300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

accelerate.... thump!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:48 PM

accelerate.... thump!

Whats up guys? New guy from NC (didnt see an intro section). Anyways, i just picked up an 86 z31 turbo recently with 133k on the clock and an in thick stack of routine maintenance receipts from the PO. Everything has been pretty well kept up minus the spark plugs (though i found a receipt from about a year ago claiming they were changed). This is my 36th vehicle, 2nd z31, first turbo car.So its kind of an all new yet familiar world. I have a couple of concerns that i'll be looking in to this weekend, but i need some guiding light on the most common symptons to check first.

First off, I notice when im at cruisinf spee if i let off ths accelerator, then blip the pedal a little, theres a loud thunk sound under the car immediately followed by a backward foward kinda shake (you car hear the thunking sound faintly during the buckin motion). It almost sounds like the clutch disc is springing around between the flywheel and p plate. But from a few searches here, ive seen some talk about bad u joints causing similar problems/sounds. I couldnt really find an exact match by description which is why Im posting. I had this same issue with my last Z but never noticed until after i put 6 puck clutch in it.

Issue 2: Theres a pretty louding whining noise coming from the front of the engine after it warms up. I checked the fan clutch first. Seems to work fine. I can stop it by hand when not engaged. Checked the PS pump since the PS sort of comes and goes at random. But it appears to be on the driver side. Water pump was installed anout 16mo ago according to documents, still looks new. Could it be the 26yr old turbo? I found a video on youtube of the same sound on a z32, but all i using is a phone which wont let me post it here. I just recently changed the oil, plugs, wires and cleaned fhe button/dis cap. Im not sure if its been there all along and i thought it was the spooling or its just recently started since the oil has been changed. Ill be lookjng into it thisweekend while installing the boost gauge, boost controller and BOV. Any input will be appreciated.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 PM

Broken motor mount? for the clunking
Old 03-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

clunking in the rear often the diffy mount.