240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 12:26 AM

question

Just to make shure.... If i HAD a 78 l28 Engine form a 1978 datsun 280Z. and i swaped the engine from a 82 280ZX INTO my Z. what do i NEED to change. i was woundering if i needed to change the computer on the drivers side near the clutch area. and if so if i had to change the harness or something like that. Thanks
Old 03-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Taste My Rainbow

if you are going FI then yes but its an easy swap. if you are going carb then no u don't need the computer to run the setup... thats as far as i know..
Old 03-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Doesn't post much...

Yes,
Yes,
and Yes...

Rod.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:57 AM

ok Well the 78 engine already had fuel injectors, and so does the 82 Zx engine. . So based on that. would i still need to change the computer? and if so WHAT ELSE> woudl i need to change
Old 03-11-2006, 03:54 PM

Yes, you NEED to change the computer. You will also need the harness from the 82 cause it uses different components in the EFI system then the previous years did. Nissan was constantly changing little things. Grab the engine and everything on it including the entire harness and ECU. If it's not attached to the engine then you most likely wont need it. Oh the AFM. You will need the AFM. The Z and ZX AFM's are not compatible according to Nissan. Though I've never tried to interchange the two.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:08 PM

If you don't know the answer shut the hell up.

All you need to do is put on the 78 intake and exaust manifolds and a few other external odds and ends most all of them water related (thermostat housing, water outlet ect)that way you retain all your 78 electronics, the 82 longblock will bolt right up though. not to mention you'll get more horsepower assuming its the stock flattop motor. However if you have a 82 f54 flattop block, and a 78 n47 head, you want to put those together... then you will make considerable more horsepower as your compression ratio will be about 10.2 to 1.

I know it looks good if you all have 5000 posts, but to anyone who knows, you look like an idiot, and to anyone who is really looking for help, your screwing them over, so please do us a favor, if you don't know don't post.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:42 AM

Thumbs up

hahahaha thanks
Old 03-12-2006, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Archilight_Z
If you don't know the answer shut the hell up.

All you need to do is put on the 78 intake and exaust manifolds and a few other external odds and ends most all of them water related (thermostat housing, water outlet ect)that way you retain all your 78 electronics, the 82 longblock will bolt right up though. not to mention you'll get more horsepower assuming its the stock flattop motor. However if you have a 82 f54 flattop block, and a 78 n47 head, you want to put those together... then you will make considerable more horsepower as your compression ratio will be about 10.2 to 1.

I know it looks good if you all have 5000 posts, but to anyone who knows, you look like an idiot, and to anyone who is really looking for help, your screwing them over, so please do us a favor, if you don't know don't post.
Wow, looks like we've gota noob with an attitude. **** like that will get you no where on this forum so watch it. Second of all he never specified he only wanted the block and head. As soon as he mentioned the ECU it was figured that he was planning on swapping the ENTIRE engine. Obviously, I wasn't the only one who had that assumption by the fact that another well respected member of our forum said the same thing.

And as far as screwing someone over, Bullshit. Whats easier: swapping out an intake manifold and all the electronics or feeding a wiring harness through a firewall and plugging in an ECU? If you've got access to an entire engine then chances are you've got access to the harness and ECU as well.

Now trust me, your attitude isnt welcome here so take your **** elsewhere