240Z, 260Z, 280Z Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis.

Help with brake conversion in AZ

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:34 PM

Hmm, I recently bought a Z, and I really want to put discs on the back and put better ones up front. Especially with me wanting to put our LS1 up front. I would like vented/drilled on all 4 wheels, I just dont think I could swap the rears myself, as I dont think I am that mechanically enabled. Anyone in AZ help?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:51 PM

Brake swaps are super easy, really, even the rear disc conversions. If you're just a little unsure, then it's no big deal. Grab the Factory Service Manual (FSM, available in many formats and from various places), and read through the brake sections. If you've tried mechanical work before, and it's just not your thing (expensive broken parts, trips to the emergency room, etc.), then maybe you do want to rope in a friend to help.

In any case, before beginning, just note that many will (rightly) say, "The stock brake system is more than adequate for every day driving, drag racing, and even mild track racing, as long as it is well-maintained and has high quality new fluid and shoes/pads." Really, they're right, the stock brakes in good condition are a really good system. The LS1 conversion will weigh only slightly more than the stock L-series setup.

But there are still a lot of good reasons to do the kinds of brake conversions you're talking about, if you'd like. There are good threads and photos here on Zdriver, as well as on hybridz.org, particularly this link:
http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104735
and there can be some good info on zcar.com, too.

I went with the Modern Motorsports 240 SX rear conversion, and their front vented rotor conversion as well. The only issue I had was wheel/caliper clearance. New, larger wheels fixed that in the back, and a little angle-grinder customization of the calipers had the fronts fitting just fine. If you just have to have vented rear discs, too, there are kits available from many places (two listed below): http://www.arizonazcar.com/brake.html
http://www.modern-motorsports.com/ca...products_id=58

There are about as many opinions on "best" brake systems for the S30 cars as there are owners. The best thing to do is search here, hybridz, and zcar, and see what various people are saying, and why they're saying it (i.e. goals of originality, roadtrips, different kinds of racing, not much time for maintenance, money issues, etc.). Then, think about your goals and constraints (plenty of money with no time, or the other way around, or whatever) and choose *your* best system.
happy wrenching,
Dave
Old 12-18-2007, 12:03 AM

Thanks for the reply. I will have to look into the conversion. I am not a hopeless mechanic lol. Although, the procharger installation on the LS1 was a pain in mah ***
Old 12-18-2007, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Unknown898
Thanks for the reply. I will have to look into the conversion. I am not a hopeless mechanic lol. Although, the procharger installation on the LS1 was a pain in mah ***

If you did that project a-ok, then the brakes will be a walk in the park. Messier, but certainly not harder. It's amazing how much dirt can collect on those parts.
good luck,
Dave
Old 06-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Hoov for Pres!

How did this go?

If you still need help, I can take a run over. Tool's etc. I should have whatever you need.