240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

in a bit of a pickle - lost ignition key - help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 04:04 PM

in a bit of a pickle - lost ignition key - help!

Alright guys, so my Z is currently at the house were selling in NC, were moving to NY. I just got to NC where my Z is after a 700 mile trip from NY to find that my ignition key is NOWHERE to be found! Son of a *****! So, I'm sweating like a cornered nun running around the house trying to find the keys to no avail. My dad hid them so no one checking out the house would find em. Brilliant, cause now neither of us know where he hid em

So, what can I do to get my car going? Can I easily remove the switch part of the ignition from the keyed part and just turn it with a screwdriver? Or is it all one piece? How hard is the switch to remove? I have a spare steering column with key but its off in storage, I can dig it out if need be. Would it be harder to remove and swap 2 ignition switches or swap the whole steering column? What I'd most prefer to do is rig the current switch in a way that I can start the car with a screwdriver or any key or what have you, because I need it mobile ASAP. I'd go dig around myself and try and come up with something but its dark and raining so rather than dive in blind I'd prefer to have a battle plan.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

You can unscrew the switch part off the back of the lock but you wont be able to steer the car as the steering wheel lock will still be in place.

You can take a dremel and cut new slots into the screws that hold the entire assembly onto the steering color and remove it tho.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
You can unscrew the switch part off the back of the lock but you wont be able to steer the car as the steering wheel lock will still be in place.

You can take a dremel and cut new slots into the screws that hold the entire assembly onto the steering color and remove it tho.
Okay cool that sounds reasonable. Forgot about the steering lock. If I unscrew the whole assembly then unscrew the switch off the lock I can start and drive the car without a key? I called triple A and they said they can make me a new ignition key (I'm a premium member, have to be with old cars lol) so I may call them over. Assuming their locksmith can't make a key for a car that old, how hard is it to swap steering columns? I have another one complete from coupler to steering wheel with all the switches and a key. It looks like its only 8 bolts, the coupler, and some connections and its out.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I've had a key made for an old Z before so they should be able to do it. It would be cheaper too if you already took the lock out of the car!

Swapping them isn't that hard either, just make sure to remember right where the steering where was BEFORE you take it apart, so you can put it back on straight.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:58 PM

i lost my key a few days ago too. All i did is remove the rear hatch key cylinder witch is extremely easy and on it is a code that starts with a M and than like 5 or so numbers give it to a locksmith and they will make one in like 5 min. they charged me $20 for 2 keys
Old 11-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I actually forgot about that one! My old Z had 2 keys, probably why I didn't think of that!
Good call