240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

280z timing problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:40 PM

280z timing problem

on my 76 280z at top dead center the timing marks on crank and cam are right. The problem is I have to move the plug wires two places advancing it and turn the distributor as far as it will go advancing it to get the car to start and run. It runs fairly good unless you gas on it then it wants to fall on its nose. Is there any suggestions on the timing problem?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Did this problem just randomly occur out of the blue? Or was work just done on the car?
Old 02-24-2011, 01:52 PM

It sounds to me like you need to pull the distributor and get it installed correctly. Then check you plug wires for proper order. Then time the ignition correctly.

Oh, yeah, make sure your on top dead center Compression, not top dead center Exhaust.

Been there, done that.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:26 PM

I had the motor completly rebuilt with a master rebuild kit. I also thought the distributor was in wrong but it is notched and will only go in one way. I put a timing light on it and set the timing at 7 degrees with the vaccum line unhooked. I thought maybe I got a bad cam but hoping not. I think some of the miss when I gas on it is from the throttle position sensor but cant figure out the wiring problem. Thanks for the help
Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by country
I had the motor completly rebuilt with a master rebuild kit. I also thought the distributor was in wrong but it is notched and will only go in one way. I put a timing light on it and set the timing at 7 degrees with the vaccum line unhooked. I thought maybe I got a bad cam but hoping not. I think some of the miss when I gas on it is from the throttle position sensor but cant figure out the wiring problem. Thanks for the help
It sounds like the distributor shaft was missaligned during the rebiuld. You will have to drop the oil pump to align the distributor shaft correctly. Check your distributor shaft alignment with this pic at TDC.
Attached Thumbnails 280z timing problem-oilpumpshaft2.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 07:35 PM

I think your right because the rotary button is pointing down instead of to the front of the engine. I looked in the book and saw how it and the oil pump go together. Thanks for the help its greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:30 PM

New timing problem

On my 280 the oil pump was installed wrong so I got engine T.D.C.C , lined up the marks on oil pump, cam gear is on the mark, rotary button is pointing at number 1 on cap, and double checked the wiring order and car is still way slow in timing. Is there something else that could play a part in causing the slow timing.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:33 PM
The Good Twin

Merged w/ previous thread...

Originally Posted by country
and car is still way slow in timing.
What do you mean it's "slow in timing" ? That doesn't make sense...

You mean the car is slow? Or the timing isn't were it should be?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:47 PM

With a timing light the mark is off. I have to advance the distributor as far as it will go to get it to start but its missing so bad it want throttle up and if you turn distributor back any it will die. I usually work on Gm and Ford so don't know alot about these but everything is lined up it should run
Old 03-18-2011, 07:13 PM
The Good Twin

The oil pump / distributor shaft is off a tooth or two... ya gotta pull it and realign.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:26 PM

guess i know what i will be doing tomorrow. You don't have to drain oil to pull pump do you? I did today and I really hate to replace new oil and waist more money on it.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:27 PM
I have a present for you...

Since the pump was off and the dizzy shaft was off I would be concerned if the timing mark is off on the crank gear. At the mark on the cam you should have a different colored chain link. Another link like that is on the crank tooth mark (Don't know who put the engine together). Since you have the cam cover off remove #1 spark plug and with your finger over the hole tap the engine over until you just get a puff of compression. Your marks should be close, your cam lobs on #1 should be up, your rotor should point to 9 o'clock and #1 spark plug wire should also be there. You should be within +/- 10 degrees. It should start like this. If not then you've got other problems.