240Z, 260Z, 280Z (S30) Forums Dedicated to first generation ZCars

280z with thump

Old 09-30-2004, 11:32 PM

280z with thump

Im looking to get a 79 or older 280z but right now focusing on what ill be doing to it. One must for the audio is two 18" subs (rockfard, JL, or audiobahn so far from what ive seen) and have about 1500 watts to them (i dont need it THAT loud). My question is custom enclosures. Ive looked all around and cant find any facotry made or anyplace here in chicago area thatll hand make one either. Can someone help me out? I want the 2 18"s right behind the dirver and passanger and facing towards the back and i want it to look nice and easy to cover up (so no one rips it off). thanks for any response.
Old 10-01-2004, 07:30 AM
East Coast Style

Why in the Hell do you want 18" Subs? I worked for a reputable stero shop for about one and a half years, I have made Z31 cars hit 149 db's with one 12" sub! Your biggest problem is room, I dare to say you will have enough room for 1 18" sub. It would take at least 2 cubic foot per sub of air space for a sealed box much less a ported box. The last one I built for my friend in his 87 300ZX included 2 12" JL Audio Subs in a sealed box, they sit 6" away from the rear hatch(they face the rear). The box itself takes up the entire hatch which leaves enough room to put the T-Tops behind the passenger and driver seats. It hits hard but the car is useless for anythig else. Have a custom enclosure built in the drivers side rear corner and face 1 12" Sub out, This will give you plenty of Bass so you can spend the rest of your money on custom enclosures for the mids and highs(front and rear)
Old 10-06-2004, 10:31 PM

ok if the car is a 79 it's a 280zx and your in the wrong furum, 75-78 is a 280z
and I am quite sure there are plenty of shops in chi town fully capable of that kind of custom install you just havn't found them, although I fail to see why you'd do that, I used to play with audio till I found out it makes my car slower
Old 10-09-2004, 02:17 PM

I guess it all just depends on what your goal is. If you want a trailer queen/sunday driver that's built for no purpose other than to look good, then go for it. Although, I tend to agree with EZDUZIT. I don't think the early zx's have enough air space to give 1 18" good bass without some serious distortion. If you go with a JL Audio W-6 series (if they make 'em still) of any size with the right ported box you'll have more bass than you can imagine. I like Boston Pros, too.

On the other hand, if you want this thing to have any ***** whatsoever go with a set of good quality 6x9's with a custom rear panel box and spend the rest of your money on speed parts. A car that gives you an e.t. in the 11's and sounds like it has a sick V-8 will get you laid a lot quicker than a sound system that gives your girlfriend a migraine.

Just food for thought.