Vegas 350Z Club Where its all about Sin City and the 350Z..

Project Double Down: From Start to Finish

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 11:13 AM

Geez thats some insane torque! Your gonna have to learn traction control all over again huh?

Looks fantastic.

Glenn
Old 02-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Las Vegas Moderator

Well here are a few pictures of the new Corbeau FX1 Pro seat installed as well as the Defi Link Meter Control Unit that I have mounted where the radio was. Eventually when I mount the Defi boost, egt, and oil temp gauges, they will all hook up to the control unit allowing me to record and play back data after track sessions.

Videos are coming soon. I was going to edit them at work today, but my computer here cannot read mini DVDs so I will have to wait until tonight when I get home. Sorry for the wait.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:18 AM
Las Vegas Moderator

ANOTHER NEW SPONSOR!!!

Again, I am very excited to announce another sponsor for Project Double Down! The new sponsor is SVRTechnologies which is a new company that will be making some exciting new products for the 350Z! To start with, my 350Z will be getting their new stainless 3” dual exhaust! This exhaust is awesome! It is a turbo back design with an X pipe in the middle. The system utilizes AeroTurbine mufflers as well which are high quality. My favorite part of this new exhaust, aside from being 3”, is that it already comes with two extra O2 sensor bungs, one of which I will use for my AEM wideband gauge! The exhaust should be installed by the Performance Nissan Meet on February 25 and then from there, it goes back to Jim Wolf for re-tuning to accommodate the new exhaust.

I am excited to see what power gains this system will yield for as well as what it will do for the power and torque curve. It should be exciting and I will post here in this thread when completed.

Here are some pictures of the exhaust system on the owner’s 350Z…

You can visit their website, which is currently under construction, at www.svrtechnologies.com
Old 02-01-2006, 02:36 PM

nice exhaust. so are you going to take the car back to VRT to have them retune it all for you after the exhaust?
Old 02-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Originally Posted by pope
nice exhaust. so are you going to take the car back to VRT to have them retune it all for you after the exhaust?
Yep! They are taking my car back with them from the Performance Nissan meet on the 25th and then they are giving it back to me on March 4th at the Redline Track Events Time Attack at Cal Speedway. They are going to double check everything to make sure its still running perfect as well as have Jim Wolf re-tune everything with the new exhaust. They may even install my Quaife LSD for me if I can't find someone here thats good.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:25 PM

that exhaust is beautiful!
Old 02-03-2006, 11:27 AM

Mike wheres the Video?
Old 02-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Originally Posted by VegasEdge
Mike wheres the Video?
My computer aparently cannot read the mini DVDs that I use in my video camera and I either don't have, or can't find the cord that connects the computer to the camera itself. I watched the video on my TV last night and it didn't come out that good anyway. All you can really hear is wind noise because we had the windows down. I am still trying to find another way to get it on here though. Sorry for the wait.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:01 PM

I'll be happy to meet up and do a couple of runs this afternoon... just let me win and I'll tape it.
Originally Posted by 350ZNV
My computer aparently cannot read the mini DVDs that I use in my video camera and I either don't have, or can't find the cord that connects the computer to the camera itself. I watched the video on my TV last night and it didn't come out that good anyway. All you can really hear is wind noise because we had the windows down. I am still trying to find another way to get it on here though. Sorry for the wait.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Originally Posted by rob209
I'll be happy to meet up and do a couple of runs this afternoon... just let me win and I'll tape it.
We can arrange something...but not this afternoon. Maybe Sunday or next week.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Las Vegas Moderator

WEEKEND UPDATE:

Well this weekend I got some work done on the Z. Not at all as much as I had hoped to get done but at least its a little closer to completion. I spent a good portion of my saturday grinding out the remaining sound deadener and the glue it left behind. After 5 hours of grinding and vaccuming out sound deadener I was finally done. I was left with one problem though, the wire wheel left a bunch of bare metal spots all over the place, so I decided to do a little painting. I painted the floorboard of the passenger side flat black. It looks really good, but I think when I get time, I will cover the inside with a thin carpet like they use on speaker boxes and add some skateboard grip tape to where the driver and passenger's feet go. The only other thing I got done over the weekend was mounting the AEM wideband gauge above the Defi Control Unit in the dash where the radio used to be. Pics will come soon, but that stuff isn't really exciting. The project is going slow right now, but most of the boring work is done so hopefully it will be getting exciting soon. Here is a short timeline of things to come...

February 11th - Another full day to work on the car.

February 25th - Performance Nissan Meet

February 26th through March 3rd - Car will be at VRT for the following...
- Post break in check up.
- Quaife LSD Install
- Re-tune with SVRTech 3" Dual Exhaust (if it gets here on time)

March 4th & 5th - Redline Track Events Time Attack @ California Speedway

I still cannot figure out how to get the video from the mini DVD to my computer so I apologise for that.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:11 PM

If I can scrape up the cash fast enough I may drop off my car to VRT that weekend too.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:29 PM

^^^ I recommend banks on Friday mornings...
Old 02-06-2006, 01:56 PM

Knocking over 7-11s is taking too long. I may have to up my game.

The JWT TT kits don't delete the cats do they? I figure that they'd need them for the CARB cert, but I just want to make sure.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Originally Posted by roneski
Knocking over 7-11s is taking too long. I may have to up my game.

The JWT TT kits don't delete the cats do they? I figure that they'd need them for the CARB cert, but I just want to make sure.
Nope they retain the stock cats or Crawford HF cats in your case...
Old 02-06-2006, 02:02 PM

Cool. You going to be working on your car tonight? I still need to check it out. Maybe I can swing by after class this evening.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Originally Posted by roneski
Cool. You going to be working on your car tonight? I still need to check it out. Maybe I can swing by after class this evening.
Probably for a little bit. Give me a call when you get out of class.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

I worked on the car today and this is what I got done...

Interior floorboards and glove box "holes" are now painted flat black and I think it looks pretty good. I also made a piece that will go where the NAV compartment used to be and it will hold the Defi boost, EGT, and oil temp gauges. The flat black paint is drying on that, as well as the interior as we speak. Tomorrow, the seats, center console, and gauges will go in, however, the gauges will most likely not be installed until later.

By next Sunday I hope to have the Fire Bottle fire suppression system and Data Cam video datalogger installed, as well as the boost and oil temp gauges hooked up. The EGT gauge will wait until I get the new exhaust on as it will already have a bung welded for it. Then after that its on to the suspension tuning and a nice wash, wax, and detail for the Performance Nissan Meet!
Old 02-07-2006, 02:01 AM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Here's a next mod I think you should get: a sequential gearbox. Cuts shifting down to milliseconds. Since you have Quaife as a sponsor, maybe you should see if they have the 6-speed sequential gearbox for the Z.

Last edited by ensmuns; 02-07-2006 at 02:05 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:06 AM
Las Vegas Moderator

Originally Posted by ensmuns
Here's a next mod I think you should get: a sequential gearbox. Cuts shifting down to milliseconds. Since you have Quaife as a sponsor, maybe you should see if they have the 6-speed sequential gearbox for the Z.
Hahaha that would be awesome. Although I am sure it would be somewhere in the $20k range.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by ensmuns
I like it. I'll give him 6 months.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Originally Posted by rob209
I like it. I'll give him 6 months.
Lol, I give him about 3 now that I put that idea in his head. By the time we know it, he'll be in talks with Quaife.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
Hahaha that would be awesome. Although I am sure it would be somewhere in the $20k range.
Yeah, no kidding. I looked at the pricelist and went !!!

Last edited by ensmuns; 02-07-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:44 PM

thanks for the ride! whichever tune you had tonight was pretty good. as soon as you get the suspension dialed in, it should be a killer!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Las Vegas Moderator

Your welcome Jimbo

Here are some more pics I took at the gas station last night on the way to BWW. The wheels are very dirty and I apolgise.

Quick Reply: Project Double Down: From Start to Finish