240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

260Z - Headlights have gone out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:00 PM

260Z - Headlights have gone out?

The saga continues...

Fixed the exhaust leak, (mostly), fixed the fuel pump, now out of the blue the headlights won't come on when you turn on the headlight switch?

I've tested the 10 amp fuses and they appear to be working, before I go any further and start tearing the car apart, does anyone have any experience of tips as to where to look?

I'm supposed to leave at 4:30 in the morning for a class in Irvine and unless I can figure this out it looks like the daughter's Ford Focus is going to save the day.

Suggestions?

It's 9:00pm on a Friday night so I have a few hours to figure it out... Well... back out into the garage, feel free to call me on my cell if you feel so inclined and you think you have some helpful information.

714-274-3276

Thanks...

Mike
Old 10-20-2006, 08:26 PM

Okay, dug the electrical tester out and tested each fuse contact in the fuse box with the key turned on and everything is getting power. Next, I've got a Phillips Screwdriver in hand and the headlights are coming out to trouble shoot the obvious.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:56 PM

***Update***

Traced the headlight wiring harness to the plug right before the headlight and tested it and it appeared to be getting power so I removed one of the headlights thinking per chance maybe both headlights went out at the same time but that doesn't appear to be the case.

There's power at the plug for the headlight itself and swapping in a known good headlight didn't work either.

Looked for anything and everything couldn't find anything else to check, also couldn't find how to engage the high beams?

Anyone else run into this problem before?
Old 10-23-2006, 09:15 AM

The early S30's had a funny way of routing the high-amp current through the fuse panels that caused some problems. The result is that you will in fact get a volts reading at the lamp plug, but the amperage being supplied is way too low to actually light the lamps. Solution, short term, is to thoroughly clean out the fuse panel and make sure you've got nice, clean, solid, large brass/conductor connections there. You can get replacement panels if yours is shot, and there are some ways to modernize the lighting wiring, too. SportZ Magazine had a nice article on that sometime in the last 12 months or so, I think. There may be a thread here about "dim headlights" on 240Z's, or something like that. It's another change Datsun/Nissan made in the middle of the S30 run, so again I haven't personally done this.
Oh, and the high beams switch should be if you pull the turn signal stalk towards you. It should click high beams on, pull again to click them off. If it's not doing it, or doesn't stay on/off, the switch might be broken (happens, some people are too rough with them).
good luck,
Dave
Old 10-23-2006, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by BoulderZ
Solution, short term, is to thoroughly clean out the fuse panel and make sure you've got nice, clean, solid, large brass/conductor connections there.
Check. I'll go clean the contacts right now with some fine sandpaper.

Originally Posted by BoulderZ
Oh, and the high beams switch should be if you pull the turn signal stalk towards you. It should click high beams on, pull again to click them off. If it's not doing it, or doesn't stay on/off, the switch might be broken (happens, some people are too rough with them).
good luck,
Dave
Here's the problem, it doesn't want to budge at all.

Rats.

I'll go inspect what I can, maybe take some WD40 to the area. I have an appointment with an auto electrical shop tomorrow, I'll be sure to print this out and take it with me before I go.

Thanks so much for your help... worst case scenario I'll have them add a toggle switch for now as I need to drive this car in the dark!
Old 10-23-2006, 04:59 PM

How did it go Mike? I know occasionally I have to tap the fuse box with my toe to get my headlights to light off. And the brights dont work either
Old 10-23-2006, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Coolie
How did it go Mike? I know occasionally I have to tap the fuse box with my toe to get my headlights to light off. And the brights dont work either
Here's the current status as I posted on another Zforum where I've been looking for input. (Arn't forums great? )

***Update***

First, I cleaned the contacts for the fuses, then replaced the fuses.

Next, I removed the plastic housing surrounding the blinker/headligh switch components. Next I removed the two screws that hold the two components to the steering colum and then sprayed them really well with WD40 and then wiped everything I could reach with a microfiber andn Q-Tips.

I cycled all of the switches and then wiped everything down as best as I could. I was able to remove a lot of greasy looking gunk by doing this.

I re-assembled the switch components and the replaced the plastic housing.

Inserted the key and turned on the headlights and the good news is the headlights, both dim and bright are nowworking again.

The bad news is I discovered that when the plastic housing is moved or bumped the lights go out, bump it or wiggle it again and the lights come on.

So for all I know, cleaning everything and replacing the fuses had nothing to do with fixing the problem, the problem is something in and around the plastic housing is causing the headlights to go out or on depending upon the current status.

For now I'm going to remove the housing and when I get time I'm going to inspect the area some more. (I have tomorrow off, but tomorrow I'm adjusting the valves in a big block chevy in a 1959 Caddilac.

www.bad59.com

Thanks everyone for your help, and thanks for the clue about the headlight dimmer, I'm pretty sure dissassembling and cleaning helped to make it work again because before it seemed pretty rigid.

Mike