240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Throwout Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:17 PM
NisTuner

Throwout Bearing?

I'm thinking about checking out a 240Z for sale soon. In the description it says:

The engine runs very well and the tranny is okay (grinds a little from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 2nd. The throwout bearing needs replaced, and squeaks when it gets warm.)

Now I don't know a whole lot about transmissions yet. Haven't gotten into that too much. So I was curious as to what you guys have to say about this. Does this essentially mean the transmission is on its way out. Is this something that's common or not incredibly hard to fix. Plans would be to fix it myself, but worse case scenario what would you be looking at to have a shop do something like this?
Old 02-23-2006, 09:04 AM

If the tranny grinds from first to second, and third to second, it's most definitely not okay, and is on it's way to needing at least some second gear parts (likely the synchro, perhaps a shaft bearing). However, if second is starting to go, it's just that it was likely the most used gear (city driving, perhaps), and the others are pretty well aged, too. I'd plan on rebuilding that transmission ASAP, rather than let it fail on me at the worst time. Or, just replace it with a ZX NA 5 speed. Great gearing, much better durability, easy swap, about the same cost and trouble when it's all said and done.
If the throwout bearing is going bad, I'd wonder about the state of the clutch. They really should be done as a set, at least from any reputable parts dealer or installer. A throwout bearing is pretty cheap (less than $10 for most cars). A whole clutch kit is likely $150 to $200 for a decent, basic new one (e.g. Luk, etc.). Shopping around your parts stores or finding a coupon, or trolling the online vendors could save you another $30 or so.
If you decide to go ahead and buy it, plan on doing a transmission and clutch job on it as soon as you can. In the next few months for sure (obviously depends on how much you drive it). It's not difficult work, just heavy and kind of awkward. So, if the car is in otherwise nice shape, it might be a good deal, depending on what price you can get. I'd count on maybe $1000 to $1500 in parts (transmission rebuild or replace with a rebuilt new one, plus new clutch kit, and any incidental stuff), and devote a full day to it, maybe a whole weekend. If you have a decent shop do it, it's probably more like $1500 to $2000 (this of course varies with where you live, who you know, etc.).
Anyway, just my opinion and experience. Hope you end up with a great Z!
Good luck,
Dave
Old 02-23-2006, 11:41 AM
NisTuner

Well the thought was pretty much if I were to get it. It would be purchase this car drive it back, then get to work on fixing the transmission and any other little expenses. I'm essentially looking for a good Z to start off with, but also a project Z to begin with to build it up. Also the 5-speed 280ZX Tranny was a thought too. I figured it'd be nicer to have the 5th gear. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:37 PM

Sounds like a good car for a start to a fun project. I'm trying to decide if I want to rebuild the stock 5 speed that came in my '78, or switch to the more durable ZX NA 5 speed. Ounce of prevention vs. pound of cure, but it's really hard not to just bolt it back in there and drive the thing with the idea of "Oh, I'll just take care of that when it breaks...".
good luck,
Dave
Old 03-02-2006, 12:58 PM
NisTuner

Description of the car was very misleading. The car is currently not running. Needs the fuel cell/tank back in. The car has alot more rust than said. The dash is pretty nicely cracked. The interior is in ok condition. About the only good thing is the 69k mile L24 in the car. Rust on it hasn't gone through, but it'd definitely take some work, on top of that it'd need a new paint job, and a new tranny that it would really start to add up. Think I'll keep looking.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:03 PM

Wow, yeah. That's optimistically a major unibody-up restore, with a lot of parts and work. Sounds like how my car started out...
happy Z shopping,
Dave
Old 03-02-2006, 03:02 PM
NisTuner

If I had more money and a lot of free time. I'd go for it, but I'm not ready for a full restoration just yet.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:56 AM

My dad used to say boats were holes in water into which you throw money and time. I'm finding auto restoration to be the same thing, except the hole is in pavement instead of water. It's definitely worth it, but now that completion is getting closer, I'm getting more impatient, oddly.
Hope you find another good Z soon!
Dave
Old 03-12-2006, 08:08 PM

Since you say the car has too much rust & will keep looking that is the best thing to do. I have one that had a great body, but the frame and the pass side floor rusted thru. The good news was it was fixable, but the bad the cost anywhere from $800 to $2,000. So here is my advice. Check out in your area for any charty car auctions as they get 280Z's on occasion. Last month I picked up a 1982 280ZX coupe, 5 spd and drove it home (runs like a scared rabbit) for a total cost of $464.00 which included the auction cost, tax, title & licence. Plus when changing the seat I found almost $5 in change. You can get lucky at times. They usualy let you check the car out before bidding and although only an 82 the rusted Z is an 83 (both 82 & 83 same body). They are even the same color. The only major problem is the heater core leaks (I have 2 extra ones) and the A/C appears to work. I have to give it to my oldest son (bummer), but look into my suggestion as you may be surprised. Good Luck. BigEkak1941