Z Events Forums for all upcoming Z events and signup lists!

August "Zcar of the month"

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Snazzy Title

August "Zcar of the month"

Welcome to the first renewed Z car of the month award. To enter the contest you should have provide the following.

- Year / Make / Model
- Best 4 pictures of your car.
- List of mods.
- Best Story about you and your Z.

To enter in the contest just reply to this thread with the information listed above. The Admins will pick, and each month the winner will be allowed to vote as well. If you win you will get the following:

- one year subscription to nissan sport magazine (http://www.nissansportmag.com)
- Your car and story listed on the front page.
- Custom Title
- Custom Gallery entry in the "Zcar of the Month" gallery.

Ok gang, I've laid it out and would like to thank the supports of the site for donating their cash to allow me to start handing out prizes for Z car of the month again.

NOTE: We will be judging the car, it's presentation in the pictures (hint: creative pictures that show off your car = impressive), the story, and the overall picture. This just isn't about who has the best/cleanest Z or else Pats300zx would win all the time

Last edited by silvrhand; 08-02-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Opinionated

My Z is a 1991 Nissan 300zx non-turbo

Mods List:
Stillen headers bored/polished
JWT pop intake
unorthadox underdrive pullies
Custom exhaust
Autometer A/F meter and volt meter
Brembo Slotted and cross drilled rotors
Hawk brake pads
stainless steel brake lines
TT Eibach pro springs
Eagle Alloy's Series 193 rims 17x8
Kuhmo Ecsta MA tires 245/45 all around
Corebeau Forza Seats
4 point Sparco harness
Carbon fiber interior peices
Momo shift ****
Pioneer audio system

One of my favorite experiences was getting my Z and everyone at school knowing my name just because of my Car. I suddenly because "the person to beat" with all the fellow car guys at school. I had people i didn't even know approach me and go "Are you Brett? Don't you drive that Black 300zx?". It was great to see how much attention a car alone could bring to someone.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:34 PM

1981 280zx was NA, Almost turbo.

Engine:
-Rebuilt Engine
-Dished Pistons
-ARP main, rod and head bolts
-NPR intercooler
-B&M Oil cooler
-T3/t04B Turbo
-JSK fuel rail
-Walbro 255lph Fuel pump
-Ford 440cc Injectors
-Aeromotive FPR
-Megasquirt

Exterior:
-Dodge Viper Black paint
-MSA II kit
-Whale Tail
-Custom hood scoop
-Stock 14" polished wheels
-Headlight Covers (not installed)
-Zdriver.com Sticker

Interior:
-New Black Carpet
-Black Vinyl Headliner
-Black Vinyl door skins
-Beige pieces painted black
-Re-done dash in black
-White face gauges
-AutoMeter Boost, AFR, Oil pressure, Oil temp gauge
-Black 300zx TT seats
-MSA "Z" steering wheel
__________________________________________________ ______________
Pics:

Story:

I bought this car off of a friend back in high school in 2001. He bagged it and abused it, tons of rust on it, the car was junkyard ready. I drove it for a while and decided to keep it. Over next few years, I kind of fixed a thing here and fixed a thing there to make it look and run decent. Just two years ago my engine died on me and I decided to park it untill I have repaired EVERYTHING on it. I pulled the engine and decided to do a turbo upgrade, I tore up the interior and repaired/put new goodies in, stripped the exterior and re-did the body work and paint. I still have a long ways to go on this car and even in the midst of frustration with it, I still love my Z.

Adimir M.

Last edited by Skully; 08-02-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:17 AM

1979 280ZX GL coupe.

I'll try to remember all the mods (old age).
I'll start with the engine compartment. 91 355c.i. small block chevy, 9:1 comp. Crane hyd. cam .510/.305, dual roller timing chain, Edelbrock Performer intake with 1" spacer, Holley 600cfm double pump carb, Dodge Dakota 5.9 carb hat, K&N cone filter, Moroso 7qt. deep sump oil pan and high volume oil pump, Vortech heads, 100 amp one wire alternator, modified ZX power steering pump, Camaro radiator, Ford Taurus electric fan, custom fabricated: accessory mounts, motor mounts, trans mount, radiator/fan mount.
Drivetrain: 700R4 transmission with Bowtie Overdrive internals, Transgo shift kit, Bowtie Overdrive 2200 stall converter, shortened Camaro driveshaft with Neapco adapter, R200 differential with 3.90:1.
Suspension: Tokico non-adjustable struts and stabilizer bars, MSA lowering springs with one coil cut from front springs, ADR Fuel 17x7 rims with Kumho Ecsta 225-45ZR 17 tires.
Interior: 94 Eagle Talon seats, 94 Camaro shifter, Sony CD player, recalibrated stock tachometer.
I'm sure there is more, just can't remember.

A funny story, huh. Well, just after I completed the V-8 conversion, I was sitting at a traffic light when a fully riced out Honduh pulled up next to me. This "car" had the full ugly ground effects, extremely lowered with 18" rims and rubberband tires, triple tiered wing on back and the obligatory fartcan muffler. After it stopped the kid behind the wheel revved the snot out of it, for way too long, I'm sure he wanted me to hear his "Turbo". I just sat there and waited for him to finish, after which time I just gave my throttle a quick blip to @ 5k rpm. I looked over at the kid with a smirk on my face. He shook his head "NO" and when the light changed, he waited til I was way down the road before he proceeded from the intersection.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Doesn't post much...

OK, Here goes nothin'

I bought my 1980 280ZX N/A 5 Speed on January 8th, 2003. This car was ready for the junkyard. I wish I had had the forethought to take before/after pics of the progress. When I got the car, the only thing in good condition was the engine and the glass... Literally.

The car was Gold and quite ugly. The interior was poor at best. The paint was shot, it had multiple small dents and dings all over it, there were the typical S130 areas of rust here and there... All in all, most people would have passed this car by if they were shopping for a Z. It's only "Saving grace" was the fact that I bought from the original owner whom I had known for many years.

For most of it's life, it was used as a recreational car with a once annually trip from Southern California to Sturgis, South Dakota towing a PAIR of Harley Davidson motorcycles (It still had the trailer hitch on it when I got it.)

I had some lofty goals for the car when I got it... Let's see how I'm doing so far.

The first step was to get it running well. I replaced all the tune-up related parts such as: Distributor, cap, rotor, wires, plugs... I also replaced the entire smog and exhuast system including: EGR, TVV, BPT, Custom 2.5" exhaust from the head back with high flow 3-way catalytic converter. Fuel system upgrades and replacements such as new fuel pump and filter, new injectors... etc.

Next, was to get it Handling correctly. New KYB Struts all around with custom lowering springs, all new front end parts (tie rod ends, ball joints... etc), new bushings EVERYWHERE! Then, on to my first set of 17" wheels and tires.

No sense handling if you can't stop... Installed all new brake system from the calipers, to the pads, to the master cylinder, slotted rotors and DOT4 Synthetic fluid.

finally after all that, it was time to make it SHINE!
Off to the body shop it went for a complete makeover. I went black... Don't ever do this unless you want to spend the rest of your free time keeping up with it. It came out of the body shop looking awesome!... It lasted 3 weeks

Sitting still in a parking lot with no way to go forward, or backward, an uninsured tweaker in an ancient POS buick backs into the passenger side of the car... Door and fender = FUBAR. This is NO BUENO.

Back to the body shop it went. It came out looking... you guessed it... Awesome. It lasted 3 months.

Car parked at Starbucks: Runaway target shopping car flies down the hill and nails the left rear corner... Tail light and fender = FUBAR.

Once again... Off to the body shop. Over the next couple of years, it took its fair share of door dings and scratches at the hands of careless morons... But, there's more to the story.

Throughout all of this, I am slowly converting the stock brown interior over to black... Piece, by piece as I am able to find them in junkyards and through EBAY, an unbelievably difficult task.

Summer 2004: Drove the car from San Diego California to Tallahassee Florida in 3 days... not bad. Spent two months there and survived the hurricane season unscathed. Now, here's a highlight in this cars history... The drive back from Florida to California was one that would make most Gumball racers jealous! I left Tallahasse at 5:30 AM Local time on a Friday morning. I drove non-stop (except for food and gas) all the way to Sierra Blanca Texas before stopping for the night in a motel. I slept for six hours, and at 4:30 PM local time THE NEXT DAY (Saturday) I arrived at my shop in San Diego! 2,480 miles in ONE DAY without a single hicup from my 25 year Z that had 230,000 miles on the original motor... Awesome.

Ocotber 2004, car is stolen. It was recovered a week later in shambles. The wheels and tires were gone. The interior was trashed, Stereo, amps, speakers and CD's all gone, right front fender and hood... FUBAR once again.

So... Back to the body shop. Another set of 17" wheels and tires, another stereo, amp and speakers, another quest for good/usuable interior pieces.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I base my ENTIRE year around the MSA show in April.

April, 2005 On the way to the show, in the rain, on the freeway my right rear wheel bearing decides to die and sends the car into a crazy spin from which I somehow recover without FUBARing the car again. It gets to go home on a tow truck, and I drive to MSA in a PT Cruiser! Shamefull.

Fast forward to April, 2006 One week to go until MSA '06!

I Put on my new 18" wheels and tires... Sweet!

I decide to be pro-active about the car to ensure that it makes it this year without the aid of a tow truck. So, I decide to replace that clutch that was making noise. I drop the tranny, put in the new clutch and go for a spin. The transmission suffers a cataclysmic failure and disintegrates almost instantly. I spend the next few day's trying to find a tranny for it to no avail. Finally, two days before MSA, my car is dead in the water, a fellow ZDriver in Las Vegas offers up the 5 speed from his donor car ('79). So, I rent a KIA OPTIMA and drive out to Vegas, drop the tranny from the donor car, throw it in the trunk of the KIA and drive it home. One day before MSA I get the "new" tranny installed. I spend all of the next day, and into the night working on her to get her ready for the show to the point of hitting it with a coat of wax at 1:30AM!

It made it to MSA!

Two day's later... Sitting still at a stop sign, I get rear ended by an illegal alien with no license or insurance, who then backs into the car behind him and takes off! I chased him for ten minutes or so while talking to CHP dispatch until he went OFF-ROAD to elude me... He got away, but not for long. Two day's later, one of my fellow "Z Car Mafia" members spots the Explorer that hit me in a parking lot. Cops are called, homie goes to jail and his car gets impounded.

Right rear tail light and center section between hatch and bumper = Yup! FUBAR.

Back to the body shop it goes!

So, that's my story. Throughout all of it, I woudn't trade it for anything. I have spent too much time, too much money and worked too hard to let it go. It's been a daily driver that has done a remarkable job of getting me where I want to go and back with no issues.

I love my car, and I STILL have some big plans for it .

Thanks for reading along!

Rod.

Last edited by RodMoyes; 08-03-2006 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:50 PM
The Good Twin

NismoPick's 1981 Datsun 280zx Turbo Conversion

Engine (hp) Mods:

-Swapped out the L28E,
-Swapped in an 82 L28ET,
-Milled P90 Head 20 Thou,
-3 Angle Valve Grind,
-Bored Block 40 Thou,
-Nismo Oversized (low compression) Pistons,
-Running 7.4:1 Compression,
-ARP Rod Bolts,
-2MM HKS Multi-Layer Steel Headgasket,
-60MM Throttle Body,
-Front Mount Intercooler (FMIC),
-Blow Off Valve,
-Rebuilt Garrett T3 Turbocharger (Now T3/T4 Hybrid, .60 A/R, 49lb/hr),
-Wastegate reset @ 8psi,
-HKS Electronic Boost Controller,
-Capped Emergency Release Valve,
-3" Aluminum Intake Tube,
-2.5" Mandrel Bent Downpipe,
-Capped EGR Valve,
-2.5" Exhaust (w/ removable cat),
-Bullet Muffler,
-Electric Radiator Fan 2100cfm,
-Mallory Hy-Fire Ignition w/ MSD High-Discharge Coil,
-Removed A/C Compressor & A/C Lines.
-Centerforce Dual Friction clutch (takes a beating & keeps grabbin!)
-Z31T Ecu Swap
--Includes AFM to MAF Swap
-Walbro 255LPH Fuel Pump
-Current Quarter Mile Time: 14.4 @ 98mph
-Estimated 260whp & 280lb/ft Torque

Other Mods

-1987 Z31T LSD Rear Carrier,
-Eibach Pro-Rated Performance Springs,
-KYB Shocks,
-Rear Strut Bar,
-Poly-urethane Suspension Bushings,
-MSA (Motorsport Auto) Body Kit,
-BMW 5 Series HiD Headlight Conversion,
-T-Top Conversion,
-Replaced both Quarter Panels, Fenders, Rockers, & Rebuilt Floorboards.

Long story short...
My dad bought a brand new yellow 240Z in 1970 & drove it for several years till he got married. All growing up I heard my dad talk about his Z and how he always scared the crap out of my mom when he'd drive it. While I was 16, I took Basic Auto Repair in high school & my instructor was given a 1981 280zx to fix & sell to make $ for the shop. I told my dad that night, and he said: "Son... buy that Z!"

Old 08-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Doesn't post much...

So what is going on with this peoples... Is there anybody else intersted in the whole ZOM thing?

C'mon folks... post them pics and stories!

Rod.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:26 AM

Sure why not!!
1977 280Z, I decided it was time to to get back into the Z and needed a spare time hobby type thing (RIGHT) and something for my son and I to do together! well he thought it was ugly **&%$^#. Drove up to Charlotte Nc, to look at it, it was missing front left fender and light bucket, started it up and sounded like the valve trane was trashed (Tappets/rocker/lash pads).
The guy replied "I swear it didnt sound like that last night , Idrove it around the block".
Well crap!!! Long drive for nothing,heheheh. I give you 1200.00 for it since the head at min is trashed, " OK".
Drive off , stop at gas station, pull valve cover, pop back in "one" lash pad, ALL NOISE GONE! lol!
Already long story short, After all the Son now owns a 73 240 "Cause these are the sickess cars Dad"
All the motor work crap came later after he snuck mine out for a joy ride and trashed the rings, said he had it up to 153 ?????

He it is:

77 280Z
2600 from 260Z
Triple Weber 40 DCOE two barrel carburetors. with K&N Air Filters
Bored 0.030" over
New Wiseco pistons and rings
ARP rod bolts
New main & rod bearings
New oil pump etc.
E-88 head with all new guides; all valve seats replaced with hardened steel
inserts.
Erson Cam and new rockers/followers (I forgot the cam specs but have them
in a file)
Mallory Unilite distributor - Centrifugal advance
MSD Blaster II Coil
Morroso Plug Wires
Holly Bypass Fuel Regulator
Optima Battery
6:1 header
2 ½” Exhaust, W/Resinator and Turbo Muffler
Hyperflex Urethane Bushings Thru out
1983 Alternator conversion, fuel pump, starter etc.
Centerforce dual clutch.
5 speed attached ('83 ZX)
White Face Guage Modification
MSA Areo II Body Kit
Tokico HP springs and Struts
Re-Upolstered front seats
Sony XPLODE comple systems, Sub 500 watt amp, 250 watt amp for rest.
Paint code 232G

EDIT: Almost forgot, Son blew the eng in his 240 since and had to rebuild the first one he trashed(77) and drop it in. NOW i know why lions eat thier young!
Attached Thumbnails August "Zcar of the month"-small.jpg   August "Zcar of the month"-z-car-77-011-small.jpg   August "Zcar of the month"-z-car-77-004-small.jpg   August "Zcar of the month"-small3-1.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by TBK1; 08-11-2006 at 03:54 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:50 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well let's see where do I begin. I have a 1982 Datsun 280zx n/a 5 speed with a story behind him. Here it goes. Back in August of '03, I went to a Fry's food store near my place. At the time I was driving my '81 280zx, which I got in May of '00. But that is another story, this is about my '82. Anyway I went to the store, and got my groceries like usual. The cashier asked me if that was my Z28 out there. And I was like; you mean 280zx? And she said, yeah is it yours? And I told her it was, and then I asked why? She then asked, if I needed parts for my '81. And I said I could use some parts. She said she had a 280zx sitting in their backyard, they needed to get rid of. And I was like cool, and then I got her number. I asked how much, and she said just call later, and see. The wrecking yard wouldn't give them more than $25 for it. And I told her, I gurrantee, I would give them more than that. So it took about a month, and I finally got a hold of them. I started asking questions about the car. He said is was an '82 280zx, 2 seater, with t-tops. And then I asked how much do you want? He said $200, and I told him, I would like to look at it. I went over there in a week or 2. And they fired him up, but he ran pretty rough. Broken passenger 1/4 window. fubarred ignition, trashed interior, body beat up. Basically in a nutshell, it looked like it was destined for the junkyard. I told them, they didn't have to worry about trying to sell it, I would buy it. I put $100 down, and then less than a month later, I payed them the remaining payment. And my dad helped me drive him home. Of course he overheated, it was the thermostat sticking. So I replaced that, and my dad drove him to my place. And that was October of 2003, and I tinkered with it off and on, for a while. Here is a list for all of you, and I will post pics here soon.

Interior redone over 90% still a few things to do yet, but close

Took off the side trim from the tops of the doors
Removed the front and rear bumpers, and put '81 bumpers, and currently painting them silver
Got the aluminum side pillars, because there wasn't any on him, when I got him.
Started to paint the hood, fenders, and tops of the headlight buckets metallic silver, still in the works.
Also recently did a taillight transplant, I now have '81 lights, and I painted metallic silver between the taillights.

Now the mechanical part:

The original '82 motor was running on 3 cylinders, so I swapped the motor out of my '81.
Replaced the fuel injectors, with new ones, painted the motor metalliic blue, and the manifolds, and headers silver.
New clutch, the old one broke a spring inside

And with this Z, I have found many talents, I didn't know I had. So that is real cool part about the whole thing. Anyway, I will post some pics of my Z in a while. Stay posted, and thanks for the support guys.

UPDATE: Here are some brand new pics of my Z, for all of you to check out. They are not the best he could be. But in the future will match the vision from the beginning. But these pics show you, of what my Z will start turning out to be in the end. And without further adue, here they are for you.

Last edited by WildmaN; 08-19-2006 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:52 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey is this all we have for entries in the ZOM? We need some more competition. Come on don't be shy, tell your experiences, and show those pics, and be proud of your ride. I know mine is rough, but I am still proud of him.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Snazzy Title

I agree this thread needs more people involved.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Opinionated

I wanna find the winnarrrrrrrrrrrr, its getting to be late august now =P
Old 08-21-2006, 11:11 AM

I'd enter mine but I dont quite think its worthy just yet. Maybe after I get it back and get it painted.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Snazzy Title

Ok,

This closes Thursday on the 31st, come on people get more involved I really thought we would have more cars here. I guess I'm gonna have to find some better prizes.
Old 08-26-2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by silvrhand
Ok,

This closes Thursday on the 31st, come on people get more involved I really thought we would have more cars here. I guess I'm gonna have to find some better prizes.
Wait, theres prizes???
Old 08-27-2006, 04:42 AM

Okay what the hell....

Here's my all original 1972 Datsun 240Z...

Looked like this when I first bought her...

Brought her home to meet the younger sibling...

Fresh paint and a front spoiler...

Now she's the "other" daily driver(s)...

Engine: L24 - 2.4Liter (2393cc) inline 6
K&N air filter
Compression : 9.0:1
Fuel feed: Twin Hitachi SU carbs
151hp @5600rpm . 146 lb/ft torque @4400rpm
Curb weight: 2501 lbs (w/out my fat ***)

Owned a 350Z in 2003 and used to tell everyone how cool my dad was when he was my age he had a new Z (240Z at that time) and how I would love to find a used 240 in great shape to park next to my 350Z...just to make him proud. Searched all the papers and the internet for one on decent shape that i could afford...to no avail.

Dad passed away in December of the next year.
Happened to be passing by a backwoods auto repair shop in my crappy little hometown about a week or so later and saw this beautiful 240Z sitting there amongst the weeds and rusted GMC pickups and such. Previous owner (70-something yr old man...first and only owner) passed away and left the car to his old friend that ran the auto shop. The old guy was into domestics and wanted the Datsun 'off his lot'...the car was in perfect shape...just needed some love. And paint.
Paid the guy $3000 cash (robbed him blind if he only knew) and drove it off his lot.
A little morbid, but nowadays, Dad's ashes are in a little airtight urn in the glovebox of my 240Z.
He's probably not crazy about being in there but he no doubt approves of the ride.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:23 AM

1982 Datsun (by Nissan) 280ZX

- 1982 Datsun (by Nissan) 280ZX.
- No mods with the exception of the audio (Kenwood Excelon touch-screen tuner, DVD player, MP3 player, system controller with CD-changer and Eclipse amplifier), alarm and remote starter systems. ORIGINAL ROCKS!!!
- I have no real story about my ZX except that it was my high school dream car. Three or four years ago I found her on eBay. I negotiated a price with the owner, flew to Tampa, FL and drove her back to Norfolk, VA. What an experience! My new baby, the open road (with t-tops off) and living my 20 year old dream.

Last edited by jasezx.com; 08-27-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:26 AM
Queen of Yachts

Location: warmspott, trollville.......somewhere sailing the seas--fla, virgin islands...wherever....warm water....LOL
you really could use a prize for the most over used daily driver , ugliest daily driver and most miles on daily driver--too many beeeuuutifullll cars to have to assay as prettiest and best mods, etc--toooo many oretty cars to have to grade!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

seeing as August is over, wouldn't it be wiser to vote on Car of the Month the month before the prize is awarded?
Seems to me like August is over and a winner has yet to be declared.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Über User

as in the vote on this is actually for september car of the month, so they can actually get the whole month to brag, advertise, w/e ? makes sense to me.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Snazzy Title

- Voting has started, give us a few days to collect the votes.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:45 AM
Snazzy Title

Congratulations Rod Moyes!

Not only do you have a great car, but great dedication to the car, and sometimes it's not always about the car. PM me please some new pics if you can and we'll do a writeup and some info on the car for the front page!
Old 09-07-2006, 08:38 AM
The Good Twin

Wha Wha! Werd!!! ROD... we need a speach now!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:18 AM
The Evil Twin

Congrats, Rod!
I take back those hateful things I said about you. I guess you're an ok guy
Old 09-07-2006, 05:21 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

way to go rod. i think its your dedication maybe even more than the car itsself that won it for you. keep it up.

Quick Reply: August "Zcar of the month"