240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

new to Z cars, fell in love, have some tech questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 PM

new to Z cars, fell in love, have some tech questions

hello everyone, my name is Skyler, ive been wanting a Z car for years and finally got ahold of one last month,a 74 260, i will be posting pictures soon but its orange with black hood, old school konigs, and beautiful, interior is near flawless and has racing seats, track ready, short shift, and great custom sound system. ive been reading through a lot of forums and have found very knowledgeable people on this one so i thought id join this one. right now im running a l28 swap with 4 speed an dual su carbs. its been burning oil like mad so im using it as an excuse to give her some upgrades...i apologize if im asking questions that have been answered 1000 times but ive done hours of reading and havent found my exact situation.

i just bought a 5 speed, a l28 block im rebuilding with new std dish pistons. i also scored a fully race ported mn47 head stamped by larson/king (now owners of PER) for 125 bucks...they thought it was a stock n47 nissan head. and a rare nissan performance built "posi" 4.11 rear end from JWSPORTSCARS. so heres my plan, im doing a standard size rebuild (86mm cylinders) on the l28 block, and "balancing it", putting on the mn47 head, going to get PER's opinion on camshaft size since i called them and they said the work done to the head will require shimming for a camshaft, from what ive read a felpro gasket should put me at around 9.2:1, actually less depending on how much porting the head has, wich looks substantial. i also have a good eaton m90 laying around, and im a proffessional mig/tig/ fabricator with access to full machine shop so fabbing that on should be no problem, then a blow through 4barrel carb, and im thinking i should be safe at 6-8lbs?, i know theres better ways, but this is kind of what i want to do, and i want to know if it will work ok. this way the only thing i will have to buy, is maybe a more suitable camshaft, and the carb. does this sound like a workable plan? or do you see this ending in disaster?, ive done v8s but never a inline OHC. im just humbly asking for advice from more experienced Zcar enthusiasts and will appreciate anything you have to say!
Attached Thumbnails new to Z cars, fell in love, have some tech questions-dat260.jpg   new to Z cars, fell in love, have some tech questions-datsun-int..jpg  
Old 06-20-2012, 09:37 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Sounds like this will be a monster. Carbs with forced induction can be a bear to tune though.

And if you haven't seen this yet, I think you will enjoy: Engine Design Utility
Old 06-20-2012, 11:49 AM

thats an awesome engine calulator, thank you very much i have not come across that one, i used the compression calculator to figure my 9.2:1 or less figure, that one should be very helpful. and im not expecting the carb part to make my life easier, but i love the clean look of a carb and ive always wanted to run that set up on somthing. also thinking of a small scoop on the drivers side with a fabbed air grabber, im just gonna take it to a dyno shop and have the pro's do my tuning. it wont be a quick process because im working a lot, but i will be sure to share pictures as i go