240Z, 260Z, 280Z Performance / Technical Discussions related to performance motor enhancements, upgrades.

1978 280z, Fuel Delivery and Electrical Problems.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:49 PM

1978 280z, Fuel Delivery and Electrical Problems.

Hello, I have a 1978 Datsun 280z I purchased from an old neighbor. He let it sit for 4-5 years under a carport due to "bad gas". I got it home started messing around with it. Bought a few new parts that I thought we need to be replaced for the fuel problem, and the starter was bad so I changed that to. New fusible link wires, new starter, clean gas tank, new fuel pump, new dropping resistor, and a reman' ecu.

The car cranks and cranks for days, but only starts when I spray starting fluid into the throttle body, then it dies when the fluid has dried. Now when I start it, I get no response from the fuel pump, nor do I hear the injectors click. When I jump on the relays, the fuel pump turns on but the car still doesn't start when I crank it up. Also, none of the gauges work (except voltmeter), the headlights don't work (only the tail lights, brake lights and daytime running lamps/turn signals) and door chime would randomly work whenever it wants. However, the fuel gauge and fuel light comes on when I jump the relay.

I'm not sure if any of these events are somehow connected but seems likely. Might it be a problem in the wiring behind the dash? Any insight would be much appreciated, thank you for reading. -Brian-
Old 07-31-2017, 01:52 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

If it starts with starter fluid, fuel delivery is the problem. Start with checking for power at the fuel pump... no power? Then go backwards... relay? Fusible link? etc
Check for power at the fuel injectors... injectors have a hot wire in from the battery, ecu grounds.

Also make sure you've downloaded the FSM: XenonZcar.com S30 Factory Service manuals
Old 07-31-2017, 02:09 PM

Thank you for your reply. I went through the FSM, but it's confusing to me as I'm not super familiar with fuel injection. I checked the voltage at the injector number 1 by having someone start the car while I have the positive multimeter pin the injector connector and the negative on the chassis. The meter read 0, proceeded to check pin number 15 (injector 1 I believe) on the ecu harness as the FSM illustrates by using the positive mulitmeter pin on pin 15, and the negative on the chassis. My results were indeed 0, so I believe my relays aren't getting any power. Any idea as to what would cause that?

EDIT: So I checked the relays, they're getting constant power. All except for the big one, the Fuel Pump Control relay I believe. So now I'm pretty stumped.

Last edited by BrianShinagawa; 07-31-2017 at 02:25 PM.