Motorsports This board is for Z Racers who compete in Autocross, Road Racing and Time Trials. Focus will be on car set up and modifications. Event coverage, and race parts for sale or trade.

VW radiator

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 08:54 PM

VW radiator

We just did an interesting swap last weekend. We installed an alluminum rabbit radiator in our FP car. It's a fraction of the weight but we're alittle worried about the cooling ability. We have an electric fan and the stock fan operating. The temp seems to stay in the 200 to 210 range sitting still and the same at highway speeds. We're concerned about running it during the heat of the summer in the central valley.

Anybody out there try this exchange?

Steve
Old 04-03-2003, 12:11 AM

Steve ,
Rumors have it that a mid 80's Camaro came with an aluminum radiator that fits right into a 1st gen Z. It even has the correct hose outlet locations for what I hear.

Not sure about the Rabbit one being enough. Are you using a pyrometer to check temps ?? What thermostat are you using ? Heck if you are using a 210 or even a 190 then the 210 degrees might be about right. Also if you are using an autometer gauge to verify the temps than use a pyrometer for sure to cehck temps.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:53 AM

VW Radiator

Steve,
What year of Rabbit was that and diesel or gas that you got the radiator out of? I just found out last night that my radiator is HOLY! I don't want to go back with a stock radiator or shell out the beans on a "racing" one yet.
Gary
Old 04-03-2003, 12:23 PM

We ran the VW radiator in white city oregon. The summer temps there are generally three digits and we didn't have a problem. We didn't run a thermostat (used a restrictor) and a swirlpot on the outlet of the rad hose.

The VW design should be a double pass type and generally has more area than the Datsun rad. Summit used to sell larger versions from Griffin that are supposed to cool up to 450 HP.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:41 PM

VW radiator swap

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm glad others have tried this.

We're running a 160 thermostat and it looks like our Summit temp guage is not very accurate. Our pyrometer seems to indicate the temp of the thermostat housing to be about 190 but the guage indicate 210. Whatever the actual temp - it's about 20 degrees warmer than with the stock ZX radiator (3 row) we used previously.

My concern is in the heat and under racing conditions. Our first event is the 13th so we'll see.

Steve
Old 04-03-2003, 06:11 PM

Hi Steve. I met you at last year's Hybrid Z meet in Rio Vista. I was the guy across from you at the swap meet. I wanted to mention the American Autocross Series, http://www.americanauto-x.com/
has moved to Castle Airport Park this year. Too far for me but you guys might want to check it out. Some National champions and runner ups in B prepared, C Prepared and E Mod. A good way to judge your speed. Steve Parmley
Old 04-03-2003, 09:12 PM

Thanks

Hi Steve,
Yes I remember you. Thanks for the info - I'll check it out. I hope the turnout doesn't go down for the Am. Autox series because of the distance.

I toyed with the idea of heading to the swap meet this year but the weather doesn't look good and we're low of stuff to sell.

Thanks

Steve