300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

new radiator and e-fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 02:40 PM

new radiator and e-fan

ok tomorrow i am replacing my radiator, it was really bad to the point where i had to put an e-fan on with the clutch fan and run the car with no t-stat just to keep it cooled down. (no heat is no big deal right now) so like i said im putting a new (used) radiator in tomorrow and i was curious if just the e-fan would be enough to keep it cool? taking the clutch fan off. keep in mind that there is no t-stat and i dont plan on putting one in anytime soon. some specs on the e-fan, its only 10 inches and it is wired from the battery to a switch inside and back to the fan. yes i was smart and put a fuse in it. i turn it on as soon as the car is started so that way i dont forget to. i forget what the cfm is on it but some people might know,

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...pe=528&PTSet=A

if im not mistaking it is that one but a different name. thanks in advance on any help.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:47 PM

Hey there - if you're putting a new radiator in your car, I'm not sure that you're gonna need the manual electric fan. My suggestion would be to fix what's wrong (fan clutch?) and set the auxillary electric fan up with a temp switch (this is a switch that has a temperature lead) and relay as an "emergency backup". Certainly there will be those that disagree with me, but do you really want to count on a relatively small electric fan to keep your engine from imploding? Take the $ cost out of the picture for a minute and think about how the engineers designed your car.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:46 PM

Don't buy another used radiator. A new dual core radiator is about $120 shipped from any number of online companies. If you plan on keeping your car for a while, it's just good sense.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:43 AM

i already have the radiator, got it cheap on ebay. im only going to have this Z for maybe another 2 months and then i will have my turbo model. so thats why im not really spending alot of money on it, just enough to get me through a couple more months. i wasnt really relying on the e-fan to keep it cool i was just thinking that maybe since i put the new radiator in and no t-stat the e-fan would keep it cool and i could sell the clutch setup. yea im also in dire need of money. thanks on the input though, much appreciated.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:19 PM

ended not doing the radiator until sunday because of other things i had to do to the car, but i did get it in. my Z is no longer overheating, thank god. i left the clutch fan on the car but when the weather cools down i might take it off if i still have the car by then, i probably will but i will also have my turbo Z. i have a couple other questions but i will post them in different threads since they have nothing to do with a radiator and e-fan.