240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

One Wheel Spins

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 07:32 AM

Question One Wheel Spins

This is a problem that seem easy to fix but I would like to see if anyone else had any suggestion before I proceed onto fixing it.

I have notice that when I'm burnout there will be only one tire mark left on the street, and my friends tell me that only one tire is spining (driverside). But on lets say like a road covered with ice both tires get to spining. When I bought the car the man said it had a Porsche rearend setup and had positive raction (meaning that both tires are supposed to spin). I'm not sure which year or model Porsche it came off because I forgot to ask. I now for a fact that almost or all Porsche came with positive traction. I'm thinking that the differential must not be working anymore. There are three opinions on what I can do?
1) Replace the differential with a custom or stronger one
2) Get the rearend rebuild an let the shop handle that problem
3) Switch it back out for the Datsun 280Z rearend

ps) Switching it back out for the stock rearend means that I'll still have to get it rebuild because of the power I plan on pulling out of the engine later on down the road.

Anybody with a couple of ideas let me know
THANKS
Old 04-01-2004, 11:05 AM

I can't beleive I'm replying to this post, but here it goes... I think you got taken by the guy who sold you the car. Sounds to me like you have an open diff. Did you at least jack the back up and turn the wheels?

For one, I can't think of a Porche that came with any kind of independent differential. Meaning, both the front and rear engine cars came with transaxles. And who in their right mind would try to adapt this to a Z?

1.)You could replace the diff with the strongest one in the world, but unless it has some type of limited slip which doesn't break away, right away, it won't make any difference. You could modify an R180 to have a higher break away than a stock LSD R200.

2.) Sure, a shop could "rebuild it", but this is only if it's not a Quaife or viscous (which are basically throw aways). They would merely replace the worn clutch discs.

3.) All 280Z rear ends were open types. The only factory limited slip ones are from an 87-89 300ZX turbo, or from Nismo.