Vegas 350Z Club Where its all about Sin City and the 350Z..

Upcoming Tech...uh...Extended Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 12:19 PM

Upcoming Tech...uh...Extended Weekend

Well, I'm pulling a "Rob" and spending a ton 'o money on making my car FI. I have ordered a turbo kit for my '99 Miata...and I'm doing the install myself. The kit should be shipped within 2 weeks. I've got to start preparing now.

210-220 to the wheels. Not to shabby for a 2400# car.

Anybody want to help? I'm debating as to whether to change the clutch myself. Anybody know any shops in town that do decent clutch installs...at a decent price? I COULD do it myself, but that would add alot install time on an already long weekend. Maybe I could do it early, like the weekend before the turbo. Pulling the engine would make it soooo much easier. Anybody have a spare engine hoist I could borrow? Hehe...

If you can't lend a hand, at least wish me luck. I think I might need it!
Old 10-20-2005, 12:23 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

I will help depending on the weekend. If its the first weekend in November I cant do it. Anything after that I can at least show for one full day.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:04 PM

Sweet. I've been made a catch phrase.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:21 PM

Depending on the weekend... I wouldnt mind getting my hands dirty for a day lol
Old 10-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

If you want, I can get you and your vehicle on base, use our auto shop for about $4-6/hour. All tools and equipment is included (vehicle lifts, etc.) I'll help you since I've the day off.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Originally Posted by ensmuns
If you want, I can get you and your vehicle on base, use our auto shop for about $4-6/hour. All tools and equipment is included (vehicle lifts, etc.) I'll help you since I've the day off.
Wait... can we have all of our tech sessions there as long as you or Zro are there?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:36 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Yeap. Officially, per military personnel, we can bring in 2 or 3 people at most. If Zro is good that day also, then he and I can bring in a max of 6 people total, provided that the vehicles (two) that are coming in can hold that many. Do I make sense? Feels like I'm confusing someone...
Old 10-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Oh so its one car per military personnel and 2-3 people per car?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Yeah, and we have to take it in. So if I'm bringing in Brian's car, then it can only be me and him since it's a 2-seater.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:50 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Oh, that sucks. We should all join the Air Force...
Old 10-20-2005, 02:57 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Hahaha no. You make more money doing commercial than we'll ever get in the AF. Just ask Ty.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Ok then somebody should just open up a shop. I will invest in it...
Old 10-20-2005, 03:15 PM

I actually thought of opening a shop where you could just rent out fully equipped stalls with lifts, but I'd bet that the insurance would be a killer.

I'm down to lend a hand too.

And yeah, the AF pays squat. I think that I was making like $825 a paycheck when I got out.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

I think we're getting the same now... I'm getting some $1200 per paycheck, but including inflation and whatnot, I think it's about the same.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ensmuns
I tell you what. If you can get me in there to do the clutch, OMG I'd buy you lunch for a week!!! Or a a couple lap dances at the Spearmint Rhino. Or just give you flat out cash money

After reviewing the instructions for the turbo install, we should have no problem installing it in my garage. There's minimal work under the car.

BUT the clutch is a whole different story! All under car work. A lift would be a gawdsend. Good tools and a lift would make the job 1000% easier and shorten the install to five hours or so (I hope). Please, please tell me you can hook this up! Maybe next Saturday, the 29th?

I have some friends in Frederick, MD who work at Ft. Detrick there. We used to use the base garage all of the time. Same deal- $5 an hour and all of the pro tools you need. My tax dollars at work.

I'm going to run the Miata at Mahem on Nov 9th to get a baseline. Bone stock Miata...17 Secs+ Woohoo.

I'm thinking that I might do the install the weekend of Nov. 11-13. That's 3 weeks away. Any help would VERY much appreciated. Just think of all of kewl new stuff you will learn.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Originally Posted by scoobybri
I tell you what. If you can get me in there to do the clutch, OMG I'd buy you lunch for a week!!! Or a a couple lap dances at the Spearmint Rhino. Or just give you flat out cash money

After reviewing the instructions for the turbo install, we should have no problem installing it in my garage. There's minimal work under the car.

BUT the clutch is a whole different story! All under car work. A lift would be a gawdsend. Good tools and a lift would make the job 1000% easier and shorten the install to five hours or so (I hope). Please, please tell me you can hook this up! Maybe next Saturday, the 29th?

I have some friends in Frederick, MD who work at Ft. Detrick there. We used to use the base garage all of the time. Same deal- $5 an hour and all of the pro tools you need. My tax dollars at work.

I'm going to run the Miata at Mahem on Nov 9th to get a baseline. Bone stock Miata...17 Secs+ Woohoo.

I'm thinking that I might do the install the weekend of Nov. 11-13. That's 3 weeks away. Any help would VERY much appreciated. Just think of all of kewl new stuff you will learn.
Hehe, no problem. Next Saturday sounds fine. It's a first come, first serve basis, so if you want a stall, I recommend we get there before 0800. I'll keep you posted just in case.

Last edited by ensmuns; 10-21-2005 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:54 AM

Most excellent! Thanks so much! I couldn't have installed it this weekend because I just ordered the parts today. Everything should be here by mid next week. I guess you and I are going to learn how to change out a clutch and flywheel together. One of the techs at Flyin Miata estimated that with a lift and good tools, two newbies should be able to get the job done in 4-5 hours. Let's get there as early as possible. What time to they open?

I got all kinds of goodies coming...

Flyin Miata Turbo kit with IC...Includes Garrett GT28 Turbo. The simple engine management system will allow me run 8-9 lbs of boost. The internals are the same as their high end kit. All I need is different engine management (like hydra) and bigger injectors and I can run 12-15lbs of boost.
9lb. aluminum flywheel (that's half the mass of stock)
ACT heavy duty clutch
New 2.5" midpipe with high flow cat
New dual exhaust (simply for bling factor)
AEM Wideband A/F sensor and guage (mid pipe already has a bung it for an AF guage)

Let's plan on the weekend of November 11-13th. That's 3 weeks away. Whatever help I can get to help me shave 3 seconds off my 1/4 mile time would be well appreciated.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:48 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Most excellent! Thanks so much! I couldn't have installed it this weekend because I just ordered the parts today. Everything should be here by mid next week. I guess you and I are going to learn how to change out a clutch and flywheel together. One of the techs at Flyin Miata estimated that with a lift and good tools, two newbies should be able to get the job done in 4-5 hours. Let's get there as early as possible. What time to they open?

I got all kinds of goodies coming...

Flyin Miata Turbo kit with IC...Includes Garrett GT28 Turbo. The simple engine management system will allow me run 8-9 lbs of boost. The internals are the same as their high end kit. All I need is different engine management (like hydra) and bigger injectors and I can run 12-15lbs of boost.
9lb. aluminum flywheel (that's half the mass of stock)
ACT heavy duty clutch
New 2.5" midpipe with high flow cat
New dual exhaust (simply for bling factor)
AEM Wideband A/F sensor and guage (mid pipe already has a bung it for an AF guage)

Let's plan on the weekend of November 11-13th. That's 3 weeks away. Whatever help I can get to help me shave 3 seconds off my 1/4 mile time would be well appreciated.
Alrighty then. We can only do this on the 11th & 12th because they're closed Sunday and Monday (13th & 14th). Bring about $30 or so for stall fees. Let's keep this thread fresh for reminders and updates. Anyone else who wants to come, let me know. Maybe Zro can get the rest of you all in and we can all learn something.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Or I guess we're doing this on the 29th (read it from the sticky calender thread). Brian, let me know! If it's decided on the 29th, be at the base at 0745 sharp. Shop opens at 0800. This will ensure a stall space. Also, make sure you have current registration and insurance information so I can get your vehicle pass.

Fo' shizzle.

Last edited by ensmuns; 10-23-2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:16 PM

I wouldnt mind going to help out, let me know if I could be of some assistance :-)
Old 10-23-2005, 04:18 PM

I guess there's some confusion here. Cris, we are only doing the clutch install on October 29th. The turbo install is happening Nov. 11-13 in my garage.

NForce, any help would be appreciated. If Zrolimit can get other people on base to help, that would cool.

Cris, where do you want me to meet you? At the base entrance? Which base entrance?

Last edited by scoobybri; 10-23-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

I guess there's some confusion here. Cris, we are only doing the clutch install on October 29th. The turbo install is happening Nov. 11-13 in my garage.

NForce, any help would be appreciated. If Zrolimit can get other people on base to help, that would cool.

Cris, where do you want me to meet you? At the base entrance? Which base entrance?
That's all good. I think you can pick me up. I live at 4429 Lawrence Street, the apartment complex in front of the Cannery. As long as we get there at 0745, it's a go. I'll PM you my number and I'll meet you out front.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:52 AM

How 'bout I pick you up at 7:10? That way, we are at the base by 7:25 and parked in front of a bay by 7:35. I just want to make sure we get a stall.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:50 PM

Now I'm getting even more deeper into this...I just ordered a used head and I'm going to have a multiangle valve job done to it. That way I have pefect valves and compression for my boosted engine. I compression tested the engine over the weekend and everything is up to spec. Here we go kids!
Old 10-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Geez moneybags! Did you already pass the BAR or something? Although the sad part is, I bet all of that stuff was still about 1/3 the price it would be to do that stuff to a 350Z or G35.

Quick Reply: Upcoming Tech...uh...Extended Weekend