240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 04:57 PM

Clutch problem

I don't even know where to begin, but getting a handle on what it is called would be a place to start. It is a 1970-71 240 and I know nothing about hydraulic clutches. When I shift into first, I depress the clutch and to engage it, I have to let the clutch almost all the way out before the car moves... I sound like a kid who just got his license trying to drive a straight stick on the first day as the engine revs pretty good while I keep letting the clutch out until it engages. What is the name for the clutch engaging so late?

Also, to get to work, I have to climb a one lane tar road that goes up a pretty good grade. There is a good incline at the bottom so you have to approach the road in first gear slowly, and then climb the hill in first gear.... I got about 15 feet up the hill before I was not going anywhere like I was in a higher gear... but I am 99% sure I was in first gear.

When I bought the car, there was a new clutch master cylinder in the box so the previous owner, who has fallen off the face of the earth, knew something about it. Can I adjust my clutch? Do I need to install a new master cylinder for the clutch? I read a lot of entries in the forums about bleeding the air out but I am not sure that I was reading relevant articles for a 1970-71 car....

Any help appreciated....
Old 08-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Super Siver & Black Stud

your clutch is slipping and sounds like your clutch disk is worn out. You need to replace your clutch.. no amount of adjusting is going to fix that.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:05 AM

An easy way to check the clutch (not the pedal and hydraulics) -is to apply the brake while driving the car in gear and pressing the throttle down. The brake action should cause the engine speed to drop. If the engine speed doesn't drop, the clutch is slipping. You may also notice that the engine speed increases when the car struggles to climb a steep hill. Other people engage the parking brake and block the car with a telephone pole against the front bumper. This way, as you let out the clutch pedal, the car should stall with a healthy clutch. If you can let out the pedal and the engine keeps spinning, you need a clutch. This will isolate the hydraulics from the mechanical internals because the clutch is normally engaged with spring force to transmit the engine power to the wheels thru the tranny.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:27 PM

Clutch

My last post was about a clutch problem when my car would not go up pretty steep incline. So if I assume the clutch needs to be replaced, then I need to ask a few questions. First, the car was made in August 1971.... and I assume it originally had a four speed. As I read the posts, the clutch was also supposed to be adjustable, but I don't see any of that.... The transmission was replaced by a former owner with a five speed, so did he replace the clutch too? Is the clutch in a four speed the same as a clutch in a five speed? What should I be looking for and what surprises should I be expecting? Is this something I can do or should I take it to a local mechanic? Any advice is appreciated....
Old 03-16-2014, 04:59 PM

Clutch Pedal Question

1978 280Z.....where should the clutch pedal grab ?? half way ???
Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 PM
I have a present for you...

You should start to move when the pedal is about 2 inches off the floor. You should also have about 1 inch off the top of the pedal before it starts to slip. Some people prefer more or less. If there is no free pedal at the top it means it is not fully engaging. You need to shorten the rod length to the fork. If the po didn't put the 5 speed fork and rod in it you may have problems. You could even have an oil soaked disc. Before you pull the trans make sure you have correct pedal travel. If you do and it slips then pull the trans.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:28 AM

thank you Ramz!!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:38 AM
I have a present for you...

Thanks

Yes, and thank you for acknowledging those of us that come here to learn and share. Some noobs come and ask and then just leave.