240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Non-OEM parts, not in FSM, help me ID & understand!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Non-OEM parts, not in FSM, help me ID & understand!

Ok folks, hoping to not be a complete pest here, but as I look over this 1978 280Z I've got, I keep finding more and more questions. Bad part is it isn't things that would be covered in the FMS (I have a PDF of it) since it's non-original parts & prior modifications.

Ignition stuff: Timing light is simple enough to use, never done it, but after reading the process on here, I won't have any trouble.

However, does having the Crane XR700 electronic ignition change that any?

I don't *think* I have a vacuum advance attached, but not 100% sure. I'll have to check. If not, is it needed with the electronic ignition?

Fuel System

Fuel pump clicks loudly, but seems to make good pressure (5psi according to gauge) and seems to supply plenty of fuel. Fuel tank is much newer than the car, so I'm assuming the pump was added with the tank.

Fuel Pressure Gauge, I'm assuming has been added. It is mounted a line leaving a cylindrical thing about 3"-4" in diameter that tapers round on the bottom. It's near the passenger side fender, fuel line enters bottom, comes out top. What is that thing?

Fuel return line has a valve (quarter-turn on/off kind like a petcock). Completely closed, fuel pressure is 5-5.5psi, completely open, gauge reads 0psi, but car still runs. Pressure comes up as you turn the valve. I have it set where the gauge reads 3psi (about half-way open) since the Mikunis want that pressure AFAIK.

Brakes

Vacuum line (assuming, coming off top of carb) coming from the 3rd mikuni connected to brake MC. It has a twist-type valve that you can vary from open to closed. Haven't messed with it, but what would its purpose be?

Other
Air horn & fog lights added, relays added for them too. That's probably a good thing since the horn has a compressor & lights are really bright.

Bumper delete has been done, nothing really added except a little thin metal flange added to the rear for appearance purposes. Will it pass like that in NC or am I going to have to find a bumper?

Old FI equipment still in engine bay, just wrapped up and zip tied to driver's side fender. Is this hurting anything?

That's all for now. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:11 PM

The cylindrical thing sounds like a filter.

I wonder if the gauge is on the return line instead of the feed line and that's why it reads 0 with the valve open...

Pictures will definitely help.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 PM

Ask and you shall receive!

Pics of things:

Fuel pressure gauge & what was ID'd as the fuel filter. The line with the red valve **** is UNDER and not connected to the same line as the gauge. Lines got from the gauge through the banjos on the carbs and back to the valve with the red ****. Position of the red **** gives me a reading of about 2.5-3.0psi on the gauge. I did see an improvement in my plug readings after a short putter through the neighborhood.
Name:  DSC_0090-1024.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  36.7 KB

Vacuum gauge, line runs from 3rd carb to back of brake MC on fender side
Name:  DSC_0086-1024.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  47.2 KB

Overall shot of bay, seems really empty, pass. side
Name:  DSC_0089-1024.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  65.9 KB

Another overall shot, FI stuff is circled in red. Stuff goes in, nothing comes out, so that must be only FI stuff, and the chassis wiring moved

Found this under the rear carpet, bet that bottle of inflator is past its expiry date

Hope that helps!

The vacuum advance is still hooked up, pulls of the 1st carb. If it is hooked up with the electronic ignition, is that good or bad? Can I just unhook and see what happens or will I damage something?

JM

Last edited by the_journeyman; 09-13-2011 at 06:42 PM.