240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Exhaust or Fuel Fumes Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 04:58 PM

Exhaust or Fuel Fumes Help

Hey Guys and Gals,
Still trying to get my Z on the road. I am having an issue with fumes in the cabin. I do not believe it to be exhaust, I checked the whole system and no holes or odd hissing sounds. I believe it to be somewhere in the fuel system. I just replaced all 6 fuel injectors with new o-rings and mounts thinking this would do the trick, but no luck. When I step on the gas everything is fine, but when I downshift and slow, I smell it big time. It is in my hair, on my clothes. Any suggestions?

Terry
Old 11-03-2003, 05:44 PM
the Dude

that happens to all Z cars. if you roll up your windows, the smell goes away, right? this is caused by backdraft and Z's lousy aerodynamics, and exhaust gas gets sucked into the cabin via the low pressure in the rear hatch. The easiest fix is to pick up a long exhaust tip and put it on the Z so the pipe extends about 8-10" beyond the body.

The other fix is to get a caulk gun with silicon, and go through every crevace in the back and seal it airtight, and make sure your seals are good in the rear hatch. You may also want to stuff the plastic panel spacing with something like house insulation.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:02 PM

Unfortunately the I did not notice the smell going away when I rolled up the window. I will try this again when I have the chance. So you think the smell is actually coming from the exhaust from the rear of the car? I can caulk any openings this weekend, but there is a hole in the floorpan that I have to have repaired. Do you know where I can purchase blank floor pans for installation? Thanks again for your assistance, it is appreciated.

Terry
Old 11-03-2003, 07:16 PM
the Dude

http://www.datsunzparts.com/start.htm
Old 11-04-2003, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the link for the floor pans. I drove the 280 today and things seemed to be better until I stopped at a light and I caught the smell again. Any other ideas? When I have the chance this weekend I will try to go through and caulk the hatch. I will also buy new rubber for the entire car.

Terry
Old 11-04-2003, 04:16 PM

"As all of us who own a first generation car know; exhaust fumes in the cabin ranks right up there with steering wheel shake above 50 MPH. We'll experience it at least once and go to a lot of trouble chasing it down. Once again a design, fit and finish issue which gets to the meat of this ramble. The factory should have installed a screen between the inside of the deck lid and the trim panel, but didn't. You have, or should have, one on each door why not on the deck lid? After all, that's the area where most if not all of the exhaust fume problems originate. What's a screen? It's a sheet of plastic shower stall liner type material attached to the inside of the doors (between the door and the door panel) with 3M Strip Caulk. If you're pulling out your hair trying to find the source of that stink give this retrofit a try"

I found this on the MD Z Car Club Website. I was wondering where the deck lid is located and what trim panel is being discussed? Please assist. Thanks again.