240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

bogged out while driving and cut dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:13 PM

bogged out while driving and cut dead

hey guys, i was wondering if you could help me possibly point out what happened to my 240z the other night as it would not start back up and i had to get it towed. heres some details on the car:

73 240z 4spd
running round top su carbs have not done final tune, running a little rich,
fairly new plugs, distributor, wires
petronix ignitor electronic ignition

current minor issues :
plugged in blower control, never tested out
slight coolant leak from heater control valve hose (only leaks and makes hissing sounds sometimes)
running rich, strong exhaust smell when at stoplight and shoots flames on upshifts
tach never worked, just goes straight to 8k rpm when ignition is switched on
speedometer recently stopped working
water temp sensor does not work

I have maybe driven the car a total of 10 times on short trips i would say 20 min tops and the car always ran fine (a little rich as it shoots flames every now and then. however, saturday night 60 degrees out i decided to test it out and drove it for over an hour straight (normal driving not racing) around town never went over 60 mph and the car ran fine. After about an hour of driving, i went to a store and parked it maybe 3 minutes. after i was done, car fired right up and off we went. 2 stop lights later the car starts bogging and showing a loss of 50% power as i was going up a very slight incline. The car then cuts power. I tried restarting it maybe 4 times and it fired up for a good 5 seconds before bogging and cutting again. it wouldnt start again after that so i had to have it towed home. I didnt have time to work on it that night, so i let it sit until today. Today, i checked to see if it has gas in the tank, looks around half tank, also checked to see if any hoses or electrical wires got disconnected and they all look fine. looked where the fuel filter is, and it looks like its flowing fine. Checked under the distributor and it looks okay. after trying to start it 4 times today, it cranked over and is running fine. I just drove it down the street and back today, and its running as if it never had a problem. any ideas would could have caused it to die on the the other night?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:09 AM
I have a present for you...

It could be those old carbs are sticking. Make sure your choke linkage is working freely. The tach problem could be from the pertronics.