combination & ignition switch wire questions - ZDriver.com

240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2018, 11:50 PM   #1  

combination & ignition switch wire questions

Hi guys,

The turn signal switch of my '77 280Z doesn't stick so I wanted to have a look at it but when I removed the steering column cover I came across some wires I have questions about.

I hope you guys can answer these for me.

1. I found two unconnected black wires with male connectors coming out of the side of my ignition switch. Does anyone have any idea what they are and what they should be connected to?

2. I found two other unconnected wires (black male and red/white female). Does anyone recognise these and should they maybe be connected to the two black wires coming out of the ignition switch?

3. Ok this is a silly one but is there a trick to disconnecting the thick red and white-red wires? I'm not really sure what kind of male-female connector this is and I've tried to pull them apart with quite some force but I can't get them to disconnect.

I've added pictures of the wires I mean. The numbers refer to my questions.

Thank you!

Reinier
The Netherlands
Attached Thumbnails
combination & ignition switch wire questions-wires_1.jpg   combination & ignition switch wire questions-wires_2.jpg  
kontkommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:11 AM   #2  

1. Key in the ignition buzzer. It was a warning that you left your key in the ignition when you opened the door. In the wiring diagram, it shows one connector as male and the other as female. In the switches I have seen, both are male, like yours.
2. The Red/White wire is power for #1. The black wire may be the ground for the buzzer or ground for the headlights. I see the ground wire from the switch is already unplugged. It is the female connector just above the male connector you circled in #2.
3. The plastic on the insulators will get sticky over the years. Use a small pick like pictured to get between the insulators and tease them apart.
Steve260Z74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #3  

Steve thanks for your reply! That clears up a lot for me.

I see I have circled the wrong black wire in 2. That is indeed the thick black one that I had disconnected just before I took the picture. But the black wire i mean is actually right behind the white/red female connector and is quite a slim wire. I've added another picture that shows it well. It comes from the same harness as the white-red one which you said is the power to the ignition buzzer. So I guess it's the ground for the ignition buzzer?

Does it matter which of the two black ignition wires go to the white-red power wire? I'm guessing it doesn't matter which goed to power and which goes to ground?

Thnx!
Attached Thumbnails
combination & ignition switch wire questions-wires_3.jpg  
kontkommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:00 PM   #4  

No, it should not matter.
Steve260Z74 is offline   Reply With Quote