Other Cars Discuss any info on other vehicles in here.

sr20det problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:52 PM

sr20det problem

hey i have an sr20det swap on an 89 240 and was trying to figure out a boost problem im having at around 15p of boost it starts to leak its sort of pulse sounding its in and out, i checked all connections so i was thinking it might be the bov spring, any thoughts or suggestions. thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 08:50 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by nismaniac
hey i have an sr20det swap on an 89 240 and was trying to figure out a boost problem im having at around 15p of boost it starts to leak its sort of pulse sounding its in and out, i checked all connections so i was thinking it might be the bov spring, any thoughts or suggestions. thanks
How do you know it's leaking down? From the cockpit, I can't imagine you being able to hear a small leak... if you heard something abnormal @ 15psi, it's prolly something big.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Externally Wastegated

What kind of blow off setup are you running? Also, does the boost gauge flutter at all? Check your piping from the turbo to the throttle body, it may have a loose connection somewhere.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by lifegrddude
What kind of blow off setup are you running? Also, does the boost gauge flutter at all? Check your piping from the turbo to the throttle body, it may have a loose connection somewhere.
\
its a greddy bov, it flutters and the suction also cuts in and out along with it. the reason i thought it might be the bov is because if the spring cant handle the pressure then it would cause the bov to blow off prematurely, also i hooked up a manual boost controller and it didnt do it anymore then i took that off and hooked my greddy boost controller again and then replaced the spring with a stronger one and it stopped, that doesnt make sense right i just got done doing this now im lost but i guess its fixed. thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
How do you know it's leaking down? From the cockpit, I can't imagine you being able to hear a small leak... if you heard something abnormal @ 15psi, it's prolly something big.
i guess i didnt word that properly that wasnt what i really ment but your right. any way read my other reply and tell me what you think its strange. thanks
Old 02-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Bad Speller

Well it depends on the BOV some are meant to handle so much. man youre boosting 15 PSi what turbo do you have? is it still stock or what? also when instaling the boost controler did you leave the stock boost controler or did you remove it?
Old 02-11-2006, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by bardabe
Well it depends on the BOV some are meant to handle so much. man youre boosting 15 PSi what turbo do you have? is it still stock or what? also when instaling the boost controler did you leave the stock boost controler or did you remove it?
well the turbo is kinda funny because i have no idea what it is, it came over with my typex rear and it looks bigger than the stock one so i threw it on. and you should have seen the short shifter that came over too it was sooo thick i dont think they make a shift **** over here that would screw onto it. stock boost controller is gone. i only have 15 tuned so i can run drag. i keep it at stock boost for driving, but it sucks if someone wants to race cause i have to quick switch to high boost which is set for 10 and then change the settings on my safc.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Bad Speller

hmmm. I think you might have a T28 with SAFC. ..... not bad but that;s the downside to SAFC you gotta keep punching numbers. that;s what;s cool about mine. he he he I got a T28 With ECU upgrade so I don't have to punch in numbers as of yet. but mbay later on I'll get 555cc injectors and maby a T3 TUrbo beef it up a little. Ypu still got the Stock Sidemount?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:27 AM

hmmm. I think you might have a T28 with SAFC. ..... not bad but that;s the downside to SAFC you gotta keep punching numbers. that;s what;s cool about mine. he he he I got a T28 With ECU upgrade so I don't have to punch in numbers as of yet. but mbay later on I'll get 555cc injectors and maby a T3 TUrbo beef it up a little. Ypu still got the Stock Sidemount?
damn you I want easy things lol! where did you get your ecu flashed at, im in the market but not sure where to go?
Old 02-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Bad Speller

I'm not sure. It;s either JWT or Anthlepy. it came with it reflashed when I bought the car. but uhm I;d honestly go with the Anthlepy tune. just because most SR20 and 240SX claim it;s really good. and cheaper than JWT. (Kinda like how the Ashspec Tune is to the Z32)
Old 02-14-2006, 10:43 PM

I'm not sure. It;s either JWT or Anthlepy. it came with it reflashed when I bought the car. but uhm I;d honestly go with the Anthlepy tune. just because most SR20 and 240SX claim it;s really good. and cheaper than JWT. (Kinda like how the Ashspec Tune is to the Z32)
awesome thanks ill have to look into that.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Bad Speller

also if you ever get a chance to do a timing chain tune up. uhm be sure to take off the tiping chain gide on top of the two cams. I was looking into it and it seems that the FSM says that the thing wears out and starts making a very anoying sound. and also get a bigger FPR because I honetly don;t thing the OEM one will do. it;s very small if you have noticed. so just upgrade it when you upgade fuel. U might also wanna look into getting a Z32 MAF.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:50 PM

also if you ever get a chance to do a timing chain tune up. uhm be sure to take off the tiping chain gide on top of the two cams. I was looking into it and it seems that the FSM says that the thing wears out and starts making a very anoying sound. and also get a bigger FPR because I honetly don;t thing the OEM one will do. it;s very small if you have noticed. so just upgrade it when you upgade fuel. U might also wanna look into getting a Z32 MAF.
awesome thanks for the timing chain advice i was actually concerned with that, big help thanks. as for the fpr i have one along with a full fuel upgrade and the z32maf, check below i have everything listed. but your right those are fairly inexspensive things to help push your car past stock hp, i would say a must have.