Vegas 350Z Club Where its all about Sin City and the 350Z..

RIP Homer... story of a car

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:59 PM

RIP Homer... story of a car

This thread isn't about the specific make/model of the car... it's about A car. it could have been a chevette, a skyline, a mustang... it's the passion that we have for our cars that is what it's really about. keep tabs on your stuff if you really love it (GPS trackers, etc).
And it shows what ultimately happened to my car...

Cars, to the general public, are a simple mode of transportation. They amentities aid in the travel and make things that much more comfortable.

For car lovers, a vehicle can be a family member. Our vehicles can give us grief, can make us smile, they cost a lot of money, but can also generate money. They gripe about being pushed too hard, they pur when they are treated properly.

My CRX, dubbed "Homer", started life first, as a 1989 Honda CRX Si, purchased in the fall of 1999. The CRX was my first manual. Years prior, Brenda had taught me some basics, but I didn't get the hang out of it until the night I drove it to work for the first time. It was a 10mile trip to and fro, and I learned on the way. I stalled a lot. The CRX would be later dubbed Homer for it's compulsive behavior to not run right.. and it was yellow.

Homer's life would be cut short, three weeks after I got a fresh new paint job on him, when a truck would pull out in front of me and I tee-boned him. Homer was a complete write-off. Months later after driving my newly acquired Maxima, I began looking for another CRX to put the heart and soul of Homer into. I strolled onto a 1990 CRX HF which a guy was selling cause his wife rear-ended a truck. It was white, and the hood was crumpled, but other than that, looked good.

Over the next few weeks, I would transport everything from old Homer into new Homer. I spent countless hours wrenching on the two cars to get everything transferred over, along with Eric's help in dealing with some of the larger tasks.

Old Homer was never really a "race" car, per se. I raced it a handful of times at an autocross and a drag strip, but it was far from spectacular.

Celso waving me on at one of my very first autocrosses, during an autocross at Texas Station, 7/11/99.

Homer, always with it's hood up, 2/5/00.

The new Homer would have a purpose. To be built as a solid Autocross car, with the ability to be taken to an open track event, and do ok at drag racing. I began removing anything I didn't need from the car, heater controls, ac, carpet, etc, etc, etc. then we took it to an autocross to see how it would do:

Eric racing Homer, 1/16/01

Over the next few years, I would work on making the car handle better, make it faster, and learn how to drive the car to the limit. I would enroll in several "High Performance Driver's Education" (HPDE, aka Open Track) to see how well I could handle high speeds.

Las Vegas Speedway Autocross, 2001

Then, Homer would experience his next paint job. Prowler Yellow was the choice, and Maaco was more than willing to take my $300 to have him sprayed. I would also make some more minor changes, mainly cosmetic (like removing the tint)

Las Vegas Region Call Show (To get more people to autocross), 2001;; the tape was to keep the headlamps aligned, as I didn't have the tabs on the headlamps to properly mount them!

Las Vegas Speedway Autocross, 2/17/02
Texas Station Autocross, 7/7/02
Texas Station Autocross, 8/4/02
Las Vegas Motor Speedway, 9/22/02

Eventually, I would start taking safety as a serious subject and installed a rollcage. This would help allow me to race it on a road course at higher speeds without the fear of killing myself...

Rollcage

Video of me taking a lap around SMMP
Autocross set up at SMMP

As always, I tried to keep the car clean for each race, in case any photographers were around to snap some pictures. As luck would have it, during one such autocross, I was approached by Grassroots Motorsports magazine and they wanted to feature my car in an upcoming issue. Me, seeing that the fruits of my labor were being identified by others, was more than happy to share.

LVMS Autocross, where I was approached for an article

GRM Page1
GRM Page2
GRM Page3
GRM Page4

I was always ok with letting people drive my car. It gave me an opportunity to help people see that Hondas can be made to perform and be a very fast "Racecar". It was also a way to get feedback about the car... if it's pushing too much or not enough.

Ray Berlo or Spencer driving Homer, 12/1/02

Fabrizio Leone driving Homer, 3/9/03

Between 2004 and 2006, I slowed down a bit on Autocross and began to focus more on open track days. The speeds were higher, passing was allowed, and it was more of a challenge to both the car and me. Autocross benefitted Homer much better than track days. Track days allowed other cars to stretch their legs... which Homer didn't have a lot of. A friend and I also came up with this weird challenge to see who could build a car that could do drag racing, autocross, and time trials... thus came about the ***** Challenge.

SMMP during the 1st ***** Challenge, 9/25/04

CalSpeedway, NASA TT-D, 3/14/05
CalSpeedway, NASA TT-D, 3/14/05; I took 1st in my class both days.

SMMP, see my head tilting? 4/30/05

SMMP #2, drive those curbs, 4/30/05

During the spring of 2006, I thought it was high time that I got Homer a new face lift, going with a color scheme i saw of another guy's CRX... yellow with black hood, roof, and trunk. Prep took about a two-three weeks, while the engine was being rebuilt to push the car at a much higher rate of speed. This tear down would be the most costly, but also the most ambitious, as I was shooting for a very stout 200whp in a car that weighed under 2000lbs, as well as make it look like a prize fighter.

Homer was torn down again, and stripped of his essentials.

Being torn down, 2006

Doorless, 2006

A friend offered to paint Homer in his garage, if I paid for the materials and helped with prep.

Being towed to the "paint shop"

Doorless, 2006

After:

Sunrise Mountain, 2006

And some race shots of Homer dressed in his Sunday best.

LVMS, 6/10/06

BC Police Lot, Autocross, 6/11/06

Drag Strip, 6/9/06, yes that's Mike's pimp Z behind me.

and the last track day I had with him:

SMMP, 10/28/06

Then... some rapists took him... doing what they pleased with him...and then kicking him to the curb (and next to a fire hydrant in hopes it got towed quickly).

The Aftermath:

I did what I could do to keep him from being molested from thieves. I did my best to avoid the street races, and other high crime places that would grab the wrong attention...Over the eight years that I've had a CRX, building this car from pretty much nothing, into what was a Magazine Feature, a competitive race car, an underdog in the realm of racing, to almost iconic in it's ability to perform...
Some people have cars as a form of Transportation... Homer was a child I nurtured for eight years. I've lost him....

So long Homer, the CRX...

indeed. (the thieves wrote that).
Old 04-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

WOW! I can't believe you found Homer. Worst yet, it seems that the thieves knew you and the car. Looks like they yoinked everything, but are the suspensions still intact? This makes me really upset.

Let them have it after you find out who did this to Homer! :s-redeemer:
Old 04-30-2007, 01:08 AM

Stupid rice kiddies stole it, I bet. I'd start looking around the street races for some kid with a honda that happens to have your engine in it.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:39 AM

Man that totally sucks. Start heading out to the WOW meets and illegals looking for parts. Just make sure you roll with some people and maybe a little heat in the belt. Just be careful.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:02 AM

Poor Homer. I hardly knew ye.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Las Vegas Moderator

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! That sucks Kam. Its sad to see it all like that.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Taste My Rainbow

yeah sorry to hear that but a very nice eulogy you have there.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:05 AM

What a bunch of ****ing ******** leaving that RIP message.....man I am so pissed right now. You are right, to some, their cars are like kids, I know exactly how you feel. I only hope you find then ones who did this.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:20 AM
Usedta be Justin260z

I feel so sorry for you, man. What are you going to do with Homer now? Are you looking for the people who did this?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Political n00b crusher

Sorry for your loss man, that really sucks. I hope those ******** who did this get whats coming to them...
Old 04-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Über User

i hope you find this, how the hell did they know his name was homer though, they must be locals some one you met at one time or something, thats a clue and you can track them down. find tehm and if they dont have teh parts, beat the **** out of them. soo sorry for you loss man. and i wouldnt hope the thieves get whats comming to them, i would make sure they get whats comming to them, what tehy did in my eyes is the equivalance to someone rapping my daughter, payment time, and payback is a bitch.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Usedta be Justin260z

You have a daughter?
Old 04-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
payback is a bitch.
Absolutely. Historically, Karma's known to bite you (or help you) when you least expect it, but yet, deserve it.

BTW, FleaBay will be the best place to start looking.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:50 PM

Hey, put a list up of all the mods they took, that way we all know what to look for. And really, that Homer spraypaint thing just is pissing me off more and more throughout the day.....talk about making it personal....and Ensmuns I hope your right about that Karma and I hope it comes back around and bites whoever did this in the *** hard.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:08 PM

Any action done comes back twofold. They will get what they deserve all right, and 2 times worse.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:57 PM

the engine was the biggest thing... finding that will be rather tough... I have the serial number, but anyone can scrape that off.
I'm looking for the hood and other things (seats) that will help me find the person/persons.

I've already done some recon of suspected neighborhoods... will be doing some "cheaters" style detective work
Old 04-30-2007, 02:11 PM

My condolences for the loss. I don't know what I'd do if I lost any one of my Zs.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Driven

I've already done some recon of suspected neighborhoods... will be doing some "cheaters" style detective work
I've got all kinds of free time if you need some help.

When we catch 'em, I think we should spray paint them black before turning them over to the cops.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by i8acobra
I've got all kinds of free time if you need some help.

When we catch 'em, I think we should spray paint them black before turning them over to the cops.
I think Yellow would be better .
Old 04-30-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm a Registered User!

That really pisses me off man.
I've had people mess with my "racecar" before and it really makes me mad.
They only broke all the windows on car, let alone do THAT! and I wanted to tear their ***** off.

RIP Homer.... they're !@#$ing bastards...

I hope you find them before the cops do.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:38 PM

If someone did that to one of my cars i would make it my soul mission to find them and beat the $#!% out of them with there own tools.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:37 PM
Über User

you should find a way to give them cancer, or a brain tumor....
Old 04-30-2007, 10:28 PM

I dont even know what to say other than OUCH..