240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

Auxiliary Air Regulator + Heater Housing

Old 08-27-2012, 09:14 PM

Auxiliary Air Regulator + Heater Housing

So I'm deleting the EGR system and would like to completely bypass the little heater housing on the intake manifold. I understand that the Auxiliary Air Regulator runs off a heating element, however I also understand that the heat from the manifold and probably that little heater housing under it helps it warm up faster as well. If I remove and bypass the heater housing then bolt the AAR to the manifold will it affect the performance of the AAR at all, assuming it is actually working (haven't checked it yet).

Also, what is the best way to bypass that little heater housing? Just a u-shaped hose or has someone come up with a nicer looking way to do it? Thanks!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:52 PM

Ok looked at the FSM. That little coolant loop isn't even needed. I'm going to just block it off at the thermostat housing.

My AAR had a vacuum through it both when the engine was hot and cold. The shutter actuates manually, but not by the heater I guess. I'm just going to remove it and if I find I indeed need it to get the motor really going, I'll (it's Texas, it's never REALLY cold) put in a ball joint. When the motor is cold I'll pop the ball joint for a few then close it back up. Also leaving the cold start valve in so they can work together.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:55 AM

I still need to know what that little coolant loop is from the upper thermostat housing on the head to the lower coolant outlet on the block. I'm guessing it bypasses the thermostat when it's closed to help the car, and heater core, heat up faster.

Is it solely to help the heater core heat up faster or is it essential to keeping the cooling system running properly while the car warms up? The FSM doesn't say anything about it under the cooling section or A/C section. Eliminating it would clean up the motor a bit. Any input?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:09 PM

Your misunderstanding and lack of comprehension of basic operating principals is astounding.