Motorsports This board is for Z Racers who compete in Autocross, Road Racing and Time Trials. Focus will be on car set up and modifications. Event coverage, and race parts for sale or trade.

Who to talk to, to Autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 06:54 PM

Who to talk to, to Autocross?

Hey guys, well i live in the bay area and i really want to get into autocrossing. The problem is that i dont know who to talk to or how to start. People are just telling me to go the scca website, but then what? I need more guidance. How do i get involved?
Thanks in advance!
Darrell
Old 01-05-2005, 07:32 AM

Here's the link to the San Francisco region SCCA autocrossing website. It has their upcoming schedule, a link to what to do for your first AX, as well as links to other clubs in the bay area that hold events and contacts.

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/

I believe you must be a member of SCCA to race in the SF region events, but most other clubs will allow non members to run.

Go for it, have fun and let us know how it goes! The bay area is probably the premier autocrossing area in the country, with more national champions than you can count... Prepare yourself to be humbled!

Tom
Old 01-05-2005, 12:13 PM

SFR SCCA also has a novice class that is explained on the web-site at http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Results...vicerules.html that puts you with beginners.

Last edited by zlalomz; 01-05-2005 at 12:15 PM. Reason: wrong url
Old 01-09-2005, 02:44 PM

Re: Alternatives to Bay Area

Tom is right - the Bay area has more than it's share of very fast drivers and they have a HUGE turnout (150-200 cars). Both of which can be intimidating to newbies.

If you're looking for a more laid back atmosphere - come down to Atwater (Castle Airbase) for a Fresno Chapter event. We usually have between 60 and 80 cars with numerous Z's running in a couple different classes. Any one of us would be happy to give you some advice on setting up the car for your class.

The lower turnout means 5 runs plus fun runs at the end of the day.

We don't have our schedule posted yet - but it should be on our web site within the next few weeks.

And if you want to go REALLY FAST.... go to an American Auto-X event (also held in Atwater - but the club is based in Sacramento).
Old 01-11-2005, 08:14 AM

I would add that for a first timer it probably makes the most sense to start with a smaller club. You'll get alot more help and track time that will help when you're first getting started.

Nothing against the SCCA events but they are often run at a very fast pace to deal with all the cars and this can be a little stressful if you're not used to it.

Cary
Old 01-11-2005, 10:12 AM

We have lost all of our sites in the Sacramento area and the smaller clubs have a harder time finding dates that are open to run in the few sites available. I haven't checked Nasa and Dennis Hales club schedule but I think they lost their site too. I would check how far Atwater is from you since that sounds ideal.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:24 PM
lww
Head Muckraker

Originally Posted by FPguy
We don't have our schedule posted yet - but it should be on our web site within the next few weeks.
What's the website where your club posts it's schedule?
Old 01-14-2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by lww
What's the website where your club posts it's schedule?

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Fresno/

Our awards banquet is tomorrow night - I'll find out when the schedule is to be posted.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:48 PM

Re: First event...

They finally posted the schedule of events for our auto-x season. Go to

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Fresno/

click on the schedule - you'll also find a map to the site.

Our first event is March 6th at Castle Airbase - Atwater.

Look for the Orange Z - running in the prepared group. Come over and talk to us.

We run in the first group and work in the second. They'll have a one hour lunch break - we'll be happy to help you out with the whole "first event" experience.

Steve