Southeast Region Includes AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, TN.

Marietta, GA 280zx help

Old 07-17-2013, 05:49 PM

Marietta, GA 280zx help

Any z fanatics . mechanics in the Marietta, GA area, i need help swapping the exhaust manifold gasket. Im pretty good mechanically, but have heard that people familiar with the job can make a 10hr job into a 2 hr job. Im tight on cash like everyone else, so i cant afford to pay a mechanic $500 to fix a $10 part.

pm me please.

I would also like to meet up with some local z guys, its my first venture into the old datsuns, need a little actual owner history as the internet tends to be biased.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 AM

Too bad you're not in Wa, I've done it a few times. And yes, it started off at about a 6 to 8 hour job, now its under 1, but I did some changes..
Old 07-18-2013, 03:04 PM

You could call Eddie Radatz in Kennesaw and get an estimate from him.

Other options include joining Z Atlanta on Facebook and seeing if someone there can help you.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:23 PM

I went by e radatz to pick up some seat frames, the older gentleman there said around $450-$500... I simply won't pay that... I could be halfway to a 350sbc swap at that point

Thanks for the replies, anybody else?
Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 PM

And I'm going to try z Atlanta now!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:22 AM

There's also Gwinnett Performance. Gwinnett Performance Automotive Service

Vince Corry owns the place. That's his 240Z in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Marietta, GA 280zx help-dsc01192.jpg  
Old 07-21-2013, 03:44 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by b2usmc
the older gentleman there said around $450-$500... I simply won't pay that...
Just an FYI, most shops charge ~$80-$110/hr for labor. The first time you do a manifold gasket change, it takes 3-8hrs because of rusted and broken bolts, cracking wires, etc. Most shop techs / mechanics aren't replacing L28E manifold gaskets daily, so they can't do it blindfolded like some die-hard Z owners.

Unless you can find a super nice person who doesn't have anything else going on, expect to pay $300-$500 in shop labor.

Having worked on many cars, I clearly understand the worth / cost of labor.

Last edited by NismoPick; 07-21-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Just an FYI, most shops charge ~$80-$110/hr for labor. The first time you do a manifold gasket change, it takes 3-8hrs because of rusted and broken bolts, cracking wires, etc. Most shop techs / mechanics aren't replacing L28E manifold gaskets daily, so they can't do it blindfolded like some die-hard Z owners.

Unless you can find a super nice person who doesn't have anything else going on, expect to pay $300-$500 in shop labor.

Having worked on many cars, I clearly understand the worth / cost of labor.
E ratadz only work on z cars... So they should be the "blindfolded" type and not charge what any other mechanic charges in my opinion, and in yours if you read your post. It's not that I cannot do the job, I def can, it's just that I know the value of experience and how it can save both time and money. I can build a crown vic from parts and have it running in 8 hrs... And I charge for repairs accordingly. I'm new to the site, not the car world, I've owned more cars than I've lived years.

With that said, I posted looking for the "blindfolded" type of person that "has nothing better to do" than help another person, not everyone only thinks about themselves.

Thanks for the replies, I will check with Gwinnett performance in the morning.

Last edited by b2usmc; 07-21-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:30 PM
The Good Twin

and not charge what any other mechanic charges in my opinion
So you expect a specialty shop to charge less than the standard hourly rate?

and in yours if you read your post.

Just an FYI, most shops charge ~$80-$110/hr for labor. The first time you do a manifold gasket change, it takes 3-8hrs because of rusted and broken bolts, cracking wires, etc.

expect to pay $300-$500 in shop labor.
Doing the math...

$80/hr x 3hrs = $240
$110/hr x 8hrs = $880

My previous $300-$500 labor estimate would be right in the middle (giving those "Z specialty shops" some low-labor-cost credit for you). That's a good range of what to expect... I'd like to know what Nissan would charge you (most shops quote by what the dealer says is standard completion time).

Anyway, not trying to be a dick, but I don't expect experienced mechanics to give away hours of free labor.

Our member Thxone and a few others live in and near GA... hoping one of them sees this post soon.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:47 PM

So you expect a specialty shop to charge less than the standard hourly rate?

Doing the math...

$80/hr x 3hrs = $240
$110/hr x 8hrs = $880

My previous $300-$500 labor estimate would be right in the middle (giving those "Z specialty shops" some low-labor-cost credit for you). That's a good range of what to expect... I'd like to know what Nissan would charge you (most shops quote by what the dealer says is standard completion time).

Anyway, not trying to be a dick, but I don't expect experienced mechanics to give away hours of free labor.

Our member Thxone and a few others live in and near GA... hoping one of them sees this post soon.
Like I said, if it takes them 2 hrs instead of the dealer quoted 5.5 hours
2x80= 160
2x110= 220
That's what I'm looking for, not paying for labor hours not used because a book says it could take that long.

I understand your not being a dick, and I know I think outside the box when I assume a specialty shop should specialize in something making costs lower, kinda why I'm not looking for a shop for the most part... But would certainly use a fair one.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 AM

I literally just did mine, and if you were on the west coast I'd be there in a heartbeat. Good luck finding a kindred soul.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:16 PM

as suggested i called Gwinnett performance...talked to Vince Corry, his price is about the same, but he includes a ton more than just swapping the gasket. Very knowledgeable guy. Im still looking for local help as i havent decided whether or not im going to spend the money and keep it (Gwinnett Performance won the bid if I do), or sell it as is.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Yeah, I would have remembered Vince earlier if he actually showed up more often at the Georgia Z Club meetings.

If you use Gwinnett Performance, tell him Steve Judkins said that.

Search this Thread