For Sale (VIEW ALL) An online swap meet for sale of individual items. NO UNPAID ADVERTISING ALLOWED

1981 280 ZX Looking for a Home

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 12:47 AM

1981 280 ZX Looking for a Home

This is my 2nd 280 ZX.
Bought it used in '91 after the original '80 ZX was stolen.
It's an '81 ZX, copper colored, tan cloth interior & loaded.
It's got about 250K miles on the odometer.
Because of it's basic mechanical condition, I think it has about another 150K miles in it.

I have bought a new vehicle because the last service shop & most Z mechanics really only know how to maintain 240-280 Z's.
They meet a ZX & are lost. Not bright enough, I guess.

Early last year, the Z was taken in for service because of a leak in a fuel injector hose.
After all 6 injector hoses were replaced, the Z hasn't been the same.
After several returns (at least 3 returns for a week each), the bozo mechanics couldn't find the problem that they had created.
They told me to come get it, as there was no problem.
Yet, when I pick it up, after 15 minutes & it is warmed up it's dying out when the RPM drops below 1500.
The garage (Sunrise Z/Sunrise Motorsports in Glendale, CA) has since closed & left us classic Z owners in a bind.

I'm burned out.
This has been a great car & has many memories attached.
Now it has to be put out to pasture.

I would like to place the Z in the hands of someone who knows the vehicle & would keep it & maintain it.
Because it needs some work (paint, some upholstery & of course find out what the bozos did to the FI system) I would be willing to let it go for the very reasonable price of FREE.

If you get it & want to use it for parts or turn it into a street rod, I can't stop you.
But this is (was) a very good running, reliable & attractive car for many years.
If you understand how to maintain a ZX, this could be a minor project car that could be a gold mine.

Otherwise, I will donate to a Veterans charity & say goodbye.

Victor
818-692-0488

Last edited by BRAND-MAX; 01-08-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:07 PM

The response to the offer above has been overwhelming.
Accordingly, the cell phone ringer has been turned off to preserve my sanity.
Those callers who didn't leave messages (texts preferred) will not be responded to.
Those who show an interest in keeping the ZX operational will be given preference.

It's being kept in a tandem parking slot in my office building.
This means I'm using 2 parking spaces & the company is starting to bug me about the extra cost.
After the huge response, I went in to check it out today.
The battery is dead which is not surprising.
The battery has been removed & will be taken to a shop tomorrow for a full charge.
After it's running, hopefully by Wednesday 1/11/17, those whom I perceived to be serious about maintaining the car will be contacted.

Victor (vesprit@yahoo.com)
Old 01-08-2017, 07:30 PM
The Good Twin

Lots of interest on the Facebook group 280zx Drivers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/164690436882353/

Hopefully you can get a firm agreement with someone.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:07 PM

OK.
Even though the AAA installed battery was only a bit over a year old, it wouldn't hold a good charge.
So, the ZX now has a new Interstate Battery with 800 CCA.
It hadn't been started in a few weeks & sputtered a bit.
However, after warming up, the idle is steady & performance is smooth.
It will still stall occasionally when slowing down or stopping but that's why I'm willing to pass it on to someone who has the time & talent to fix & maintain it.
Likely an air leak was created when the FI hoses were replaced & the shop that created the situation couldn't find the problem.
Anyway, they are now closed so no use beating a dead horse.

Last April a Test Only Smog certification was due, in order to renew the registration.
As the car was still in the shop, a certificate of non-operation was filed with CA DMV & the fees paid.
Likely that means the ZX will have to be towed away & the glitch found before the Smog Test can be completed & the car re-registered.
The new owner will have to bring it up to code to make the vehicle street legal.

About a dozen photos of the ZX are saved in a Word document & included in the attachment. Hope you can access them.

Send a text & give your thoughts.

Victor
(818) 692-0488
Attached Files
Old 01-16-2017, 06:43 PM

I will give it a good home.
Jamal