240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

New Engine Issues *please help*

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 03:11 PM

New Engine Issues *please help*

Hello all,

I've just finished installing and rewiring the engine in my '75 280Z and I'm running into a starting issue. When I attempt to start the car the starter stays engaged and spinning, even with the key turned back into the "lock" position and the engine will not fire. Jiggling the key from "lock" through the other positions and back will kick the starter off, but it takes a good bit to do so.

I checked the plugs afterwards and they showed no sign of spark (new copper NGK plugs) and were dry as a bone. I've got a fuel press. gauge hooked up and I'm getting good fuel pressure to the injectors which are new(with new wiring). The starter, alternator, distributor and coil, plugs wires and rotor are all new, and during the rebuild I ensured that the cam timing was spot-on based off the FSM, and the cam is a stocker reground by Delta.

I've double-checked all the wiring, the only 2 wires I had to guess when reconnecting were the neutral-position wires on the transmission (4-speed man.). The vacuum lines are all in good order as well. I'm at a loss for why the starter keeps turning over and why I'm not getting fuel/spark to the cylinders. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated, I put a good amount of work into this motor and I don't want to keep turning it over without it starting and end up wiping a cam lobe or worse!
Old 12-02-2013, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by NC280Z
Hello all,

I've just finished installing and rewiring the engine in my '75 280Z and I'm running into a starting issue. When I attempt to start the car the starter stays engaged and spinning, even with the key turned back into the "lock" position and the engine will not fire. Jiggling the key from "lock" through the other positions and back will kick the starter off, but it takes a good bit to do so.
That sounds like a bad ignition switch.

Originally Posted by NC280Z
I checked the plugs afterwards and they showed no sign of spark (new copper NGK plugs) and were dry as a bone. I've got a fuel press. gauge hooked up and I'm getting good fuel pressure to the injectors which are new(with new wiring). The starter, alternator, distributor and coil, plugs wires and rotor are all new, and during the rebuild I ensured that the cam timing was spot-on based off the FSM, and the cam is a stocker reground by Delta.

I've double-checked all the wiring, the only 2 wires I had to guess when reconnecting were the neutral-position wires on the transmission (4-speed man.). The vacuum lines are all in good order as well. I'm at a loss for why the starter keeps turning over and why I'm not getting fuel/spark to the cylinders. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated, I put a good amount of work into this motor and I don't want to keep turning it over without it starting and end up wiping a cam lobe or worse!
Do you have 12 VDC at the coil?
Have you tested the coil to see if it's good?
What ignition system are you using? Stock? Pertronix? ZX? HEI?
Do you have an inline spark tester?
Have you verified your static timing?