Site Brainstorming Forum for brainstorming ideas on the site and products related to zdriver.com.

Fuel pump relay clicking but fuel pump is on. ..cat won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:11 PM

Fuel pump relay clicking but fuel pump is on. ..cat won't start

I have a1983 280zx. I've changed the fuel pump relay in the passenger next to the globe box. It still clicks and the car won't stay. I checked the fuel line right before the fuel rail and turned the key to on and fuel pumps out. It does get spark too, I think it's some electrical problem but if some one can pinpoint the problem I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if some one has the hose connection cylinder for sale I could use it.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

put a fuel gage in the line from the filter to the fpr to see if fuel pressure is correct. fuel coming out the hose doesn't mean a lot.
some stuff to do

Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen. Usually on a rainy night around Oh Dark Thirty.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion. DON'T USE DIELECTRIC GREASE.

Replace outer tie rod ends, and ball joints. replace the bushings with poly (don't forget to lube them as directed unless you like squeaky things). New shocks. Get new boots for power steering. all those things will make you think you are driving a different car. doing them piece meal is a waste you won't see a great improvement until you do the complete job. You need to get the car realigned after messing with the front. Have your tires in good shape and rebalance. Rear bushings nice too but more work and you won't notice as great an improvement. Rear shocks also because if the fronts are gone do are the rears.