240Z, 260Z, 280Z Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

MBC going out

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:43 PM

MBC going out

so im pretty sure my master brake cylinder is bad. after SEARCHING and RESEARCHING (nismo) i found that mbc's going bad is fairly common.

my problem is that if i push on the brake pedal, let off slightly, then push again, the pedal goes down farther every time until it hits the floor, where i dont have any brake line pressure. so im going to order a new one and probly some speedbleeders to make life easy. hopefully the weather will cooperate when it comes in. theres a saying up here in montana in springtime, "if you don't like weather, wait five minutes." so thats what its been like lately.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Pr0n Addict

usually, a bad master will gain pressure with pumping. this kinda sounds like possible a booster problem to me? well, i don't know about that. it's just different
Old 04-29-2008, 04:07 PM

i thought boosters just made the pedal easier to press. when the pedal gets to the floor, i can roll the car by pushing, as if the brake pedal was not even pressed.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Pr0n Addict

yea, you are probably right. i just havn't heard of it happening like it is for you
Old 04-30-2008, 05:38 PM

lol I was going to tell you to get a spring and ball type version, then I realized you didn't mean Manual Boost Controller.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:53 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by sailorjason
then I realized you didn't mean Manual Boost Controller.
I was thinking that too. tehweej... have you tried bleeding the brakes?
Old 05-02-2008, 10:43 AM

i bled them last fall, but the car was stored over the winter in a garage. this just started happening in the last week or so. i have been driving it since the end of march. but the master brake cylinder is on its way and should be here next week, so i will bleed the brakes then it seems more logical to me that it is the master cylinder because it is a constant loss of pedal resistance, and brake line pressure. my understanding is that if the brakes need to be bled, you would have a more "squishy" pedal feel. i lose pressure, then if i fully release the pedal and press again, i have pressure again. also, if i push really hard, i dont get any pressure loss. so thats why i think its the master cylinder.

and i have the week off of work, so that will be nice. i also have a rattle in the rear end whenever i go over bumps. i can only really hear it if i have the window down. i dont know if it might be related to my worn diff mount, or if it is some other bushings, but i am gonna take a look at the suspension bushings when i bleed the brakes.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:55 PM

new plan of attack!

ok so i have ordered in addition to a new MC, hawk hp plus pads, SS brakelines, and brembo replacement rotors. I would also like to rebuild my calipers while everything is pulled apart. is there a place that sells a complete caliper rebuild kit? i think i can get all the parts ordered from napa for a rebuild, but it would be nice to have a single kit. and has anyone used duplicolor caliper paint? does it hold up pretty well? also thinking about using DOT5 brake fluid, thus the caliper rebuilds. damn high altitude twisty mountain roads...
Old 05-06-2008, 06:46 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by tehweej
is there a place that sells a complete caliper rebuild kit? i think i can get all the parts ordered from napa for a rebuild, but it would be nice to have a single kit.
Hardly anyone sells caliper parts separately... they always come in rebuild kits (seal kit... piston kit... total rebuild kit... new caliper).

Originally Posted by tehweej
and has anyone used duplicolor caliper paint? does it hold up pretty well?
My opinion... Duplicolor sucks (except for their vinyl paint). If you want to paint the calipers, strip them down to the bare base, clean them VERY well w/ brake cleaner & a brush, and paint w/ good high temp paint. OR get them powder coated.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Hardly anyone sells caliper parts separately... they always come in rebuild kits (seal kit... piston kit... total rebuild kit... new caliper).
oops! thats what i meant. i would probably have to order them, but napa has the seal and piston kits listed for my Z. i didnt see a full rebuild kit listed, but they did have reman. calipers, but its cheaper and more fun to do it myself

and thanks for the opinion on paint. i got the feeling that high temp caliper paint was a joke, but thought i would ask. ill see if i can get them powder coated for not too much, but we'll see. thanks!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 AM
The Good Twin

Powder coating gives a much better result, but it's more expensive & all the parts need to be sand blasted first.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:45 PM

got 'er done

all i can say is wow. i need better tires now. hawk hp plus pads, ss lines, new master, new rotors, new shoes. now it is all too easy to lock up the front. now the next thing to do is put a rontyler diff mount on it, new wheels and tires, and i will be set. for now