Vegas 350Z Club Where its all about Sin City and the 350Z..

Project Double Down: From Start to Finish

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Right now on the pump gas tune I am running 10lbs of boost and should be putting out 450-470whp and around 500wtq. Once I switch to the race gas tune and turn the boost up to 13.5-14 lbs, you can add another 50 to those numbers.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
Right now on the pump gas tune I am running 10lbs of boost and should be putting out 450-470whp and around 500wtq. Once I switch to the race gas tune and turn the boost up to 13.5-14 lbs, you can add another 50 to those numbers.

thats a really safe boost level. i ran 10psi daily on my rsx with stock internals and it never had a problem (only had the car at that level for like 5k miles before it was stolen though). you will be able to put lots of power down on forged internals. If you are anything like I am, you will be satisfied for about a couple months then you will want more. boost is addictive.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

It is safe for the motor because I do the track racing where I am in boost for 30-45 min. straight and hard on the throttle. A little lesson on the Z and boost though. The Z can't run too much boost on its stock internals because of the high compression ratio of 10.?:1. The forged pistons in the built motor are 8.5:1 which is still pretty high for a forced induction motor. This is why I can't run 20 something lbs. The reason for this is that they are a perfect match for the JWT twin turbo kit. Since the JWT twin turbos are small and fast spooling, they max out rather easily. Now if I wanted big boost and hp numbers I would switch to bigger turbos and lower compression pistons. I would be giving up my no lag turbo system though and I wouldn't reach full boost until the upper rpm range instead of 2300 rpms, where the JWT is at full bost now.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:20 PM

the compression ration on my rsx was almost 11:1. i has the greddy kit on it.. its built full boost by 3000 rpm and held it all the way to my 8300 rpm redline. it was a nice powerband...and it made good power at 10psi since the compression ratio was so high anyways.

i didnt know the 350z was so high compression. I though only honda/acuras were that high (well the m3 and some more expensive cars too). i thought the Z was in the 9.5:1 area. i learn somthing new everyday.

i understand wanting to keep boost low for track use/abuse. its hard on a boosted car to be in powerband for long time frames, if the car is maxed out power-wise.

full boost in the 2-3k range is great for the track. i loved having over 5k of powerband in my rsx, and it would be great to have that in a Z too. i will be looking forward to a ride in your car... im sure it will help me to push more money into the vrt fund
Old 01-24-2006, 12:23 AM
Las Vegas Moderator

Wow, that suprises me that your compression was so high on 10 lbs. I too learn something new everyday lol.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:22 AM

mine is 10:1 on 10 psi now... its awesome...

most factory turbo cars have 8.5:1 cr too... soo, if its tuned properly, i dont see why you wouldnt be able to run the higher boost levels. my piping has that aluminum tape stuff too.

apex'i has a new monitor you plug into the obd port, and it tells you all the vitals of what your ecm sees, like intake temps... may want to check that out. you may want to check into water injection too. cant wait to see that dyno!
Old 01-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Las Vegas Moderator

Well, I just got another call from VRT and they found a small oil leak somewhere in the system. They said it only leaked a few drops overnight, but they want to give it back to me perfect so they are going to fix it today. Tomorrow morning it goes back over to Jim Wolf for some dyno runs and then its on its way here. So its another day I have to wait, but I am glad that they want to make sure everything is perfect and I am happy that they keep me informed.

In the meantime I got a sponsorship offer from a very respectful company and we are smoothing out the wrinkles of the agreement right now. So check back and I will tell you who it is!

I am also putting in an order for all new flat black sponsor decals at J&J Vinyl. I am going to get rid of the roll call and re-arange some things to make room for some more sponsors!
Old 01-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

All this talk about boosting is making me horny for a TT kit.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by ensmuns
All this talk about boosting is making me horny for a TT kit.
I'm going home and banging my .... pedal to the floor.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Vegas 350Z Moderator

Originally Posted by rob209
I'm going home and banging my .... pedal to the floor.

^^^ Lol!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:56 AM

I was just reading about cams - are you getting the S2 series from JWT? I'm sure you are, apparently the are made for turbocharged engines. I think that may be my next mod.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:55 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

I was just reading about cams - are you getting the S2 series from JWT? I'm sure you are, apparently the are made for turbocharged engines. I think that may be my next mod.
Yeah I think the S2s are good for around 40whp!
Old 01-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

PROJECT DOUBLE DOWN GETS A NEW SPONSOR!

I am so excited about this, I can’t stand it. I have just came to an agreement with Quaife America to sponsor my 350Z for 2006! Quaife makes an awesome limited slip differential for our 350Zs and G35s, and now one of them is going on Project Double Down!

A short lesson in Limited Slip Differentials (LSD):

What an LSD does is distributes power to the wheel with the most traction. This is awesome for both drag racing and track racing. In drag racing, it will distribute almost a perfect 50/50 distribution of power to both wheels. If one wheel starts losing traction, it will distribute more power to the other wheel so you don’t lose any power to wheel spin. Now don’t get me wrong, you can still spin the tires, but the Quaife LSD makes it harder to when you are trying to maintain grip. This also works VERY well for track racing. When exiting a turn the LSD transfers power to the outside wheel eliminating spin on the inside wheel. The added power to the wheel with the grip will allow you to get on the gas sooner and exit a lot faster than with an open differential. The best part about the Quaife LSD, is that it comes with a limited lifetime warranty!

Again, I am really excited to have Quaife on board with me and I can’t wait to get their LSD in my car. Look for a full review after some “testing.”

More info on this can be found at www.quaifeamerica.com

Images from www.QuaifeAmerica.com
Old 01-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Well the Racer Factory event that was supposed to be at Buttonwillow is now canceled. They need 40 cars to enter to break even and with only 16 pre-registered, they werent confident that they were going to reach that number. Unfortunately this was the only track day that I had before the Redline Track Events Time Attack at Cal Speedway March 5th. That means I will only have March 4th at Cal Speedway to get all of my suspension tuning done and get used to the car before the Time Attack the next day. Not to mention I have never driven Cal Speedway before.

So now the first event that my car will be at will be the Performance Nissan Meet February 25th.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

FINALLY!!!!!

Chapter 4: Tuning and Tweaking

Today marks day #2 at Jim Wolf Technology. No my, car still isn’t back yet . Yesterday my car was being tuned by Jim Wolf and Clark over at JWT on their Dynopack. After hours of tuning and a small grounding problem Jim asked if he could keep the car overnight so it can cool down and then they can do power runs in the morning. I said that it was fine so there it sat for another night. The grounding problem was a result of all of the dead connections caused by the removal of all my interior and unnecessary electronics, but now that is fixed.

Anyways, this morning, Jim found out that I live in Las Vegas, so he decided to do some tweaks to the tuning to make up for the heat of summer out here in the desert, which took a few hours. I am really happy he did that because that thought somehow didn’t even cross my mind. After letting the car cool down for an hour or so they turned the boost up to 8.5 lbs. and made a pull. 443 whp and 430 wtq on a 8.5:1 motor burning 91 octane!!! That’s ridiculous! The car now is cooling down again and then they are going to dump straight 110 octane in the tank and turn up the boost! The dyno sheet for that pull will be posted as soon as I get it.

The car is running perfectly and is scheduled to be back in my garage tonight. I know I have been saying that for a few days now, but hopefully everything stays the way it is. Since I made so much power at 8.5 lbs. I am going to keep it there until I get used to the car. I owe a BIG thank you to Jim Wolf and Clark and the guys at VRT for taking the time to fine tune the car and make sure that it runs 100% perfect. And just so you know, Michael at VRT called me each time to see if I wanted my car back or wanted it dyno tuned some more. I obviously opted for the tuning every time because its better to be safe than sorry.

Chapter 5 will be here soon and will include my impressions on the test drive and pictures of the finished car!
Old 01-26-2006, 02:40 PM

wow. holy sh**!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2006, 03:07 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

A few more pictures...

Old 01-26-2006, 03:27 PM

so how much was youy motor build and turbo through vrt... if you dont mind me asking. i am just curious as to how much i am going to have to save you can pm me if you arent comfortable putting it out there. i just want a ballpark.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Originally Posted by pope
so how much was youy motor build and turbo through vrt... if you dont mind me asking. i am just curious as to how much i am going to have to save you can pm me if you arent comfortable putting it out there. i just want a ballpark.
Actually they sponsor me so I got a good discount. I had them do a bunch of other things besides the motor build too and they just rolled it all into one total and knocked off a percentage of that. So to answer your question, I don't know. They would be happy to give you a quote. If you want I can give you Scott's number.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
Actually they sponsor me so I got a good discount. I had them do a bunch of other things besides the motor build too and they just rolled it all into one total and knocked off a percentage of that. So to answer your question, I don't know. They would be happy to give you a quote. If you want I can give you Scott's number.

That would be great. Thanks
Old 01-26-2006, 04:54 PM

sweet! drag racing tomorrow!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

sweet! drag racing tomorrow!
Tempting, but I have to get started working on it. Plus I hate Midnight Mayhem.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:23 PM

With your set up, how much boost can you run. If apparently 8.5 is low... then whats high??
Old 01-26-2006, 06:30 PM

What happend with the straight 110 octane and upped boost?
Old 01-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Las Vegas Moderator

Here is the new dyno chart showing the originial pull at 8.5 lbs and the 10 lb. run! They decided not to do a 14 lb. run since the internals only have a few hundred miles on them.

Quick Reply: Project Double Down: From Start to Finish