240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Hey

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:37 AM

Thumbs up Hey

Well im getting a 240Z and my cousin mentioned to me that it wouldnt be such a bad idea to swap the old 240Z engine for a SR20 RWD. HE mentioned to me that it would be better off making more power off the line and that it would kill less gas being a 4 CYL engine. As well as having more parts and accecories out there in the market.

What do YOU GUYS think about his idea for a swap? to me it sounded reasonable. however idk if people to that to the Z's in general so i was just woundering for your idea or some feedback LATEZ
Old 02-22-2006, 12:42 PM
The Good Twin

I'm personally not a fan of swapping a 4cylinder into a Z. The SR20DET is a great engine, but it's the principle of it that gets me. When Nissan was designing the 350Z, they originally wanted to put a 4cyl engine in it.... tons of people got upset cuz "it wouldn't be a classic Z."

Anyway... that's my rant.... it's your car!
Old 02-22-2006, 01:06 PM

A lot of people consider it down grading to swap in the smaller engine but it is a really good engine like Nismo said. Sure it's probably going to lack some of the torque possible with the 6 and the power band is going to be moved up in the rev range but overall I think you'd be happy with that motor in that car. I was considering it at one point, but like Nismo said, the principle of it got to me. I just like the idea of having my 6 (or bigger) in there. Sure you'll be starting off with more horsepower, but for the amount of money you'll spend on an SR you can get and build up an L28ET for even more power at the same cost.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:21 PM

defently a sr20 is a great motor but the L28 is part of the early Z cars.. you take it away.. its not a Z
Old 03-11-2006, 11:18 PM

240Z's are now becoming official classic cars, how much do you want to butcher a classic car? the more butchery the less valuble, I've already seen stockers going for over $30K. If you must butcher it, then put in a NA f54/n42 motor in there, more power? L series turbo engine , even more extreme? Put a rb26 in there. either way dont put a four cylinder in a car that can easily fit a chevy v8.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:44 AM

True true.