240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

New to the Z world

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 10:15 PM

Talking New to the Z world

Hi.......New kid to the world of the Z car. I got a 72' 240z back in Mar09 and have been tinkering with it ever since. Found the typical rust issues and have repaired most of them and now starting on the lower quarter panels right behind the doors. This is my first project car (I'm 50ish) soooo I'm really learning awhole lot about body work, fabricating, etc. I'm a welder by trade and in past life an auto electrician. My son told me to think of it as a big scale model car......have fun. Now, my question(s) and all the help that anybody has, will be really appreciated. I need to replace the accelerator rod boot (I have the new boot), what is the easiest way to install it. I've thought that the linkage could be disasembled and slip the boot over the rod or should it be taken apart from the inside of the car.....I'm stumped. Secondly, I had to re-install the gas tank (which was used but cleaned) and hooked up all the hoses until it came to the filler hose. What a (excuse my french) BITCH. I was able to get the hose to slide about an inch or so over
the opening and able to clamp it but I'm wondering if it should be slid down more and open to any ideas. I've tried using a hair dryer (of course the tank is empty and free of fumes) and it seemed to work to a point and would not slide any further.......help. Sorry for rambling on, just an old dog trying to learn new tricks. BTW, does anybody know or have an idea where I can get a wire connector for the gas tank sending unit, previous owner snapped off the positive end off the wiring harness? Thanks for listening to me, John
Old 06-06-2009, 11:49 PM

Do you have a local Pick N Pull in your area? If you do, go there and tinker the hell out of the cars. The best class room, I found, is the junkyard. You might even get that piece of wire your looking for. Good luck on your project; it' a great hobby.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:18 AM
I have a present for you...

Welcome to Zdriver! Yeah, PicknPull the Z college. Panel fabing is not that hard with the right tools. You can slip that filler tube on easier with Armorall. Use it to slide the lnkage boot on too. You run the risk of breaking the rod ends if you take them apart. Share some pics!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the welcome and info. Yes we have a "Pull N Save" here so I'll give that a try, Thanks Again, John