Wanted (WTB / WTT) Need a part? Looking for a new car? Ask here! Please report all unsolicited e-mail as a result of posting here

Stock Exhaust Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:01 PM

Unhappy Stock Exhaust Manifold

Does anyone have a stock exhaust manifold they don't need and would not mind giving away? It's for my 82 NA coupe w/P79 head. I hate to ask but this leak is one I cannot fix on my own and can't really afford to pay a shop to do it (i have been quoted at between $100-$140) but I may be able to swing shipping if it's low enough. Two of the three bolts on the collector are broke off in the manifold and I can't drill them out with my tools so the exhaust is only held on by the forward bolt closest to the front of the block. I have tried everything from high temp sealers to high temp metal putty but it all flakes off after a few days and header wrap was a joke. Please guys, can someone help me out here? This car is losing some serious low end and is getting really loud the more I drive it. Here is the leak.

Attachment 4534

Last edited by thxone; 02-27-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:14 PM
The Good Twin

Save ya pennies & buy a header.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:23 PM

Unhappy

I am trying my friend but times are getting hard right now, it is easily going to be 3-4 months before I can do the header thing. I had some money but had to give most of it to my mom because she had to goto Ohio two days ago to help her dad and to put him in a home. Family first and I wasn't going to say no but I still need to fix this manifold before it drives me crazy. Edit---> I may have to drive up to Ohio and get her and I really cant have it falling off.....she said she will be there for a month to put his affairs in order so that gives me some time if she needs me to get her.

Last edited by thxone; 04-25-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:24 PM
The Good Twin

Have you tried the local junk yards for a better ex manifold?
Old 04-25-2006, 05:34 PM

I have only found 3 280zx's here and all the engine bays were wiped out....kinda sad cause one of the cars looked perfect.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:29 PM

If i had and extra one i would ship it to u free to charge i know how it feelz to be low on doe..im sorry nobody hear at zdriver.com has been able to help u out.. i do feel your pain.. i with this 280zx turbo manafold would work for u but its a turbo and not a non turbo as they are different..
Old 04-25-2006, 08:18 PM
The Good Twin

I found 3 on www.car-parts.com

I don't have your zip, so I just put in Florida...
Old 04-25-2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by thxone
Does anyone have a stock exhaust manifold they don't need and would not mind giving away? It's for my 82 NA coupe w/P79 head. I hate to ask but this leak is one I cannot fix on my own and can't really afford to pay a shop to do it (i have been quoted at between $100-$140) but I may be able to swing shipping if it's low enough. Two of the three bolts on the collector are broke off in the manifold and I can't drill them out with my tools so the exhaust is only held on by the forward bolt closest to the front of the block. I have tried everything from high temp sealers to high temp metal putty but it all flakes off after a few days and header wrap was a joke. Please guys, can someone help me out here? This car is losing some serious low end and is getting really loud the more I drive it. Here is the leak.

Attachment 4534

dude i'm getting some headers on my car along with another rebuilt block so i won't need my exhaust manifold and if it is in good condition i'll give it to you even trade for a forty of bud light . ha ha ha no but serious if it is in good condition its your . my car should be going into the shop hopefully tomorrow or the day after and they should be done with it within 3-5 days but i'll swing by before my car is done to pick up the manifold if you still want it ? by the way my ride is also an 82'

Last edited by sion; 04-25-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:34 PM
Big Poppa

i know its ghetto, but use a pair of vise grip pliers on the flange and clamp it together real tight possibly with a new gasket, itll get you buy until you can get that header.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:33 AM

thxone, I bought an '82 ZX 2+2 (manual tranny) just for parts. I still haven't taken many engine parts out of the car yet, but if this car's part fits yours; I can send it to you. I don't have a need for it at this moment.
I plan to keep the engine to rapair it.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:36 PM

Well I checked out Nismopick's link to car-part's.com, my zip is 33778 by the way, I found 2 manifolds for my car both at the same place 7 miles away. He said $75 with a 30 day warranty when I called him. Sure it's close and he has two but man thats still too rich for my blood. I told him I could not catch a break and that I could not find one cheap anywhere. He of course said well look what you have, it's a large manifold, it's old and it's a Z car. Of course I said well sure but you are not shipping it anywhere so the size should have no bearing on price, yes it's old so I am sure it is well used and probably dirty and rusty and yes it's for a Z car and it's a STOCK manifold not a header....I may not have said that if I wasn't so frustrated.

Maybe when I can afford it I may pick up those two manifolds and practice my porting on them...I bet if ported cerrectly they flow pretty nice and 2 miles down the road we have a place that ceramic coats any metal parts you like!!!

Thanks guys for trying to help me out on this but it looks like I may have to suck it up and use this broken manifold for a while. My luck sucks right now.

Hey nOOblar, let me know what happens when you start to take parts off, I am sure it is the same manifold as mine, I think the rest of the exhaust is different. If you don't need the manifold let me know and see if we can work something out, thanks buddy.

Last edited by thxone; 04-26-2006 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
i know its ghetto, but use a pair of vise grip pliers on the flange and clamp it together real tight possibly with a new gasket, itll get you buy until you can get that header.
Thats a good idea but I can't find a good place to clamp the upper part of the manifold, I don't see or feel a flange on the upper part....see no luck man... I am pathetic...but I will win this battle!
Old 04-27-2006, 03:14 PM

I Got The Msa 3 Into 2 Header Ill Let Go For $50.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:16 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by 383ZJUICED
I Got The Msa 3 Into 2 Header Ill Let Go For $50.
Snap dude... I'd be doin that! Mission complete!