was great like that, but the one I have now is pretty much stripped anyways so there's not much luxury left. I removed the air conditioning, cruise control, power steering, a lot of the interior is gone and this one didn't have many of the good options to begin with (slicktop, no climate control, etc...). I definitely prioritize fun driving and sporty capabilities way over some stupid creature comforts.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:02 PM
The Good Twin

Maybe you missed this...

Old 12-25-2011, 07:42 AM
Political n00b crusher

What was number 1?
Old 12-25-2011, 09:15 PM
The Good Twin

The Mitsubishi EVO VIII. Granted... that article was from 2004.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Political n00b crusher

Ok, I figured it was the Evo.

Still, if you go by style and ability to turn heads alone, the 240Z wins!
Old 12-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Über User

And weight creates more inertial force so actually a lighter car stays planted better and is better handling than a heavier car. They do have bad aerodynamics but they drive just fine. I did 125 in my 280z on the way back from Springfield and it stayed nice and planted. The biggest thing they create is drag. And I've never heard anyone say they like the look of a s130 over an s30. How much for the 240 give us details where you located. Can I buy it lol
Old 01-03-2012, 08:53 AM

Had an 80 ax ad now a 72' 240. The zx was a lot more comfortable to drive. More like a new car. But going back to the carbureted years you have to like to tinker and like a very visceral driving experience. It's not just carbureted rather than injected you also get rack and pinion steering rear wheel drum instead of disk generally less hydraulic help all around. I love my 240 but it is certainly miles apart of a driving experience from the zx
Old 01-30-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
And weight creates more inertial force so actually a lighter car stays planted better and is better handling than a heavier car.
The thing I don't like about light cars- when hammering down back roads if I come up over the crest of a hill and the road is not completely straight (or even if I hit a large bump in the road when coming to the bottom of a steep hill), the car is more likely to try to get airborne and even if it doesn't it picks up a little makes traction that much less, causing the only situations where I've ever spun out in my life. I know what you mean about the added force and inertia of heavy cars, that'll certainly make you understeer, but that doesn't conflict/ isn't my main concern with my personal driving style.

They do have bad aerodynamics but they drive just fine. I did 125 in my 280z on the way back from Springfield and it stayed nice and planted. The biggest thing they create is drag.
Oh I'm sure it's possible to keep it goin down a nice wide highway, and I've gone 131 on the highway in my zx for a little while and that was dandy and all, but I'm really more afraid of high speeds down narrow roads through the trees. I live in the woods man, look at the sig picture, I've got real reasons to be worried about those trees... A car that gets squirly is not good for me

And I've never heard anyone say they like the look of a s130 over an s30.
Now you have

Lol my father is the same way though he loves to give me **** about the fact that I've had only S130s and say I prefer the styling. I don't think the S30s look bad or anything they're actually quite similar, but I've always been partial to larger/ beefier cars and the S30 is just a little too bare-bones and old school looking for me. Don't get me wrong, I still love them, I just got a thing for the ZX, can't really say why.

How much for the 240 give us details where you located. Can I buy it lol
I'm in Connecticut, but the car is out in Colorado near my father, I hear it was originally a Cali car. Lol no way a 71 240z would still be in one piece (or still have a floor) here in New England 40 years later. My father is actually going to go look at it for me on friday, I'm gonna have him take some pics of it and have him drive it for me to tell me what he thinks. I'll let you guys know what happens. Heh, and no, you can't have it.

Last edited by Switchtr3; 01-30-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Über User

As far as over a hill gravity works at the same speed on all objects so that shouldn't be a worry for you. N high speed on narrow roads cam be fixed with proper suspension and wheels/tires.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:35 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

And weight creates more inertial force so actually a lighter car stays planted better and is better handling than a heavier car. They do have bad aerodynamics but they drive just fine. I did 125 in my 280z on the way back from Springfield and it stayed nice and planted. The biggest thing they create is drag. And I've never heard anyone say they like the look of a s130 over an s30. How much for the 240 give us details where you located. Can I buy it lol
I said it. lol I have always liked the 280zx S130 better in many ways.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 AM

Z versus ZX

I have an 83 280 zx now and I love driving it , but my favorite Z was a 77 280z it handled just as good as my 83 , had more power and it was also fuel injected so no carb problems
Attached Thumbnails '71 240z compared to an '81 ZX?-100_1974.jpg   '71 240z compared to an '81 ZX?-100_1977.jpg   '71 240z compared to an '81 ZX?-picture_26-640x480-.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 11:39 AM
The Evil Twin

These days nobody would ever buy a modern version of the 240Z. (not enough to keep one in production)
People want their basic luxuries in a sports car. 2 seats, RWD, and 300 horsepower just isn't enough. The base model Z-cars are seen as worthless. You think power windows and steering is luxury. These days you can't hardly sell a used 350Z if it doesn't have heated leather seats, traction control, and GPS!
All power options are just considered standard equipment.

The 280ZX has 10 years of more modern crash protection over the 240Z as well. Reinforced doors for side impact protection. Front and rear bumpers (not just chrome trim).

You can actually SEE the gauges at night on a 280ZX. They had the first visually decent gauge set in a Datsun.
As for the looks, I think the 280ZX does well with some removal of the original 80's styling. Less chrome, better wheels, firm suspension.