240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

260ZT progress

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Über User

260ZT progress

i think this will explain it all, nothing magical, but still a huge step, now its only a matter of days....
<embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s96.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid96.photobucket.com/albums/l162/snwbrderphat540/HPIM0407.flv"></embed>
Old 03-19-2007, 05:54 PM

Five days straight of straight up dicking around...... IT CRANKS

Your wiring is truely a rats nest. I wanna see it run!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Über User

haha... it was alittle more than dickin around, lol. it was just trial and error of messing around with wires and different combinations, found ways to get it to almost crank but a wire would start to smoke, then just started doing some total custom wiring add ins actually and got it to crank liek a **** with no problems, all the intereior seems to work, whats installed anyways. now i gotta get my EFI and ignition wired up which shouldnt take long a couple days work tops, and install wreckeds fuel pump when it arrives and a new video will be up, and one hopefully in better quality. lol. im also probably gonna re-loom that current harness. lol.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:26 PM
No Club Love

hopefully eww(wiring).....mines cleaner....and haha yeah....
Old 03-21-2007, 01:22 PM
The Evil Twin

it caa-ranks! dude, I can hook a starter up to a bare block on an engine stand and get it to crank.

Show a video of that thing running and filling your garage with black smoke! Then eat some hot pizza
Old 03-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Über User

dude, i got the whole car working other than the EFI part, thats a HUGE accomplishment if you knew this wiring harness lol. dont worry, there will be a new video shortly, one quik question, im expecting a yes (bad type of yes) answer but i wanna check with you guys, will the zx NA fuel pump lean out the engine on stock boost? cuase i havent seen my fuel pump yet and just incase i pull off some miracle wiring today or tommorow and the pump taint here still, i wanna drive her!!! lol. oh yeah, and i already ate hot pizza today. it was good.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:19 PM
The Evil Twin

good for you. I want some hot pizza.

I think the secret is that the 280ZX NA and turbo stock fuel pumps are the same. I did swap mine to the turbo one, but it appears identical to the NA one. hmmmm....

I don't know for sure, but I think you'll be ok at stock boost with a good working NA fuel pump. The stock ECU runs a little rich under boost anyway.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Über User

thats reassuring lol. w/e ill just be careful as hell. also, i odnt have a knock sensor on the NA motor to my knowledge and im pretty sure tahts accurate, lol. so what should i do with the knock sensor wires until i get a knock sensor? will it be alright unpluged or should i do some sort of temporary resistor mod going on? what?
Old 03-22-2007, 02:48 PM
The Good Twin

Technically you don't need the knock sensor... it retards the timing when it senses detonation. So if you build it right and don't have detonation... you'll be okay.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Über User

ic.... well lets hope for that till i do get one, i want one eventually you know.

one more thing, every one talks about ian's interconnect thread on teh step by step wiring for a 82 turbo motor into a 240Z i believe, and i cant find it for dick. its supposed to be in the archives on zcar.com and i just cant navigate that site for ****, i know ive seen it before a couple months ago but didnt add it to my favorites. any one wanna help me out in this search. lol
Old 03-22-2007, 03:50 PM
The Good Twin

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?...34996&t=334996

I typed in "wiring turbo" & a ton of threads came up: http://www.zcar.com/forums/search.ph...1&fldsubject=1

EDIT... sorry... I would look for more, but I'm at work doing work shiz........
Old 03-22-2007, 03:55 PM
Über User

that or anyone have ECU wiring advice, i know the YW goes to my coil ignitor chip, not entirely sure where the black one goes, the blue coil gows to resistor under dash that goes to tach and what not.... and by the relay teh Br and G wires go to positive power supposedly dont need the G +for the air regulator

ahh blah blah blah, basically in teh carb'd 240 260 cars i dont have any sort of switch other than the ignition to start the fuel pump or i can run my own wires and w/e, im just concerned about which wires i need so the ECU will get power and the ignitor chip will be hooked up properly, no a/c, nothing but bare minimum to run, even the ZX guys should be able to answer this question. i want to start this **** today! cause i go to iowa tommorow
Old 03-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Über User

hmmm... after reading some more... i think im just gonna give it a friggin shot. lol. i should be able to wire directly to the ignition wires correct? aka the start position and the IGN position.... for those two wires...
Old 03-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Über User

YO bleach... you said you are using an NA TPS.... did you wire anything different? got a pic of it i just need one where i can see the clip and what color wires go to what (only 2 wires yah know) thanks that would be much appreciated if you could throw that up here asap cuase im wiring again and may try to start her today or tommorow if all goes well.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:07 AM
NisTuner

I remember j and I talked about the fuel pumps. He said that regardless of them looking the same, the turbo does flow more, otherwise you'll just start cutting out when you get about more than half throttle with the NA pump.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Über User

i got the turbo fuel pump installed, took a little umm, encourgement, lol. whats teh standard way to make your own hardwired fuel pump/toggle switch assembly? can i just use like 10 guage wire with a heavy dutty toggle switch and inline fuse for the power wire and then just ground out the ground wire to the chassis?
Old 03-24-2007, 05:47 PM
The Good Twin

You should prolly wire in a relay... but yes, just need + to a switch, then to the pump. Why aren't you using the stock fuel pump wiring?
Old 03-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Über User

cuase it isnt sending power through the lines so i figured ill use new ones so i dont have to fudge around with my fuel pump every few weeks courtesy of 33 year old wires.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Über User

oh yeah, and im just gonna look stupid and ask it, wtf is the purpose of a relay, and why would i really want one if i use an inline fuse and jsut nice ole' switch. lol
Old 03-24-2007, 06:12 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
oh yeah, and im just gonna look stupid and ask it, wtf is the purpose of a relay, and why would i really want one if i use an inline fuse and jsut nice ole' switch. lol
Instead of typing it... here's a link to read: http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/relay.html
Old 03-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Über User

you always think your soo cool with all your links.... lol
Old 03-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Über User

UPDATE MOTHA FAWKASSSSSSS...... finished all my wiring other than the fuel pump and putting in the radiator. well, i popped the ECU in, i got LED on, i got BRIGHT *** SPARK in, and what i think to be injector tick.... im friggin happy.i have a feeling with out help from some friends i wont be able to make her run tonight, but GOD DAMN!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Über User

on the turbo fuel pumps, im assuming green is power black is ground? and they arent reversable..... GRRRR.... cuase yeah i guess i installed teh lines on me pump backwards lol, so when i hot wired it it was spinning but i could tell not sending fuel. it was sucking, and i was like, hmmm, this is DC power maybe i have teh wires backwards.... but idk..... i should prolly just flip flop the lines on the pump huh? i think im done for the night its like 2:04 AM and i got work at 10 in teh am.... leave me some comments.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:48 PM
Über User

welll................................
here is my problem, car wont start without holding the throttle open a little, wont hold idle, not even when fooling with timing, and is a bitch to get started. my plugs look like thxone's bad plug and yeah they are brand new only started the car on them 4 times for less than 10 minutes each time. got a pressure guage hooked up to the fuel return line, flipped on the fuel pump, and GAWD DAMN! guage damn near broke, shot way past what it is even capable of measuring. sooo, what im presuming is (the thing i thought was wrong but due to a diff reason) that my FPR is shot to dick and is just letting the fuel pass right through holding little to no pressure at teh injectors, there for not vaporizing the fuel and jsut squirting mostly liquid into the cylinders causeing the fowling. eh? anyone? any takers? suggestions? approval?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:02 PM
The Good Twin

Did the gauge only measure to 10psi? The fuel pump maxes out @ about 90psi...

Quick Reply: 260ZT progress